(Fig. 1) A schematic illustration of the demonstrated ultrafast and energy efficient switching of ferromagnet driven by a single femtosecond laser pulse. The laser pulse demagnetizes the ferrimagnetic layer and generates a spin current, which travels through the nonmagnet and finally induces the switching of the ferromagnet. The lower image shows an observed magneto-optical Kerr effect micrograph showing the switching of the ferromagnetic layer. Credit: Shunsuke Fukami and Stéphane Mangin
The digital data generated around the world every year is now counted in zettabytes, or trillions of billions of bytes – equivalent to delivering data for hundreds of millions of books every second. The amount of data generated continues to grow. If existing technologies remained constant, all the current global electricity consumption would be devoted to data storage by 2040.
The established technology utilizes an ultrafast laser pulse whose duration is as short as 30 femto seconds – equal to 0.0000000000000003 seconds. The laser pulse is applied to a heterostructure consisting of ferrimagnetic GdFeCo, nonmagnetic Cu and ferromagnetic Co/Pt layers.
“Previous research, conducted by a subset of the current research group, observed magnetic switching of the ferromagnetic layer after the ferrimagnetic layer had been switched.” This time, the researchers uncovered the mechanism accounting for this peculiar phenomena and found that a flow of electron spin, referred to as a spin current, accompanying the switching of ferrimagnetic GeFeCo plays a crucial role in inducing the switching of ferromagnetic Co/Pt (Fig. 1).
Based on this insight, they demonstrated a much faster and less energy consuming switching of the ferromagnet. This was driven by a single laser pulse without a switching of the ferrimagnetic layer. “This is very good news for future data-storage applications as this technology can provide an efficient scheme to write digital information to a magnetic medium, which is currently based on a magnetic-field-induced switching,” says Shunsuke Fukami, co-author of the study.
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Data Storage Corporation Announces the Appointment of Industry Veteran Joseph Lupo as Director, Service Deliveryon April 28, 2021 at 5:08 am
Data Storage Corporation (OTC: DTST) (“DSC” and the “Company”), a provider of diverse business continuity, disaster recovery protection, and cloud infrastructure solutions and services, today ...
- Data Storage Market Size 2021, Research Report Covers Updated Data Considering Post Impact of Covid-19 on Share, and Future Demand 2027on April 28, 2021 at 3:35 am
The Global Data Storage market size is projected to reach USD million/Billion by 2027, from USD million/Billion in 2021, at a CAGR of % during 2021-2027. Get Premium Sample of the Report: ...
- Video surveillance data: Choosing the right cloud storage approachon April 28, 2021 at 12:08 am
Over the next few years, a huge amount of video data will be accumulating. In recent years we’ve seen video surveillance systems gain increased popularity among both public sector bodies looking to ...
- Encoding data on plastic molecules could lead to breakthroughs in storage technologyon April 27, 2021 at 9:10 am
UT researchers have encoded a Jane Austen quote on a tiny plastic molecule. They hope the study will help prove the viability of new tech for storing data.
- Secure Data Recovery Becomes The Authorized Data Recovery Provider For ASUSTOR Storageon April 27, 2021 at 1:06 am
SECURE DATA RECOVERY is pleased to announce an exclusive partnership with ASUSTOR. Owners of ASUSTOR products can now rely on the unrivaled expertise ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Energy-Efficient Data Storage
- Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR)on April 30, 2021 at 12:41 pm
DOE is one of 11 federal agencies participating in the SBIR-STTR programs enacted under the Small Business Innovation Development Act of 1982. The SBIR-STTR programs work with eligible small ...
- Green Data Center Market Size to Expand at a CAGR of 22% during 2021-2026on April 30, 2021 at 7:47 am
According to the recent report by IMARC Group, titled "Green Data Center Market: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2021-2026," the global green data center market ...
- Insights on the MRAM Global Market to 2026 - by Product Type, Application and Geographyon April 30, 2021 at 1:08 am
The "MRAM Market - Forecasts from 2021 to 2026" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The ...
- Housing Initiative Partnership, Pepco and Emera Technologies Awarded $200,000 Grant by the Maryland Energy Administration for Innovative Microgrid Community in Fairmount Heightson April 29, 2021 at 4:31 pm
Housing Initiative Partnership (HIP), a green nonprofit affordable housing developer based in Prince George’s County, along with Pepco and Emera Techn ...
- Maryland Energy Administration awards grant to low-to-moderate income housing developer for solar microgridon April 29, 2021 at 12:13 pm
The six battery-backup equipped, net-zero homes will be marketed to first-time homebuyers earning 80% or less of the area median income.