An invention from Purdue University innovators may provide a new option to use directed energy for biomedical and defense applications.
The Purdue invention uses composite based nonlinear transmission lines (NLTLs) for a complete high-power microwave system, eliminating the need for multiple auxiliary systems. The interest in NLTLs has increased in the past few decades because they offer an effective solid-state alternative to conventional vacuum-based, high-power microwave generators that require large and expensive external systems, such as cryogenic electromagnets and high-voltage nanosecond pulse generators.
NLTLs have proven effective for applications in the defense and biomedical fields. They create directed high-power microwaves that can be used to disrupt or destroy adversary electronic equipment at a distance. The same technology also can be used for biomedical devices for sterilization and noninvasive medical treatments.
“We created a new NLTL device that reduces the bulkiness of current options and offers new opportunities to protect our country and help patients in a man-portable form factor,” said Andrew Fairbanks, a Ph.D. student and graduate research assistant in Purdue’s College of Engineering. “In engineering, we are concerned about size, weight, power and cost. Our invention helps address all of these.”
Allen Garner, an associate professor of nuclear engineering, led the Purdue team. The researchers created a novel device using composite-based NLTLs as complete high-power microwave systems, encompassing high-voltage pulse and high-power microwave formation. The Purdue device combines the elements of traditional NLTLs into a composite-based system and eliminates typical bulky auxiliary equipment.
The system is charged using a DC high-voltage supply and discharged using a high-voltage, gas-based switch. The system eliminates the need for external pulse generation and is more rugged due to the solid-state construction.
Original Article: All-in-one device uses microwave power for defense, medicine
More from: Purdue University
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Global and China Lethal and Non-Lethal Directed Energy Weapons Market Insights, Forecast to 2027
Pages Report] Check for Discount on Global and China Lethal and Non-Lethal Directed Energy Weapons Market Insights, Forecast to 2027 report by QYResearch Group. Lethal and Non-Lethal Directed Energy ...
- Directed Energy Research Centre of Abu Dhabi becomes first-in-region to replicate electromagnetic pulses from high-altitude nuclear reaction
Technology Innovation Institute (TII), the applied research pillar of Abu Dhabi’s Advanced Technology Research Council (ATRC), today announced that its Directed Energy Research Centre (DERC) has ...
- Shaheen, Menendez, Risch lead letter to Blinken asking for immediate appointment of official to address directed energy attacks
SIGN UP TO CONTINUEPrint Subscriber? Sign Up for Full Access!Please sign up for as low as 36 cents per day to continue viewing our website.Digital subscribers receiveUnlimited access to all stories ...
- Rubio, Shaheen, and Colleagues Request Blinken Immediately Appoint Official to Address Directed Energy Attacks
Washington, D.C. - U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) joined Senator Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH) in sending a bipartisan letter to U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken urging the immedia ...
- Shaheen, Menendez, Risch Lead Bipartisan Letter to Blinken Asking for Immediate Appointment of Official to Address Directed Energy Attacks
U.S. Senator Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH), a senior member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, led a bipartisan letter with SFRC Chairman Bob Menendez (D-NJ) and Ranking Member Jim Risch (R-ID) to ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
High-power microwave system
- Rapiscan Systems rolls out largest single install of its new 900M series in over 80 facilities across Washington DC
Security screening and detection technology expert Rapiscan Systems has completed its largest single install of the new Orio Metor 900M walkthrough metal detector and its 920CX X-ray scanner.
- Meller Optics, Inc. Introduces Sapphire Windows That Are Robust for Laser Weapon Systems
Meller Optics, Inc. has introduced new custom fabricated sapphire windows for use in laser weapon systems and autonomous technologies requiring robust and ultra-clear protective optics.
- Robots with an artificial intelligence system began operation in Dubai, UAE
Security robots model S5.2 Picard started to protect commercial real estate. Picard is the most advanced model of robots in the new S5.2 series introduced in 2019.Security robots of this model ...
- Microwave Network Equipment Market Size, Growth and Key Manufacturers – Ericsson, Huawei, Nokia, NEC, Aviat Networks, SIAE
The Microwave Network Equipment Market is expected to surge at a steady CAGR in the coming years, states the latest Verified Market Research® report. The publication offers an insightful take on the ...
- Latest results from cosmic microwave background measurements
The universe was created about 13.8 billion years ago in a blaze of light: the big bang. Roughly 380,000 years later, after matter (mostly hydrogen) had cooled enough for neutral atoms to form, light ...