A NEWLY DEVELOPED FABRIC REPELS WATER AND ALLOWS MOISTURE TO EVAPORATE FROM THE SKIN.
Air conditioning and other space cooling methods account for about 10% of all electricity consumption in the U.S., according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration. Now, researchers reporting in ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces have developed a material that cools the wearer without using any electricity. The fabric transfers heat, allows moisture to evaporate from the skin and repels water. Watch a video about the new fabric here.
Cooling off a person’s body is much more efficient than cooling an entire room or building. Various clothing and textiles have been designed to do just that, but most have disadvantages, such as poor cooling capacity; large electricity consumption; complex, time-consuming manufacturing; and/or high cost. Yang Si, Bin Ding and colleagues wanted to develop a personal cooling fabric that could efficiently transfer heat away from the body, while also being breathable, water repellent and easy to make.
The researchers made the new material by electrospinning a polymer (polyurethane), a water-repelling version of the polymer (fluorinated polyurethane) and a thermally conductive filler (boron nitride nanosheets) into nanofibrous membranes. These membranes repelled water from the outside, but they had large enough pores to allow sweat to evaporate from the skin and air to circulate. The boron nitride nanosheets coated the polymer nanofibers, forming a network that conducted heat from an inside source to the outside air. In tests, the thermal conductivity was higher than that of many other conventional or high-tech fabrics. The membrane could be useful not only for personal cooling, but also for solar energy collection, seawater desalination and thermal management of electronic devices, the researchers say.
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Designs to cool down your home this summeron July 24, 2021 at 10:05 pm
You don’t have to sacrifice design for comfort in the summer. Many good-looking pieces can offer decor and function, according to experts.
- Too hot to sleep? 10 bedding products to keep you cool all night longon July 23, 2021 at 3:02 pm
Pedic, Luxome, Purple, and more, these mattresses, sheets, pillows, and other bedding will help you sleep on hot summer nights.
- This 'Miracle' Cooling Weighted Blanket Helps You Fall Asleep Faster—Even If You're a Hot Sleeperon July 23, 2021 at 7:47 am
But if you're a hot sleeper, being too snug can trap a lot of heat. Thankfully, Amazon shoppers have discovered a solution in the ZonLi Cooling Weighted Blanket, which is designed to keep you cool and ...
- The Best Cooling Sheets for Hot Sleeperson July 21, 2021 at 5:30 am
Put sweaty nights in the past with breathable sheets. These expert-reviewed sets keep you cool and comfy all night long.
- 10 Clothing Items That'll Keep You Cool In A Heatwaveon July 20, 2021 at 6:00 am
Here are 10 clothing items that will keep you cool in a heatwave, from cooling bras to comfy slides to breezy maxi dresses.
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Personal cooling fabric
- This 'Miracle' Cooling Weighted Blanket Helps You Fall Asleep Faster—Even If You're a Hot Sleeperon July 23, 2021 at 7:53 am
Amazon shoppers have discovered a solution in the ZonLi Cooling Weighted Blanket, which is designed to keep you cool and comfortable throughout the night while reaping the benefits of a weighted ...
- Miami Marlins player one of two USA flagbearers in Tokyo Olympicson July 21, 2021 at 10:31 am
US Olympic flag bearers to wear new cooling jacketA Miami Marlins player who grew up in Miami is one of two USA flagbearers for the Tokyo Olympics.Eddy Alvarez won the silver medal for speedskating in ...
- Struggling to sleep in the heat? This cooling blanket absorbs body heat, helping you sleep better on hot nights - and it's on saleon July 20, 2021 at 8:51 am
Designed with Japanese Arc-chill Q-Max 0.34 fibres cooling fabric, the innovative design keeps you cool by absorbing heat, reducing your skin temperature helping you stay cool and comfortable ...
- DEAL OF THE DAY: The ‘magic’ cooling blanket that keeps you ‘cool all night’ is on saleon July 20, 2021 at 1:40 am
More info Although reviewers are calling this blanket ‘magic’ the technology behind it isn’t witchcraft, it’s the power of Japanese Arc-chill Q-Max 0.34 fibres cooling fabric. The ...
- 11 Hot Summer Home Upgrades to Keep Coolon July 19, 2021 at 3:00 pm
Sweltering temperatures, even in traditionally moderate climates in the United States, have prompted many to look for summer upgrades to help you stay cool. Consider some of the Amazon top-rated ...