The world’s vast natural resources need to be summarized in a single economic metric.
To have a more sustainable world, people need to put a dollar value on nature’s contributions.
In this week’s interdisciplinary journal – Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, an international group of scholars show that gross domestic product (GDP) fails to fully capture nature’s contributions to economic activity and human well-being. In addition to the D – domestic, there needs to be an E for ecosystem. Gross ecosystem product (GEP) summarizes the economic value of nature’s contributions to humans.
Valuing nature’s contribution globally is a critical step to affording the world’s forests, grasslands, fertile soils, wetlands and biodiversity the protections and respect given to traditional economic powerhouses.
“We must bring ecosystem services to the business table for a sustainable future,” said Jianguo “Jack” Liu, director of Michigan State University’s Center for Systems Integration and Sustainability. “The world is losing a tremendous amount of its natural capital – clean water, biodiversity, sequestering greenhouse gases. It’s time we give people a way to understand what they stand to lose economically.”
Both GEP and GDP use accounting measures to estimate the economic value of goods and services. The group assigned GEP to western China’s Qinghai Province, which is known as the water tower of east and southeast Asia as it is the source of three major rivers. Qinghai also is a biodiversity hotspot that has suffered from population increases and overgrazing.
By applying new accounting to Qinghai’s natural capital, the group was able to not only put Qinghai’s ecosystems on a balance sheet, but also show only a third of the economic value generated in the province’s ecosystems was provided to its residents. The rest were exported to other provinces of China and other countries of the world. This demonstrates the importance of human-nature interactions not only within a place but also across adjacent and distant places on this metacoupled planet.
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Gross ecosystem product
- ZenHub doubles down on automation for GitHub project managementon February 23, 2021 at 9:02 am
ZenHub, a 7-year-old startup that offers developers a project management and collaboration tool for GitHub, is doubling down on automation.
- TD-LTE Ecosystems Market Analysis, Regional Outlook, Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026on February 22, 2021 at 4:10 am
The global TD-LTE Ecosystems market was million USD in 2018 and is expected to million USD by the end of 2025, growing at a CAGR of between 2019 and 2025. Top Manufacturers/Key-players of TD-LTE ...
- Mobile Phone Insurance Ecosystem Market is Expected to Thrive at Impressive CAGR by 2031on February 18, 2021 at 1:53 pm
The latest research report provides a complete assessment of the Global Mobile Phone Insurance Ecosystem market ...
- Ecosystem approach needed to enhance competitiveness: CUTS Chiefon February 18, 2021 at 12:05 am
CUTS International, Secretary General, Pradeep Mehta has said that the whole ecosystem approach is required to plan and successfully implement measures aimed at enhancing competitiveness and ...
- Smartsheet Ushers Enterprises into New Era of Dynamic Work with Expanded Partner Ecosystem and New Product Innovationson February 17, 2021 at 2:10 pm
Smartsheet , the enterprise platform for dynamic work, today announced a series of ecosystem partners and product innovations that support enterprises as they adapt to the evolving nature of work. As ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Gross ecosystem product
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- How to get the most out of your staff when they’re working from homeon February 18, 2021 at 11:21 pm
It’s more relevant because people are losing out on social interaction and networking ... they had to run against the grain of human nature. “So what has changed is that the way to run an ...
- Opinion: Will conference rooms help or hurt in the return to work?on February 17, 2021 at 2:04 am
First, expectations for the quality and level of personal interaction that are possible ... another potential twist to all of this). Plus, human nature being what it is, once people start ...
- Biomimetic and flexible piezoelectric mobile acoustic sensors with multiresonant ultrathin structures for machine learning biometricson February 12, 2021 at 10:32 pm
See allHide authors and affiliations Flexible resonant acoustic sensors have attracted substantial attention as an essential component for intuitive human-machine interaction (HMI ... by mimicking the ...
- Covid Restrictions Might Factor Into Avalanche Deaths, Experts Sayon February 9, 2021 at 1:59 am
“That affects your interactions with people at the grocery ... That is the science. The human nature part of the equation is the variable that will determine how many more lives are lost.
- Twilio cofounder Jeff Lawson: Business leaders should listen to their engineers about when to scrap a projecton February 8, 2021 at 6:14 am
It indicates a way to close an interaction, or dismiss a notification ... tell the business leader the honest truth. It's just human nature; a lot of human beings do not like to be the bearer ...