Remote control stent device
Dr. Vitor Mendes Pereira views images from remote control stent placement for a brain aneurysm.
Credit: Roger Boyle
- A robot was used to treat brain aneurysms for the first time.
- The robotic system could eventually allow remote surgery, enabling surgeons to treat strokes from afar.
Using a robot to treat brain aneurysms is feasible and could allow for improved precision when placing stents, coils and other devices, according to late breaking science presented today at the American Stroke Association’s International Stroke Conference 2020 . The conference, Feb. 19-21 in Los Angeles, is a world premier meeting for researchers and clinicians dedicated to the science of stroke and brain health.
Robotic technology is used in surgery and cardiology, but not for brain vascular procedures. In this study, Canadian researchers report the results of the first robotic brain vascular procedures. They used a robotic system specifically adapted for neurovascular procedures. Software and hardware adaptations enable it to accommodate microcatheters, guidewires and the other devices used for endovascular procedures in the brain. These modifications also provide the operator additional precise fine-motor control compared to previous system models.
“This experience is the first step towards achieving our vision of remote neurovascular procedures,” said lead researcher Vitor Mendes Pereira, M.D., M.Sc., a neurosurgeon and neuroradiologist at the Toronto Western Hospital, and professor of medical imaging and surgery at the University of Toronto in Canada. “The ability to robotically perform intracranial aneurysm treatment is a major step forward in neuro-endovascular intervention.”
In the first case, a 64-year-old female patient presented with an unruptured aneurysm at the base of her skull. The surgical team successfully used the robot to place a stent and then, using the same microcatheter, entered the aneurysm sac and secured the aneurysm by placing various coils. All intracranial steps were performed with the robotic arm. Since this first case, the team has successfully performed five additional aneurysm treatments using the robot, which included deploying various devices such as flow-diverting stents.
“The expectation is that future robotic systems will be able to be controlled remotely. For example, I could be at my hospital and deliver therapy to a patient hundreds or even thousands of kilometers away,” Mendes Pereira said. “The ability to deliver rapid care through remote robotics for time-critical procedures such as stroke could have a huge impact on improving patient outcomes and allow us to deliver cutting-edge care to patients everywhere, regardless of geography.”
“Our experience, and that of future operators of this technology, will help develop the workflows and processes necessary to implement successful robotic programs, which will ultimately help establish remote care networks in the future,” Mendes Pereira said.
The Latest Updates from Bing News & Google News
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Dr. Martin Roche: Changes in orthopedic care delivery and how device companies are rethinking robotic business modelson January 26, 2021 at 8:03 am
Dr. Martin Roche discusses hiw new role at HSS Florida, how orthopedic care delivery is changing, and emerging trends in sensor- and robotic-assisted surgery.
- Robotic Surgery Consumables Market – Industry Analysis, Share, Growth, Trends, Top Key Players and Regional Forecast 2020-2025on January 26, 2021 at 4:09 am
Selbyville, Delaware Market Study Report LLC: An analysis of Robotic Surgery Consumables market has been provided ...
- It’s not your parents’ hip replacement surgeryon January 23, 2021 at 6:10 am
If I’ve learned anything during nearly six decades of reporting on medical science, it’s that the longer you wait, the better the methods of prevention, diagnosis and treatment are likely to become.
- Robotic surgery allows smaller incisions, more precision in surgical procedureson January 22, 2021 at 2:00 pm
Robotic-assisted surgery is laparoscopic surgery using robotic instruments. The robot does not perform the operation. Rather, the surgeon is in full control, using robotic arms that copy the surgeon’s ...
- U.S. Gynecology Robotic Surgery Market Overview And Geographical Forecast Till 2026 | Fortune Business Insightson January 22, 2021 at 10:28 am
Jan (The Expresswire) -- The “U.S. Gynecology Robotic Surgery Market Industry“ is set to gain traction from the increasing shift towards ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Remote care networks
- Business exec and his wife charged after flying into remote Canadian town to get Covid-19 vaccine, officials sayon January 26, 2021 at 6:33 pm
The former president and CEO of the Great Canadian Gaming Corporation and his wife are facing charges -- including failure to self-isolate -- after allegedly chartering a plane to a small town in ...
- Lehigh Valley Health Network launches at-home telehealth program: 4 detailson January 26, 2021 at 2:01 pm
Lehigh Valley Health Network rolled out an at-home care program allowing patients to recover at home by combining nurse visits, virtual physician visits and enhanced remote monitoring, the Allentown, ...
- Telehealth's Security Problem; Virtual Cancer Care; Post-Pandemic Teladocon January 25, 2021 at 9:32 am
Leaders reiterated the importance of telehealth security as a patient safety issue, especially with the "explosion of connected devices in conjunction with the rising value of digital medical records ...
- Don’t feel overwhelmed: follow this expert advice about remote learningon January 22, 2021 at 1:20 am
With considerable numbers of children across the UK now learning remotely, many parents are feeling stressed about the added challenges and pressures of home studying. However, since last March, ...
- Corporate Insight Announces Annual Digital Member Experience Awards in Health Plans, Highlighting the Rise of Virtual Careon January 21, 2021 at 5:57 am
Corporate Insight, the leading provider of competitive intelligence and customer experience research to the healthcare industry, today announced the release of its 2020 Monitor Awards in the health ...