via Northwestern University
Smart sponge could clean up oil spills
- Sponge can absorb more than 30 times its weight in oil and be reused up to several dozen times
- Secret lies in its oleophilic, hydrophobic, magnetic (OHM) nanocomposite coating
- Process can turn any cheap sponge into a smart sponge for environmental remediation
- The team also is exploring the smart sponge for removing agricultural pollution from water
A Northwestern University-led team has developed a highly porous smart sponge that selectively soaks up oil in water.
With an ability to absorb more than 30 times its weight in oil, the sponge could be used to inexpensively and efficiently clean up oil spills without harming marine life. After squeezing the oil out of the sponge, it can be reused many dozens of times without losing its effectiveness.
“Oil spills have devastating and immediate effects on the environment, human health and economy,” said Northwestern’s Vinayak Dravid, who led the research. “Although many spills are small and may not make the evening news, they are still profoundly invasive to the ecosystem and surrounding community. Our sponge can remediate these spills in a more economic, efficient and eco-friendly manner than any of the current state-of-the-art solutions.”
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- 10 Best Dii Dish Sponges April 2021on April 9, 2021 at 4:51 am
Product Name Popularity Score Quality Score Sentiment Score Sales Volume; 1: DII Cotton Heavyweight Plaid Dish Cloths, 12 x 12 Drying and Cleaning Kitchen ...
- Handsome & friends are ready to go home with you!on April 7, 2021 at 3:06 pm
I'm super smart and learn fast! So what do you think ... I don't mean to brag, but I've often been called the sweetest cat EVER! I am a sponge for affection, and I'll soak up whatever love you're ...
- Scientists develop eco-friendly pollen sponge to tackle water contaminantson April 6, 2021 at 8:59 pm
The sponge readily absorbed the motor oil in less than 2 minutes ... Apart from its main campus, NTU also has a campus in Novena, Singapore's healthcare district. Under the NTU Smart Campus vision, ...
- Development of source technology for the use of wearable devices without rechargingon April 4, 2021 at 9:00 pm
Despite the continued development and commercialization of various wearable electronic devices, such as smart bands, progress with these devices has been curbed by one major limitation, as they ...
- Could This Be the Future of Oil Spill Cleanup?on April 2, 2021 at 1:20 pm
A Northwestern University-led team created the 'OHM sponge,' which is able to soak up 30 times its weight in oil and be reused up to several dozen times. The coating allows any regular sponge to be ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Oleophilic hydrophobic magnetic nanocomposite coating
- Journal of hazardous materialson April 3, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Transformation of iopamidol and atrazine by peroxymonosulfate under catalysis of a composite iron corrosion product (Fe/Fe3O4): Electron transfer, active species and reaction pathways.