via Kläui Lab
Diagram of a device architecture which employs the piezoelectric effect
A research team of Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz has developed a technique that will potentially halve the energy required to write data to servers and make it easier to construct complex server architectures
- Whether it’s sending the grandparents a few pictures of the kids, streaming a movie or music, or surfing the Internet for hours, the volume of data our society generates is increasing all the time. But this comes at a price, since storing data consumes huge amounts of energy. Assuming that data volumes continue to grow in future, the related energy consumption will also increase by several orders of magnitude. For example, it is predicted that energy consumption in the IT sector will rise to ten petawatt-hours, or ten trillion kilowatt-hours, by 2030. This would be equivalent to around half of the electricity produced worldwide.
- But what can be done to reduce the amount of power needed by servers to function? Data is usually stored in a storage layer with the help of magnetization. To write or delete the data, electric currents are passed through ferromagnetic multilayer structures, where the flowing electrons generate an effective magnetic field. The magnetization in the storage layer “senses” this magnetic field and changes its direction accordingly. However, each electron can only be used once. An important step forward in energy-efficient data storage involves the construction of a ferromagnetic storage layer that includes a heavy metal such as platinum. As the current flows through the heavy metal, the electrons switch back and forth between the heavy metal and the ferromagnetic layer. The great advantage of this technique is that the electrons can be re-used multiple times, and the current required to write the data decreases by a factor of up to a thousand.
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Concept for a new storage mediumon February 22, 2021 at 3:59 pm
Physicists have proposed an innovative new data storage medium. The technique is based on specific properties of antiferromagnetic materials that had previously resisted experimental examination.
- Investors Bet $40M On Startup LyteLoop’s Vision of Data Storage in Spaceon February 22, 2021 at 10:18 am
The company plans to launch a network of satellites that would store data by beaming light back and forth between the nodes.
- Healthcare Data Storage Market Research Analysis, Share, Insights, Regional Report & Forecast to 2020-2027on February 22, 2021 at 9:16 am
Healthcare companies are building their IT infrastructures to be more flexible as well as scalable to meet the growing ...
- Using Big Data Analytics to produce high-quality Big Data Storageon February 19, 2021 at 12:48 am
Using Big Data Analytics to produce high-quality Big Data Storage By Andrei Khurshudov, Chief Technologist, Big Data Analytics and Insights, Michael Crump, and Mark Brewer, CIO, Seagate Technology - ...
- Data Storage Corporation Enters into Joint Venture with Canadian Technology Firm Able-One to ...on February 19, 2021 at 12:44 am
The Joint Venture between Data Storage Corporation and Able-One is intended to fill a vital need for cloud services in Canada among businesses that run IBM Power Systems on IBM i, AIX and Linux ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Data storage energy consumption
- Global Advanced Battery Energy Storage System Market Size, Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends and Forecast to 2027on February 22, 2021 at 1:25 pm
Selbyville, Delaware, Global Advanced Battery Energy Storage System Market explores the essential factors of Advanced Battery Energy Storage System industry covering current scenario, market demand ...
- How Energy Storage will be Part of Every Energy Project Going Forwardon February 18, 2021 at 11:02 pm
How Energy Storage will be Part of Every Energy Project Going Forward By Davion M. Hill, Global Energy Storage Segment Leader, DNV GL - Going forward, 2019-2020 will look like the year that energy ...
- A quantitative evaluation of computational methods to accelerate the study of alloxazine-derived electroactive compounds for energy storageon February 18, 2021 at 3:07 am
Alloxazines are a promising class of organic electroactive compounds for application in aqueous redox flow batteries (ARFBs), whose redox properties need to be tuned further for higher performance.
- Residential and Energy Storage Powers Generac to Record 28.8 Percent Fourth Quarter Increaseon February 13, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Generac posted $761.1 million in sales for the fourth quarter of 2020 compared to $590.9 million in the fourth quarter of 2019, a 28.8-percent year-over-year increase, with demand for residential ...
- Speedy Expansion of Renewables Capacities in Emerging Economies to Benefit the Battery Energy Storage Market Growthon February 11, 2021 at 10:32 pm
The global battery energy storage market size is projected to reach USD 19.74 billion by 2027, exhibiting a CAGR of 20.4% ...