Credit: Adapted from ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2020, DOI: 10.1021/acsami.0c03110
Fitness tracker bracelets and watches provide useful information, such as step count and heart rate, but they usually can’t provide more detailed data about the wearer’s health. Now, researchers reporting in ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces have developed smart electronic glasses (e-glasses) that not only monitor a person’s brain waves and body movements, but also can function as sunglasses and allow users to control a video game with eye motions.
Devices that measure electrical signals from the brain (electroencephalogram; EEG) or eyes (electrooculogram; EOG) can help diagnose conditions like epilepsy and sleep disorders, as well as control computers in human-machine interfaces. But obtaining these measurements requires a steady physical contact between skin and sensor, which is difficult with rigid devices. Suk-Won Hwang and colleagues wanted to integrate soft, conductive electrodes into e-glasses that could wirelessly monitor EEG and EOG signals, ultraviolet (UV) intensity, and body movements or postures, while also acting as a human-machine interface.
The researchers built the glasses’ frame with a 3D printer and then added flexible electrodes near the ears (EEG sensor) and eyes (EOG sensor). They also added a wireless circuit for motion/UV sensing on the side of the glasses and a UV-responsive, color-adjustable gel inside the lenses. When the sensor detected UV rays of a certain intensity, the lenses changed color and became sunglasses. The motion detector allowed the researchers to track the posture and gait of the wearer, as well as detect when they fell. The EEG recorded alpha rhythms of the brain, which could be used to monitor health. Finally, the EOG monitor allowed the wearer to easily move bricks around in a popular video game by adjusting the direction and angle of their eyes. The e-glasses could be useful for digital healthcare or virtual reality applications, the researchers say.
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Smart electronic glasses
- Electric vehicle companies you may not know: Canooon February 22, 2021 at 12:50 pm
A spotlight on one of the lesser known electric vehicle companies, Canoo. The EV manufacturer is based out of Los Angeles.
- Smart Glass Market Size, Growth, Share 2021 Report to 2024: Industry Insights, Company Overview and Investment, Market and Top Manufacturerson February 22, 2021 at 2:43 am
Smart Glass Market 2021 report tells about the production process, raw materials and equipment suppliers, various production associated prices, historical and autonomous price, earnings, need and ...
- Smart Mirrors Market to Set New Growth Story: Magna International, Electric Mirror, Perseus Mirrorson February 18, 2021 at 8:51 am
Keep yourself up-to-date with latest market trends and changing dynamics due to COVID Impact and Economic Slowdown globally. Maintain a competitive edge by sizing up with available business ...
- Automotive Glass Market Gain Impetus due to the Growing Demand over 2020-2030on February 15, 2021 at 2:31 pm
Future Market Insights has announced the addition of the “2020 Analysis and Review: Automotive Glass Market by Glass Type – Laminated Glass and Tempered Glass for 2020 ...
- The Worldwide Ultra-thin Glass Industry is Expected to Reach $14.3 Billion by 2025on February 12, 2021 at 11:34 pm
The Ultra-thin Glass Market by Thickness, Manufacturing Process (Float, Fusion, Down-Draw), Application (Semiconductor Substrate, Touch Panel Display, Fingerprint Sensor), End-use Industry, and Region ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Smart electronic glasses
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Madison Baptist Church revitalizes historic stained glass windowson February 22, 2021 at 1:26 pm
The historic stained glass windows lining the sanctuary of Madison Baptist Church on Main Street in Madison have been given new life after a $76,000 project replaced yellow dingy protection-linings ...
- Spigen Announces a Glass Solution for the Galaxy S21 Serieson February 22, 2021 at 1:02 pm
Spigen announced today their first release of a tempered glass screen protector for the latest Samsung Galaxy S21 Series. Leveraging their partnership with Samsung’s Official Accessory Program, Spigen ...
- Europe-bound migrants found among recycling glass, toxic ashon February 22, 2021 at 11:11 am
Spanish authorities say they have found and rescued 41 migrants in the past four days who tried to reach continental Europe from North Africa, some of them hiding inside a container of discarded glass ...
- Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB review: Premium design, ample airflow, and tons of glass makes for an outstanding PC caseon February 22, 2021 at 7:00 am
The new Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB is a big, beautiful case with a relatively steep price tag. Is it worth the dough? I built a PC inside to see what it's all about.
- Measuring Glass Market Development Status (2022-2031), By Top-Vendor: Thermo Fisher Scientific and Corningon February 22, 2021 at 6:53 am
A recent systematic review report on “ Measuring Glass Market Survey Report 2021 Along with Statistics, Forecasts till 2031 | Changing the Face of Consumer Goods Industry”, came out Market.us research ...