Credit: Adapted from ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2020, DOI: 10.1021/acsami.0c03110
Fitness tracker bracelets and watches provide useful information, such as step count and heart rate, but they usually can’t provide more detailed data about the wearer’s health. Now, researchers reporting in ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces have developed smart electronic glasses (e-glasses) that not only monitor a person’s brain waves and body movements, but also can function as sunglasses and allow users to control a video game with eye motions.
Devices that measure electrical signals from the brain (electroencephalogram; EEG) or eyes (electrooculogram; EOG) can help diagnose conditions like epilepsy and sleep disorders, as well as control computers in human-machine interfaces. But obtaining these measurements requires a steady physical contact between skin and sensor, which is difficult with rigid devices. Suk-Won Hwang and colleagues wanted to integrate soft, conductive electrodes into e-glasses that could wirelessly monitor EEG and EOG signals, ultraviolet (UV) intensity, and body movements or postures, while also acting as a human-machine interface.
The researchers built the glasses’ frame with a 3D printer and then added flexible electrodes near the ears (EEG sensor) and eyes (EOG sensor). They also added a wireless circuit for motion/UV sensing on the side of the glasses and a UV-responsive, color-adjustable gel inside the lenses. When the sensor detected UV rays of a certain intensity, the lenses changed color and became sunglasses. The motion detector allowed the researchers to track the posture and gait of the wearer, as well as detect when they fell. The EEG recorded alpha rhythms of the brain, which could be used to monitor health. Finally, the EOG monitor allowed the wearer to easily move bricks around in a popular video game by adjusting the direction and angle of their eyes. The e-glasses could be useful for digital healthcare or virtual reality applications, the researchers say.
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Smart electronic glasses
- In-Depth Information: Change the view of Advanced Glass Marketon April 14, 2021 at 6:03 am
Moreover, it is extensively used in various electronic gadgets ... These varieties include security glass, Nano channel glass, smart glass, thin glass, bioactive glass, and self-cleaning glass. Nippon ...
- Worldwide Hermetic Packaging Industry to 2026 - Increasing Need to Protect Highly Sensitive Electronic Components is Driving Growthon April 13, 2021 at 4:58 am
The numerous electronic applications involve the usage of the Glass tubes where some discrete ... coupled with increased penetration of smart communication devices like smartphones is expected ...
- Smart Glass Market Size, Growth, Revenue Analysis and Forecast 2021 to 2030on April 6, 2021 at 11:12 pm
Besides, SPD smart glass promises high stability against UV rays, providing enough natural lighting. Polymer dispersed liquid crystal (PDLC) glass finds substantial use in electronic devices.
- Study: Smart glass could make large buildings energy efficienton April 6, 2021 at 11:07 am
Smart glass would reduce the reliance on artificial lighting by ... system-based micromirror arrays are integrated inside insulation glazing and operated by an electronic control system. The mirror ...
- Xiaomi InkPalm 5 is a $91 eReader with a 5.2 inch electronic paper displayon April 5, 2021 at 8:18 am
In its home country, Xiaomi also sells a line of eBook readers featuring electronic paper displays. And the latest is a model called the Xiaomi InkPalm 5 that’s smaller and cheaper than many other ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Smart electronic glasses
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Local glass artist spreads joy through his hand-crafted creations | Made in SAon April 14, 2021 at 10:22 am
"I always wanted to be an artist," Parr said. “I started kind of just making drinking glasses and it felt good to me.” Creating art in many different forms and fashions for the last 20 years, its when ...
- 2022 Audi Q4 e-tron and Q4 Sportback e-tron revealed: More affordable EVson April 14, 2021 at 10:15 am
while the 2022 Audi Q4 Sportback e-tron gets a sloped roofline at the rear trunk. It also adds a spoiler midway up the rear glass, bisecting the window and adding aerodynamic efficiency. The decision ...
- LOW-E Glass Market 2021 is estimated to clock a modest CAGR of 3.3% during the forecast period 2021-2026 With Top Countries Dataon April 14, 2021 at 2:10 am
"Global LOW-E Glass market size is projected to reach USD 29370 million by 2026, from USD 24170 million in 2020, at a CAGR of 3.3% During 2020-2026. " Global ' LOW-E Glass Market " 2021-2026 ...
- E.C. Glass dispatches Jefferson Forest, advances to Region 4D volleyball championshipon April 13, 2021 at 7:30 pm
Glass will play in the region title game for the first time since 2012, when it made a trip to the state final four.
- Glass House Farms Announces 4/20 Day Trip, An In-Person and Virtual Celebrationon April 13, 2021 at 6:00 am
followed by Glass House Fest, an in-person and virtual celebration presented in partnership with Jam in the Van, featuring performances by critically acclaimed musicians Flying Lotus, Blackillac, ...