A sample of the electromagnetic shielding material made by Empa – a composite of cellulose nanofibres and silver nanowires. Image: Empa
Protection against electromagnetic interference
- Electric motors and electronic devices generate electromagnetic fields that sometimes have to be shielded in order not to affect neighboring electronic components or the transmission of signals. High-frequency electromagnetic fields can only be shielded with conductive shells that are closed on all sides. Often thin metal sheets or metallized foils are used for this purpose. However, for many applications such a shield is too heavy or too poorly adaptable to the given geometry. The ideal solution would be a light, flexible and durable material with extremely high shielding effectiveness.
- The researchers have succeeded in producing a composite of cellulose nanofibers and silver nanowires, and thereby created ultra-light fine structures which provide excellent shielding against electromagnetic radiation. The effect of the material is impressive: with a density of only 1.7 milligrams per cubic centimeter, the silver-reinforced cellulose aerogel achieves more than 40 dB shielding in the frequency range of high-resolution radar radiation (8 to 12 GHz) – in other words: Virtually all radiation in this frequency range is intercepted by the material.
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Polymer film protects from electromagnetic radiation, signal interferenceon February 22, 2021 at 2:03 pm
As electronic devices saturate all corners of public and personal life, engineers are scrambling to find lightweight, mechanically stable, flexible, and easily manufactured materials that can shield ...
- Global Shale Gas Processing Equipment Market Comprehensive Analysis By Industry Value, Market Size, Leading Players And Growth Forecast To 2025on February 11, 2021 at 2:47 am
Eon Market Research has recently added a concise research on Shale Gas Processing Equipment Market by Evolving Technology Industry Strategies Business Competitors Growth rate Key Companies and ...
- Global Wheelchair Platform Stairlifts Market Opportunity Analysis, Vendor Landscape, Growth, Revenue and Forecast 2021-2025on February 11, 2021 at 2:29 am
Eon Market Research has recently added a concise research on Wheelchair Platform Stairlifts Market by Evolving Technology Industry Strategies Business Competitors Growth rate Key Companies and ...
- Copper Foil Market to Garner $21.8 Billion, Globally, By 2027 at 7.2% CAGR, Says Allied Market Researchon February 9, 2021 at 5:10 am
Allied Market Research published a report, titled, "Copper Foil Market by Product Type (Rolled Copper Foil and Electrodeposited Copper ...
- Global Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Shielding Equipment Market 2020 Industry Outlook – Parker Hannifin, KGS Kitagawa Industrieson February 2, 2021 at 10:58 am
The newly added report titled Global Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Shielding Equipment Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 to the database of ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Aerogels against electromagnetic radiation
- In A Blow To Environmental Justice Advocates, State Regulators Approve Controversial East Boston Substationon February 22, 2021 at 6:50 pm
The unanimous vote came at the end of almost 20 hours of public meetings during which several high-profile elected officials, and more than 50 members of the public, pleaded with the board to vote no.
- Can we suck energy from black holes?on February 20, 2021 at 3:57 am
A black hole is an object so massive that nothing could escape the grasp of its gravity. A remarkable prediction of Einstein's theory of general relativity—the theory that connects space, time, and ...
- Apple eyes next-generation biometric scanners for under-display Touch IDon February 19, 2021 at 1:07 pm
The patent is signaling the company’s emphasis on biometric photodetector technology for under-display touch identification to be deployed on its devices.
- Physicists Propose a 'Force Field' to Protect Sensitive Quantum Computers From Noiseon February 19, 2021 at 9:04 am
Creating a quantum computer requires an ability to stroke the edges of reality with the quietest of touches. Too much 'noise' and the delicate state of the system collapses, leaving you with a very ...
- Applications of Polyimide Nano-Aerogelson February 18, 2021 at 5:54 am
These properties support the use of PI nano-aerogels within practically any field, particularly applications involving electromagnetic radiation such as anticollision detectors used in the bumpers of ...