Since the Industrial Revolution, the environmental impacts of energy have posed a concern. Recently, this has driven researchers to search for viable options for clean and renewable energy sources.
Due to its affordability and environmental friendliness, hydrogen is a feasible alternative to fossil fuels for energy applications. However, due to its low density, hydrogen is difficult to transport efficiently, and many on-board hydrogen generation methods are slow and energy intensive.
Researchers from the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing and Tsinghua University, Beijing investigate real-time, on-demand hydrogen generation for use in fuel cells, which are a quiet and clean form of energy. They describe their results in the Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, from AIP Publishing.
The researchers used an alloy — a combination of metals — of gallium, indium, tin and bismuth to generate hydrogen. When the alloy meets an aluminum plate immersed in water, hydrogen is produced. This hydrogen is connected to a proton exchange membrane fuel cell, a type of fuel cell where chemical energy is converted into electrical energy.
“Compared with traditional power generation methods, PEMFC inherits a higher conversion efficiency,” said author Jing Liu, a professor at the Chinese Academy of Sciences and Tsinghua University. “It could start rapidly and run quietly. Moreover, a key benefit to this process is that the only product it generates is water, making it environmentally friendly.”
They found the addition of bismuth to the alloy has a large effect on hydrogen generation. Compared to an alloy of gallium, indium and tin, the alloy including bismuth leads to a more stable and durable hydrogen generation reaction. However, it is important to be able to recycle the alloy in order to further reduce cost and environmental impact.
“There are various problems in existing methods for post-reaction mixture separation,” Liu said. “An acid or alkaline solution can dissolve aluminum hydroxide but also causes corrosion and pollution problems.”
Other byproduct removal methods are difficult and inefficient, and the problem of heat dissipation in the hydrogen reaction process also needs to be optimized. Once these difficulties are resolved, this technology can be used for applications from transportation to portable devices.
“The merit of this method is that it could realize real-time and on-demand hydrogen production,” said Liu. “It may offer a possibility for a green and sustainable energy era.”
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
On-demand hydrogen production
- We asked Bill Gates, a Nobel laureate, and others to name the most effective way to combat climate changeon February 25, 2021 at 10:47 am
Despite decades of warnings and increasingly devastating disasters, we’ve still made little progress in slowing climate change. Clean energy alternatives have secured just a fraction of the ...
- Atos and HDF Energy to Develop the First Green Hydrogen Datacenteron February 25, 2021 at 10:13 am
Atos and HDF Energy today announce their plan to develop a complete end-to-end long-term solution to supply datacenters with green ...
- HPQ Receives its First Mini-Generator Set Based on Clean Hydrogen Produced by Simply Combining Water and a Powder Bagon February 25, 2021 at 5:09 am
The portable hydrogen-based power generator, a revolutionary product The TREKHY® provides energy on demand. The system ... better performance for hydrogen production. HPQ Silicon Resources ...
- Atos International: Atos and HDF Energy to develop the first green hydrogen datacenteron February 25, 2021 at 12:06 am
Atos and HDF Energy today announce their plan to develop a complete end-to-end long-term solution to supply datacenters with green hydrogen generated by renewable energy.
- Atos and HDF Energy to develop the first green hydrogen datacenteron February 25, 2021 at 12:03 am
Hypower® (GAS TO POWER): On-demand power generation from green hydrogen from gas transportation ... and will commission the world's first mass production plant for these high-power fuel cells ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
On-demand hydrogen production
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Real-time hydrogen production
- Accelerating carbon capture technologieson February 28, 2021 at 4:35 pm
Joint media release with Minister for Energy and Emissions Reduction Angus Taylor. Carbon capture projects will get a boost through the ...
- Do You Even Know What is Happening in Your Back Office?on February 26, 2021 at 9:51 pm
By Jennifer Lee, Chief Strategy Officer at Intradiem Consumers may not realise this, but many of the most important tasks required to provide a great customer experience (such as processing claims, ...
- Cancer-associated fibroblast-derived SDF-1 induces epithelial-mesenchymal transition of lung adenocarcinoma via CXCR4/β-catenin/PPARδ signallingon February 26, 2021 at 10:02 am
Cancer-associated fibroblasts (CAFs) contribute to tumour epithelial-mesenchymal transition (EMT) via interaction with cancer cells. However, the molecular mechanisms underlying tumour-promoting EMT ...
- Scotgold gets a new CEO, reports labour training delayson February 26, 2021 at 5:52 am
Scottish gold miner Scotgold CEO Richard Gray will retire as CEO of the company at the end of March and will hand over reins to investment company Pala Investments’ head of technical operations Philip ...
- Plug Power Reports To Construct Green Hydrogen Production Facility, Electric Substation In New York Science, Technology, Advanced Manufacturing Parkon February 25, 2021 at 1:45 pm
This headline-only article is meant to show you why a stock is moving, the most difficult aspect of stock trading. Every day we publish hundreds of headlines on any catalyst ...