via UMass Amhearst
“Can start-ups succeed in making food from the air?”
Increasing environmental challenges have led scientists to rethink how protein can be produced. Traditional processes require a lot of space on land or sea, resulting in a high carbon footprint and reduced resources. A new article in Chemical & Engineering News, the weekly newsmagazine of the American Chemical Society, details how some start-ups are revolutionizing protein production by using bacteria to ferment gases.
The consumption of meat-free proteins are gaining popularity around the world, particularly those made from soy and pea crops. Companies are now taking this trend even further with fermentation processes that cultivate protein from starches, sugars or gases, resulting in foods that are more environmentally friendly than meat but contain the same protein content, which could lead to “a paradigm shift in agriculture,” writes Senior Editor Alex Scott. Early reports claim that gas-to-protein processes will require much less time, land and water compared to conventional protein from animals or plants. Experts also say that biomass made with gas fermentation, which contains up to 70% protein, has the potential to reduce greenhouse gas emissions substantially.
Gas-to-protein technology is on the cusp of being commercialized, with several companies working to perfect the processes, which tend to be inefficient and costly. Although the goal is to make healthy, environmentally friendly protein for human consumption, companies are currently testing their approaches by creating animal feed from gases, which could also reduce agricultural greenhouse gas emissions and land use. While cost and efficiency remain a barrier to widespread use of hydrogen and carbon dioxide from the air to make protein, experts believe overcoming those factors could lead to a new era in food production.
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Protein from air
- Sealed Air (SEE) Bets on Strong Demand Amid High Input Costson April 9, 2021 at 6:11 am
COVID-19 Induced Demand to Aid Growth Around 63% of Sealed Air’s revenues stems from packaging of protein, foods, fluids and goods for the medical and life sciences industries. The food care business ...
- Targets identified from exercised heart: killing multiple birds with one stoneon April 9, 2021 at 3:19 am
Exercise targets several molecules and protects hearts against many of these physiological and pathological stimuli. Accordingly, it is widely recognized as an effective therapeutic strategy for CVD.
- A Mattress in the Kitchen and More Details From the March Restaurant D-Liston April 8, 2021 at 5:59 am
"In all freezers, observed multiple raw animal proteins including beef and chicken stored in plastic ... "Observed 2 cans of "odor scent/air fresheners" placed on top of a soda bag box in the back ...
- Protein-from-air tech company gets 1st climate fund financingon April 8, 2021 at 3:43 am
The capital loan now granted will go towards starting commercial-scale production of protein for human consumption made from atmospheric carbon dioxide and electricity. According to Solar Foods CEO ...
- MicroRNA treatment modulates osteogenic differentiation potential of mesenchymal stem cells derived from human chorion and placentaon April 7, 2021 at 9:44 am
Mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) are important in regenerative medicine because of their potential for multi-differentiation. Bone marrow, chorion and placenta have all been suggested as potential ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Protein from air
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- DA to provide farm inputs for Cebu’s school-based food programon April 11, 2021 at 11:28 pm
(Photo courtesy of DA-7) CEBU CITY – The Department of Agriculture in Central Visayas (DA-7) has assured support to the provincial government's “SUGBUsog sa Eskuylahan” program in a bid to enhance ...
- “Food systems in West Africa are resilient, but also vulnerable”on April 11, 2021 at 11:00 pm
Together with his colleagues, researcher Bart de Steenhuijsen Piters of Wageningen Economic Research examined the resilience of food systems in ...
- Baby Food & Drink Market 2021 Analysis by Global Key Players- Danone, Mead Johnson, The Kraft Heinz, Arla, Friso, Abbott, Hain Celestialon April 11, 2021 at 10:58 pm
The research report focuses on the leading competitors of the Baby Food & Drink Market and provides information such as the company overview, product portfolio, key developments, price, cost, value, ...
- Wyoming Food Coalition accepting applications for AmeriCorps Vista volunteeron April 11, 2021 at 9:56 pm
The Wyoming Food Coalition is seeking a full-time person in the Lander area to help increase production and consumption of Wyoming foods while extending access to people living ...
- Food and Drink Market 2021 Is thriving Across the Globe by Key Segments, Regional Analysis by Top Countries data, Growth Size and Forecast to 2026on April 11, 2021 at 7:17 pm
What Was Global Market Status of Food and Drink Market? What Was Capacity, Production Value, Cost and PROFIT of Food and Drink Market? What Is Current Market Status of Food and Drink Industry? What’s ...