via Kläui Lab
Diagram of a device architecture which employs the piezoelectric effect
A research team of Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz has developed a technique that will potentially halve the energy required to write data to servers and make it easier to construct complex server architectures
- Whether it’s sending the grandparents a few pictures of the kids, streaming a movie or music, or surfing the Internet for hours, the volume of data our society generates is increasing all the time. But this comes at a price, since storing data consumes huge amounts of energy. Assuming that data volumes continue to grow in future, the related energy consumption will also increase by several orders of magnitude. For example, it is predicted that energy consumption in the IT sector will rise to ten petawatt-hours, or ten trillion kilowatt-hours, by 2030. This would be equivalent to around half of the electricity produced worldwide.
- But what can be done to reduce the amount of power needed by servers to function? Data is usually stored in a storage layer with the help of magnetization. To write or delete the data, electric currents are passed through ferromagnetic multilayer structures, where the flowing electrons generate an effective magnetic field. The magnetization in the storage layer “senses” this magnetic field and changes its direction accordingly. However, each electron can only be used once. An important step forward in energy-efficient data storage involves the construction of a ferromagnetic storage layer that includes a heavy metal such as platinum. As the current flows through the heavy metal, the electrons switch back and forth between the heavy metal and the ferromagnetic layer. The great advantage of this technique is that the electrons can be re-used multiple times, and the current required to write the data decreases by a factor of up to a thousand.
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Pure Storage: Fiscal Q2 Earnings Snapshoton August 26, 2021 at 12:24 pm
Pure Storage Inc. (PSTG) on Wednesday reported a loss of $45.3 million in its fiscal second quarter. The Mountain View, California-based company said it had a loss of 16 cents per share. Earnings, ...
- Why Pure Storage Stock Soared 14.5% Todayon August 26, 2021 at 10:54 am
The stock of Pure Storage , a provider of computer data storage hardware, was up 14.5% at 12:12 p.m. EDT on Thursday, even though the company reported only the very ...
- XFM memory spec paves the way for small, speedy removable storageon August 26, 2021 at 8:57 am
XFM Embedded and Removable Memory Devices provide an NVMe over PCI Express interface in a smaller, thinner form factor than the M.2 cards typically used for that today. That could enable removable, ...
- SP4C3 Launches AI Cloud Computing and Distributed Storage Softwareon August 26, 2021 at 8:24 am
ZUG, SWITZERLAND / ACCESSWIRE / August 26, 2021 / A new and revolutionary infrastructure with AI cloud computing and distributed storage, SP4C3, is launched. The goal of this new software is to expand ...
- Best Online Backup for NAS Device Cloud Storageon August 26, 2021 at 8:09 am
Cloud Backup of your NAS device is an extra source of security for your data. Explore the best Online Backup for NAS now.
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Data storage energy consumption
- Battery Energy Storage System Market Is Booming Worldwide | Tesla, LG Chem, Panasonicon August 26, 2021 at 4:20 am
Advance Market Analytics published a new research publication on Battery Energy Storage System Market Insights to 2026 with 232 pages and enriched with self explained Tables and charts in presentable ...
- Global Aerospace Energy Storage Competition Situation 2021|Meggitt, Kokam, Eatonon August 26, 2021 at 1:06 am
LOS ANGELES UNITED STATE This research study is one of the most detailed and accurate ones that solely focus on the global Aerospace Energy Storage market It sheds light on critical factors that ...
- KBRA Releases Research – The Coming Charge: Energy Storage Impacts on Project and Corporate Credit Qualityon August 24, 2021 at 2:13 am
Kroll Bond Rating Agency (KBRA) releases research on the potential impacts of energy storage technologies on project and corporate finance credit quality. Key Takeaways While energy storage ...
- Thermal Energy Storage Systems Market Size by Regional Production Volume, Consumption Volume, Revenue and Growth Rate to 2027on August 23, 2021 at 11:28 pm
Aug 24, 2021 (The Expresswire) -- "Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry" “Thermal Energy Storage Systems ...
- Kokam Supplies Battery Energy Storage System to Electricité De Tahiti: Virtual Synchronous Generator to Help Decarbonize Electricity Generationon August 23, 2021 at 1:00 am
Kokam's Lithium-ion NMC battery technology cost-effectively provides high-power output to replace the network's spinning reserve diesel generators SEOUL, South Korea, Aug. /PRNewswire/ -- Kokam Co., ...