A new system combines video of a scene from multiple cameras to created 4D visualizations. This makes it possible to view the scene from a variety of angles, place people into new scenes or, in this case, remove someone from a scene.
Carnegie Mellon Approach Requires Neither Studio nor Specialized Cameras
Researchers at Carnegie Mellon University have demonstrated that they can combine iPhone videos shot “in the wild” by separate cameras to create 4D visualizations that allow viewers to watch action from various angles, or even erase people or objects that temporarily block sight lines.
Imagine a visualization of a wedding reception, where dancers can be seen from as many angles as there were cameras, and the tipsy guest who walked in front of the bridal party is nowhere to be seen.
The videos can be shot independently from variety of vantage points, as might occur at a wedding or birthday celebration, said Aayush Bansal, a Ph.D. student in CMU’s Robotics Institute. It also is possible to record actors in one setting and then insert them into another, he added.
Bansal and his colleagues worked around that limitation by using convolutional neural nets (CNNs), a type of deep learning program that has proven adept at analyzing visual data. They found that scene-specific CNNs could be used to compose different parts of the scene.
The CMU researchers demonstrated their method using up to 15 iPhones to capture a variety of scenes — dances, martial arts demonstrations and even flamingos at the National Aviary in Pittsburgh.
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- TechnoStruct Academy Launches International Post Graduate Certification in BIM Managementon January 25, 2021 at 1:14 am
TechnoStruct Academy, the educational enterprise of TechnoStruct, LLC launched BIM Ready+ International Post Graduate certification in BIM Management. India’s first BIM Management ...
- Maxon Announces the Acquisition of Japanese Distributor Businesson January 20, 2021 at 2:20 am
visual effects and visualization. Maxon’s innovative product portfolio helps artists supercharge their creative workflows. Its product lines include the award-winning Cinema 4D suite of 3D ...
- Maxon Announces the Acquisition of Japanese Distributor Businesson January 19, 2021 at 8:52 am
Maxon has acquired the business segment of its Japanese distributor to strengthen relationship with broadcast and design industries in the region.
- Medical Imaging Workstations Market Size– Forecasts to 2026on January 12, 2021 at 10:02 pm
Furthermore, the increasing number of breast imaging procedures, along with the increased installation base of 4D/3D imaging platforms ... By Component (Hardware, Visualization & Software ...
- Advanced (3D/4D) Visualization Systems Market To Reach USD 4.83 Billion By 2027 | Growth, Pricing, Features, Reviews & Comparison of Alternativeson January 12, 2021 at 6:43 am
According to the latest report, the Global Advanced (3D/4D) Visualization Systems Market is projected to hit USD 4.83 billion by 2027. Increased demand for advanced (3D/4D) visualization has been ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Convolutional neural nets
- Using deep neural networks to identify features that may predict transcription factor bindingon January 25, 2021 at 7:01 am
A team of researchers at the University of California, San Diego, has developed a deep neural network system to identify features that may predict transcription factor binding. In their paper ...
- Intel’s Neuromorphic Chip Just Got More Accessible for Mainstream AIon January 25, 2021 at 2:02 am
While the promise of neuromorphic computing going mainstream is still mostly unrealized, there are steps being taken to bring it closer to reality.
- Legrand launches a smart video doorbell equipped with high definition wide angle cameraon January 24, 2021 at 9:47 pm
Installers across the UK can further enhance their security installation capability, after Legrand unveiled its first ever smart video doorbell to join a suite of connected products from its ...
- Brinks Home Security announces long-term contract with its major Authorised Dealer, Skyline Securityon January 24, 2021 at 9:27 pm
Monitronics International, Inc. and its subsidiaries doing business as Brinks Home Security has announced that it has reached an agreement on a new long-term contract with its major Authorised ...
- How Facebook’s Latest Image Description Tool For The Visually Impaired Really Workson January 23, 2021 at 2:34 am
The first version of AAT was developed using human-labelled data. The data was then used to train a deep convolutional neural network.