A research team led by Shinshu University’s Tsuyoshi Takata, Takashi Hisatomi and Kazunari Domen succeeded in developing a photocatalyst that can split water into hydrogen and oxygen at a quantum efficiency close to 100%.
The team consisted of their colleagues from Yamaguchi University, The University of Tokyo and National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST).
The team produced an ideal photocatalyst structure composed of semiconductor particles and cocatalysts. H2 and O2 evolution cocatalysts were selectively photodeposited on different facets of crystalline SrTiO3(Al-doped) particles due to anisotropic charge transport. This photocatalyst structure effectively prevented charge recombination losses, reaching the upper limit of quantum efficiency.
This study refined the design and operating principle for advancing water splitting methods with a high quantum efficiency. The knowledge obtained in this study will propel the field of photocatalytic water splitting further to enable the scalable solar hydrogen production.
(Images:Structure and function of the developed photocatalyst for efficient water splitting.)
This study was reviewed in News & Views and selected as a Hot Topic with the same issue and journal.
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- N Carolina couple split jackpot thanks to 2 winning ticketson August 27, 2021 at 1:36 pm
A North Carolina couple split a nearly $1 million lottery jackpot thanks to two ... HONOLULU (KHON2) -- Board of Water Supply crews are working to repair a 12-inch water main break along Kealahou ...
- Global Water-hammer Arrestor Market 2021 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2026on August 27, 2021 at 1:20 pm
Pages Report] Check for Discount on Global Water-hammer Arrestor Market 2021 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2026 report by Global Info Research. The Water-hammer Arrestor ...
- Jackson City Council split on one-mill tax increase for police payon August 27, 2021 at 12:42 pm
After two hours of deliberation Friday, members of the Jackson City Council were no closer to knowing whether there was enough support to push through a tax increase to fund police pay raises in next ...
- Kate Bosworth wears dungarees and ditches her wedding ring as she takes water ...on August 27, 2021 at 4:51 am
The Blue Crush star, 38, wore a white racer-back tank top beneath the denim jumpsuit and stayed comfy in box-fresh Reebok ...
- Booming Colorado town asks, ‘Where will water come from?’on August 27, 2021 at 4:00 am
Go West, young man,” Horace Greeley famously urged. The problem for the northern Colorado town that bears the 19th-century newspaper editor’s name: Too many people have heeded his advice.
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- The Hydrogen Stream: 2 GW green hydrogen project in Chile, new push from South Koreaon August 27, 2021 at 6:06 am
Furthermore, the Indian government is proposing to mandate using green hydrogen in fertilizer and refining and Japanese automotive manufacturer Toyota wants to assemble integrated dual fuel cell (FC) ...
- World first as float (sheet) glass fired at Pilkington UK, St-Helens using 100 percent hydrogenon August 27, 2021 at 5:05 am
Just one week after the Government’s Hydrogen Strategy was released, trials have started in the Liverpool City Region to produce float (sheet) glass using hydrogen. The natural gas fossil fuel, ...
- Worldwide Hydrogen Peroxide Industry to 2026 - by Grade, End-use and Region - ResearchAndMarkets.comon August 27, 2021 at 4:58 am
The "Global Hydrogen Peroxide Market Outlook to 2026" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
- Spanish consortium wants to simplify hydrogen production through photoelectrocatalysison August 27, 2021 at 3:08 am
Spanish energy giants Repsol and Enagás are planning to build an electrolyzer based on photoelectrocatalysis at an industrial complex owned by the oil company in Puertollano in 2024. The device ...
- Octopus Hydrogen to supply green hydrogen to ZeroAvia for HyFlyer IIon August 27, 2021 at 1:46 am
Octopus Hydrogen, Octopus Energy Group’s newly established hydrogen arm, will provide 100% green hydrogen to ZeroAvia’s R&D center at Cotswold Airport in the UK during the testing, certification and ...