via Kläui Lab
Diagram of a device architecture which employs the piezoelectric effect
A research team of Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz has developed a technique that will potentially halve the energy required to write data to servers and make it easier to construct complex server architectures
- Whether it’s sending the grandparents a few pictures of the kids, streaming a movie or music, or surfing the Internet for hours, the volume of data our society generates is increasing all the time. But this comes at a price, since storing data consumes huge amounts of energy. Assuming that data volumes continue to grow in future, the related energy consumption will also increase by several orders of magnitude. For example, it is predicted that energy consumption in the IT sector will rise to ten petawatt-hours, or ten trillion kilowatt-hours, by 2030. This would be equivalent to around half of the electricity produced worldwide.
- But what can be done to reduce the amount of power needed by servers to function? Data is usually stored in a storage layer with the help of magnetization. To write or delete the data, electric currents are passed through ferromagnetic multilayer structures, where the flowing electrons generate an effective magnetic field. The magnetization in the storage layer “senses” this magnetic field and changes its direction accordingly. However, each electron can only be used once. An important step forward in energy-efficient data storage involves the construction of a ferromagnetic storage layer that includes a heavy metal such as platinum. As the current flows through the heavy metal, the electrons switch back and forth between the heavy metal and the ferromagnetic layer. The great advantage of this technique is that the electrons can be re-used multiple times, and the current required to write the data decreases by a factor of up to a thousand.
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Pooling the strengths of data and modelson April 16, 2021 at 11:35 am
The availability of higher-quality biomedical and clinical data is widening the reach and usefulness of data-fitted biophysical models and of data-driven mathematical and statistical modelling.
- Balancing storage and cost while sorting your dataon April 15, 2021 at 11:48 pm
A little forethought may be all you need to keep storage costs down. Then you can deploy the most appropriate storage solution and scale it out accordingly.
- Data Storage Market 2021 Top Manufacturers, Industry Share, Regional Investments and Future Trends by 2028on April 14, 2021 at 9:54 pm
The growing demand for cloud drives owing to enormous data collection is expected to foster the growth of the market, states Fortune Business Insights in a report, titled “ Data Storage Market ...
- Demand for Healthcare Data Storage Market to Rise Significantly from Key End-use Industry Sectorson April 14, 2021 at 10:05 am
The global healthcare data storage market is estimated to surpass 8 100 1 million by 2027 exhibiting a CAGR of 14 2 from 2020 to 2027 The report presents a comprehensive analysis of the global ...
- Global Optical Data Storage Device Market – Growing Trade Among Emerging Economies Opening New Opportunitieson April 14, 2021 at 7:18 am
Apr 14, 2021 (Market Insight Reports) -- New York, US, The business report released by Zion Market Research on Global Optical Data Storage Device Market Research Report Covers, Future Trends, Size, ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Data storage energy consumption
- Hyperscale Storage and Energy Consumptionon April 15, 2021 at 2:00 pm
Computerworld covers a range of technology topics, with a focus on these core areas of IT: Windows, Mobile, Apple/enterprise, Office and productivity suites, collaboration, web browsers and blockchain ...
- Residential Energy Storage Market Size to Reach USD 13,910 Million by 2027 at CAGR 12.9% - Valuates Reportson April 14, 2021 at 9:30 am
The Residential Energy Storage market size is projected to reach USD 13,910 Million by 2027, from USD 6,716.5 Million in 2020, at a CAGR of 12.9% during the forecast period 2022-2027. Major factors ...
- Iron Mountain Data Centers Among the First to Track Renewable Energy by the Houron April 14, 2021 at 5:00 am
This is ultimately the path needed to decarbonize energy use,” stated Chris Pennington ... secure destruction, as well as data centers, cloud services and art storage and logistics, Iron Mountain ...
- Energy Trader Gunvor Joins Global Carbon Capture & Storage Instituteon April 14, 2021 at 4:39 am
Gunvor Group, one of the world's leading physical energy commodities traders, has joined the Global Carbon Capture & Storage (CSS) Institute, an international think tank whose mission is to accelerate ...
- Stem, Inc. Successfully Transitions 345MWh Southern California Energy Storage Portfolio to its ...on April 14, 2021 at 3:32 am
Stem, Inc. (“Stem” or the “Company”), a global leader in artificial intelligence (AI)-driven clean energy storage services, today announced it has completed six months of successful operation of the ...