via Washington University in St. Louis
‘Surfing attack’ hacks Siri, Google with ultrasonic waves
Ultrasonic waves don’t make a sound, but they can still activate Siri on your cellphone and have it make calls, take images or read the contents of a text to a stranger. All without the phone owner’s knowledge.
Attacks on cell phones aren’t new, and researchers have previously shown that ultrasonic waves can be used to deliver a single command through the air.
However, new research from Washington University in St. Louis expands the scope of vulnerability that ultrasonic waves pose to cellphone security. These waves, the researchers found, can propagate through many solid surfaces to activate voice recognition systems and — with the addition of some cheap hardware — the person initiating the attack can also hear the phone’s response.
The results were presented Feb. 24 at the Network and Distributed System Security Symposium in San Diego.
“We want to raise awareness of such a threat,” said Ning Zhang, assistant professor of computer science and engineering at the McKelvey School of Engineering. “I want everybody in the public to know this.”
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Notorious Albanian gangster smuggles mobile phone into British prison cell to post birthday wisheson January 23, 2021 at 7:26 pm
Notorious Albanian gangster smuggles mobile phone into British prison cell to post birthday wishes. On Christmas Eve, Pepaj posted a ...
- Elsberry: New Cell Phone Tower Going Upon January 23, 2021 at 5:26 am
New Cell Phone Tower Going Up. Chattooga County Commissioner Blake Elsberry says a new cell phone tower will be built close to ...
- Varun Dhawan-Natasha Dalal wedding: Actor reaches Alibaug for Sangeet, extra security in placeon January 23, 2021 at 5:23 am
Preparations are in full-swing at Alibaug's luxurious resort The Mansion House where Bollywood star Varun Dhawan is set to tie the knot with fashion designer Natasha Dalal.
- Microsoft: Here's how our new password-monitoring system actually workson January 21, 2021 at 8:49 pm
Microsoft reveals its approach to watching your passwords without actually viewing them. But you'll need to sign in for it to work.
- Growing Mobile Payments to push Growth in the Global Mobile Security Marketon January 21, 2021 at 2:15 pm
Mobile Security Market” According to a new market research report launched by Inkwood Research, the Global Mobile Security Market is evolving at a growth rate ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- California snorkeler injured in shark attack in Hawaiion January 22, 2021 at 9:01 pm
A 73-year-old California man suffered minor injuries in a shark attack off the Hawaiian island of Maui on Friday morning, state officials said. The unidentified victim was snorkeling in front of the ...
- California man injured in apparent shark attack off Mauion January 22, 2021 at 5:34 pm
A 73-year-old California man snorkeling off Maui's Ka'anapali Beach on Friday morning was apparently bitten by a shark, according to the Maui Department of Fire and Public Safety.
- Men released by police after questioning over tram conductor attack in Sheffieldon January 21, 2021 at 4:58 am
Four men arrested over an attack on a tram conductor in Sheffield have been released under investigation after police questioning.
- Surf photographer severely injured after facing monster wave on Oahu’s North Shoreon January 20, 2021 at 2:08 pm
The historic surf on Oahu’s north shore attracted some of the world’s best surfers and photographers. Dozens of jet skis were out at Himalayas near Laniakea Beach when the unexpected ...
- Police appeal after 'tram surfer' gang's 'nasty attack' on conductoron January 20, 2021 at 8:09 am
Police are urging witnesses to come forward after a tram conductor was assaulted by a group of men in Sheffield.