A NEWLY DEVELOPED FABRIC REPELS WATER AND ALLOWS MOISTURE TO EVAPORATE FROM THE SKIN.
Air conditioning and other space cooling methods account for about 10% of all electricity consumption in the U.S., according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration. Now, researchers reporting in ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces have developed a material that cools the wearer without using any electricity. The fabric transfers heat, allows moisture to evaporate from the skin and repels water. Watch a video about the new fabric here.
Cooling off a person’s body is much more efficient than cooling an entire room or building. Various clothing and textiles have been designed to do just that, but most have disadvantages, such as poor cooling capacity; large electricity consumption; complex, time-consuming manufacturing; and/or high cost. Yang Si, Bin Ding and colleagues wanted to develop a personal cooling fabric that could efficiently transfer heat away from the body, while also being breathable, water repellent and easy to make.
The researchers made the new material by electrospinning a polymer (polyurethane), a water-repelling version of the polymer (fluorinated polyurethane) and a thermally conductive filler (boron nitride nanosheets) into nanofibrous membranes. These membranes repelled water from the outside, but they had large enough pores to allow sweat to evaporate from the skin and air to circulate. The boron nitride nanosheets coated the polymer nanofibers, forming a network that conducted heat from an inside source to the outside air. In tests, the thermal conductivity was higher than that of many other conventional or high-tech fabrics. The membrane could be useful not only for personal cooling, but also for solar energy collection, seawater desalination and thermal management of electronic devices, the researchers say.
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- 10 Top-Rated Sheets On Amazon That Will Transform Your Bed Into A Luxe Hotel Roomon June 18, 2021 at 12:15 pm
From affordable sheet sets that come in an array of colors and patterns to luxurious, hotel-worthy linens, these are the best sheets you can buy on Amazon.
- 5 Undeniably Cool Projects Built by Designers and Their Dadson June 18, 2021 at 10:06 am
From a souped-up Airstream to an experimental cabin in the woods, these creations benefited from some paternal wisdom.
- I’m a Cool Mom! Photographer Kathy Lo On How Dressing Her Kids Inspired Her Labelon June 18, 2021 at 9:00 am
I’m a Cool Mom! is a new column for Vogue where we explore how moms get dressed, what’s in their diaper bag (or if they are anti-diaper bag!), and how their style has developed while having kids.
- How to stay cool during Northern California's heatwaveon June 17, 2021 at 10:11 pm
As temperatures heat up, heat exhaustion, dehydration and heat strokes threaten those exposed. But ignoring your symptoms could put you at risk for a variety of heat-related illnesses.
- How to keep your dog cool in the heat - from cooling mats and coats, to splash pools and elevated dog bedson June 16, 2021 at 10:52 am
While we’re all soaking up the sun, however, our beloved dogs might not be enjoying the heat so much. It’s vital that dogs are kept cool in warmer temperatures, otherwise they could become ill. Animal ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Personal cooling fabric
- Best cooling pajamason June 17, 2021 at 9:55 am
If you are in the market for cooling pajamas, one of the most important things to consider is the fabric used. While brushed flannel pajamas or fleece pajamas are great for staying warm on winter ...
- 12 Best Cooling Comforters For Hot Sleepers To Stay Sweat-Free And Dry In 2021on June 7, 2021 at 7:44 pm
A cooling, moisture-wicking comforter that's ... or even want a fluffy comforter made with eco-friendly fabrics, there are thousands of options online that can feel daunting to sift through.
- Culp, Unifi combine on cooling mattress fabrics with Repreve yarnon June 3, 2021 at 3:06 pm
The ChillSense fibers are made to transfer heat from the body to the fabric more quickly, creating a cool sensation to the touch. “The cooling technology is inherent within the yarn, not ...
- Aldi launch cooling bedding range for summer - prices from £3.99 upon June 3, 2021 at 2:08 am
The new Cooling Down for Summer collection features ... the collection includes duvet sets in patterned blue and grey colours. Made from a fabric blend of cotton and tencel, the material helps ...
- Cooling Fabrics Market Grows With Demand In Sports Apparel Industryon June 2, 2021 at 3:43 am
Cooling Fabrics Global Market Report 2021 ... financial services and technology. Call us now for personal assistance with your purchase: Europe: +44 207 1930 708 Asia: +91 88972 63534 Americas ...