via Northwestern University
New biomaterial could shield against harmful radiation
- Called selenomelanin, biomaterial is a new form of melanin enriched with selenium
- Selenomelanin is lighter and more versatile than traditional radioprotective materials such as lead
- In the lab, selenomelanin protected cells from radiation better than cells treated with other forms of melanin
Packing for outer space? Here’s one thing you won’t want to forget.
Northwestern University researchers have synthesized a new form of melanin enriched with selenium. Called selenomelanin, this new biomaterial shows extraordinary promise as a shield for human tissue against harmful radiation.
“Given the increased interest in space travel and the general need for lightweight, multifunctional and radioprotective biomaterials, we’ve become excited about the potential of melanin,” said Northwestern’s Nathan Gianneschi, who led the research. “It occurred to our postdoctoral fellow Wei Cao that melanin containing selenium would offer better protection than other forms of melanin. That brought up the intriguing possibility that this as-yet undiscovered melanin may very well exist in nature, being used in this way. So we skipped the discovery part and decided to make it ourselves.”
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Feed has no items.
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Hundreds of Russians face a lingering death from radiation poisoning after digging trenches at Chernobyl disaster site
HUNDREDS of Russians face a lingering death from radiation poisoning after being ordered to dig trenches at the Chernobyl disaster site. Tyrant Vladimir Putin’s troops set to work in the most ...
- EMI Shielding market to Reach USD 6412 Million by 2028 with a CAGR of 3.0% | Valuates Reports
Global Multimodality Radiation Shielding Market Insights and Forecast to 2028 - Global Sun Shielding Products Market Insights and Forecast to 2028 - Global X-ray Shielding Glass Market Insights and ...
- How fears of electromagnetic radiation spawned a snake-oil industry
The “sound healing energy” website that sells it claims that it’s made up of “special minerals and Earth substances” that attract and soak up “specific wavelengths of cosmic radiation.” It’s ...
- Examples of 'shield' in a sentence
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content that does not reflect the opinions or policies of Collins, or its parent company HarperCollins. Now trials have proved ...
- This Lead-Lined Locomotive Hauled Experimental Nuclear Reactors
Back before we figured out that nuclear power isn't the end-all-be-all, the United States government considered all manner of loony applications for nuclear fission. It figured we could blow up entire ...