A research team led by Shinshu University’s Tsuyoshi Takata, Takashi Hisatomi and Kazunari Domen succeeded in developing a photocatalyst that can split water into hydrogen and oxygen at a quantum efficiency close to 100%.
The team consisted of their colleagues from Yamaguchi University, The University of Tokyo and National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST).
The team produced an ideal photocatalyst structure composed of semiconductor particles and cocatalysts. H2 and O2 evolution cocatalysts were selectively photodeposited on different facets of crystalline SrTiO3(Al-doped) particles due to anisotropic charge transport. This photocatalyst structure effectively prevented charge recombination losses, reaching the upper limit of quantum efficiency.
This study refined the design and operating principle for advancing water splitting methods with a high quantum efficiency. The knowledge obtained in this study will propel the field of photocatalytic water splitting further to enable the scalable solar hydrogen production.
(Images:Structure and function of the developed photocatalyst for efficient water splitting.)
This study was reviewed in News & Views and selected as a Hot Topic with the same issue and journal.
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Blake Masters is splitting the difference between Donald Trump and Peter Thiel
In campaign ads and stump speeches, Blake Masters is playing Trump’s greatest hits. He complains about “wokeness,” talks openly about American decline, and demands that the government finish building ...
- 'You've got to make these things a priority': Rep. Raymond says city took too long to apply for water funding, hadn't applied since 2015
After Laredo Mayor Pete Saenz indicated last week the Texas Water Advisory Board shot down all 14 water projects slated to improve the water infrastructure of the city, Rep. Richard Raymond has ...
- Ansel Elgort makes out with mystery woman in Italy, sparks Violetta split rumors
The actor has been romantically linked to on-again, off-again girlfriend Violetta Komyshan since they met attending LaGuardia High School in 2012.
- Water Based Coating Market Size Is Expected To CAGR of 6.64% from 2021 To 2027 | 103 Pages Report
Water Based Coating Market size is reaching USD 18322.59 million, with Major Companies: Target Coatings, ICA Group, Sherwin-Williams, BASF Intermediates, Coatings & ...
- Holtec plans to announce Pilgrim Station water sample results by next month
Holtec announced it would release water sample results from the Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station by the end of September.
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Williams Invests in Technology to Generate Zero-Emission Hydrogen with Natural Gas
Williams (NYSE: WMB) today announced a direct investment in Aurora Hydrogen, a company developing technology that converts natural gas to hydrogen with zero carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions. Aurora ...
- Hydrogen Blending into California’s Natural Gas System Looking to ‘Real World’ Tests
Injecting hydrogen into California’s existing natural gas distribution infrastructure may increase leaks, a study sponsored by the state’s regulators has ...
- Toyota’s Cartridge Helps Make Hydrogen Portable
Hydrogen has long been touted as the solution to cleaning up road transport. When used in fuel cells, the only emissions from its use are water, and it eliminates the slow recharging problem of ...
- Aurora Hydrogen raises $10M, but will its process decarbonize or facilitate tar sand exploitation?
Aurora said its microwave-based approach can make hydrogen using 80% less electricity than the cleanest form of hydrogen production and with less carbon emissions than the cheapest.
- The Hydrogen Stream: Fuel cells for backup power
The PEM fuel cell test in New York demonstrated the viability of this technology at 3 MW, the first time at the scale of a backup generator at a data center. Meanwhile, a Spanish-Indian venture will ...