via Washington University in St. Louis
‘Surfing attack’ hacks Siri, Google with ultrasonic waves
Ultrasonic waves don’t make a sound, but they can still activate Siri on your cellphone and have it make calls, take images or read the contents of a text to a stranger. All without the phone owner’s knowledge.
Attacks on cell phones aren’t new, and researchers have previously shown that ultrasonic waves can be used to deliver a single command through the air.
However, new research from Washington University in St. Louis expands the scope of vulnerability that ultrasonic waves pose to cellphone security. These waves, the researchers found, can propagate through many solid surfaces to activate voice recognition systems and — with the addition of some cheap hardware — the person initiating the attack can also hear the phone’s response.
The results were presented Feb. 24 at the Network and Distributed System Security Symposium in San Diego.
“We want to raise awareness of such a threat,” said Ning Zhang, assistant professor of computer science and engineering at the McKelvey School of Engineering. “I want everybody in the public to know this.”
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Wireless Network Security Market 2021 Industry Size, Share, Price, Trend and Forecast to 2026on January 16, 2021 at 10:27 pm
Wireless Network Security Market 2021 Industry Size, Share, Price, Trend and Forecast to 2026 Jan 16, 2021 6:35 AM ET ...
- Mobile Data Security Software Market is Booming Worldwide | Silicon Labs, Intel, Salesforceon January 14, 2021 at 9:09 pm
Latest released the research study on Global Mobile Data Security Software Market offers a detailed overview of the factors influencing the global business scope Mobile Data Security Software Market ...
- 7 Best Wireless Security Systems for 2021on January 13, 2021 at 10:41 am
Wireless systems often have Artificial Intelligence (AI) learning to make your life easier. No wires mean no holes in the walls, which is perfect for renters. Here are seven top wireless home security ...
- What to Know About Wireless Home Security Systemson January 13, 2021 at 10:17 am
In 2019 there were more than 1.1 million burglaries in the U.S., with almost 63 percent of them occurring at residential properties, according to Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) estimates.
- Wireless LAN Security Market Trends, COVID-19 Pandemic Impact, Business Opportunities and Strategic Assessment till 2023on January 12, 2021 at 2:47 pm
Market Highlights The Wireless Network Security Market benefits from advanced telecommunication combined with the ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- No increase in sharks at beaches despite increased sightings — Surf Life Saving NZon January 17, 2021 at 11:02 am
Surf Life Saving NZ's Allan Mundy says lifeguards haven't noticed an increase in sharks this summer, despite more being reported by the public. Since Kaelah Marlow, 19, died in a shark attack at Waihi ...
- City extends North Shore surf contest application deadline until Feb. 26on January 14, 2021 at 4:00 pm
The permit application deadline for surf contests on Oahu’s North Shore has been extended a month, to Feb. 26, in consideration of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic that triggered the cancellation of ...
- Waihī shark attack victim's family thanks community for their supporton January 13, 2021 at 5:27 pm
The family of a teenager who died in a shark attack have thanked the Waihī Beach community for the “overwhelming support” they have received. Kaelah Marlow, 19, died last Thursday at Bowentown Beach ...
- Victorian Surf Coast beaches remain under observation after reports of shark attack dismissedon January 11, 2021 at 7:37 pm
The seven-year-old boy suffered a bleeding gash at Thirteenth Beach in Barwon Heads yesterday, which resulted in its closure.
- Shark attack Bellarine Peninsula Melbourne: Boy taken to hospital in serious conditionon January 11, 2021 at 2:38 am
A child has been rushed to hospital and the public told to stay out of the water after a suspected shark attack at a popular surf beach in Victoria.