A sample of the electromagnetic shielding material made by Empa – a composite of cellulose nanofibres and silver nanowires. Image: Empa
Protection against electromagnetic interference
- Electric motors and electronic devices generate electromagnetic fields that sometimes have to be shielded in order not to affect neighboring electronic components or the transmission of signals. High-frequency electromagnetic fields can only be shielded with conductive shells that are closed on all sides. Often thin metal sheets or metallized foils are used for this purpose. However, for many applications such a shield is too heavy or too poorly adaptable to the given geometry. The ideal solution would be a light, flexible and durable material with extremely high shielding effectiveness.
- The researchers have succeeded in producing a composite of cellulose nanofibers and silver nanowires, and thereby created ultra-light fine structures which provide excellent shielding against electromagnetic radiation. The effect of the material is impressive: with a density of only 1.7 milligrams per cubic centimeter, the silver-reinforced cellulose aerogel achieves more than 40 dB shielding in the frequency range of high-resolution radar radiation (8 to 12 GHz) – in other words: Virtually all radiation in this frequency range is intercepted by the material.
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Electrically conductive cement could enable new applications thanks to nanocarbon blackon April 20, 2021 at 1:45 pm
Concrete is one of the main ingredients we use to build our cities, but most innovation around it has been focused around improving its load bearing ...
- Joint design methodology based on the electromagnetic shielding effectiveness capabilitieson April 18, 2021 at 1:45 pm
The objective of this study is to provide guidelines for the best design of joints against electromagnetic interference (EMI). Six different joint geometries with different gap tolerances are ...
- silver epoxyon April 3, 2021 at 5:00 pm
To provide some electromagnetic shielding, [Serge] added a nice uniform layer of silver epoxy to the Kevlar, which carries an added bonus of strengthening the material. He fired up the sewing ...
- Deep-Drawn EMI Shieldingon March 31, 2021 at 5:00 pm
It produces thin-gauge metal structures that also provide good environmental sealing. The structures can also be overmolded to be conductive or nonconductive. Deep-drawn components combined with ...
- Electromagnetic Shielding Market 2021 Advancement And Precise Outlook- Chomerics, Laird PLC., PPG Industries, Inc., Henkel AG & Co. KGaAon March 31, 2021 at 4:01 am
The report studies the Electromagnetic Shielding Market with many aspects of the industry like the market size, market status, market trends, and forecast, the report also provides brief ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Aerogels against electromagnetic radiation
- Has China Devised Its Very Own EA-18G Growler?on April 21, 2021 at 7:10 pm
The Growler is one of a small number of military aircraft types dedicated to the task of jamming hostile radars.
- On 5G And The Fear Of Radiationon April 14, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Perhaps ironically, while the danger from something like UV radiation is often underestimated, other types of electromagnetic ... excused as a coping mechanism against stress and the like.
- An ounce of prevention against EMP threats, if not now, when?on April 4, 2021 at 12:53 pm
The fact is that America’s electric power grid and much of its critical infrastructure today is totally vulnerable to an electro-magnetic pulse (EMP) and, should such an event occur, the consequences ...
- Electromagnetic fields of nanostructures visualized in 3D for the first timeon March 29, 2021 at 12:48 am
Whether for microscopy, data storage or sensor technology, many advanced technological applications that require specific functions rely on the structure of the electromagnetic ... was used to measure ...
- How to reduce exposure to cell phone radiationon March 26, 2021 at 12:08 am
Cell phones do produce radiation, even if it’s quite limited. They use radiofrequency energy, which is a type of electromagnetic ... Keeping your smartphone against your body is not the best ...