Some silicone masks are now so realistic they can easily be mistaken for real faces, new research suggests.
Hyper-realistic masks are made from flexible materials such as silicone and are designed to imitate real human faces – down to every last freckle, wrinkle and strand of real human hair.
In a study by the Universities of York and Kyoto, researchers asked participants to look at pairs of photographs and decide which showed a normal face and which showed a person wearing a mask.
Surprisingly, participants made the wrong call in one-in-five cases.
The 20% error rate observed in the study likely underestimates the extent to which people would struggle to tell an artificial face from the real thing outside of the lab, the researchers say
The researchers collected data from participants from both the UK and Japan to establish any differences according to race. When asked to choose between photographs depicting faces of a different race to the trial participant, response times were slower and selections were 5% less accurate.
Dr Rob Jenkins from the Department of Psychology at the University of York, said: “In our study participants had several advantages over ordinary people in everyday life. We made it clear to participants that their task was to identify the mask in each pair of images and we showed them example masks before the test began.
“The real-world error rate is likely to be much higher because many people may not even be aware hyper-realistic masks exist and are unlikely to be looking out for them.
“The current generation of masks is very realistic indeed with most people struggling to tell an artificial face from the real thing.”
There are now dozens of criminal cases in which culprits have passed themselves off as people of a different age, race or gender, sending police investigations down the wrong path.
In one recent case, an international gang used a hyper-realistic mask to impersonate a French minister, defrauding business executives out of millions of pounds.
Dr Jet Sanders, who worked on the study while a PhD student at the University of York, said: “Failure to detect synthetic faces may have important implications for security and crime prevention as hyper-realistic masks may allow the key characteristics of a persons’ appearance to be incorrectly identified.
“These masks currently cost around £1000 each and we expect them to become more widely used as advances in manufacturing make them more affordable.”
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Chemist develops synthetic materials for energy-saving applicationson October 12, 2021 at 2:44 pm
A chemist at The University of Texas at Arlington is working to create new synthetic materials that can improve on inorganic metal oxides for use in a variety of energy-saving applications.
- Dear Senators Crapo And Grassley: Synthetic Tax Data Protect Taxpayer Privacyon October 12, 2021 at 1:51 pm
Senators Mike Crapo (R-ID) and Chuck Grassley (R-IA) recently asked for an investigation into the Internal Revenue Service’s research activities, including its use of contractors to conduct studies ...
- Synthetic Chemical Leads To Premature Deaths Of More Than One Lakh People in USon October 12, 2021 at 6:56 am
New research on a synthetic chemical called phthalates has revealed that it leads to premature deaths of more than one lakh people in the United States.
- Facebook quietly acquires synthetic data startup AI.Reverieon October 12, 2021 at 5:46 am
Facebook has quietly acquire AI.Reverie, a startup that developed a platform and tools for synthetic data generation.
- Synthetic Media: How deepfakes could soon change our worldon October 11, 2021 at 2:34 am
That’s because the creators of deepfakes have the power to make people say or do anything, at least on our screens. Most Americans have no idea how far the technology has come in just the last four ...
- Oswego County man faces 20 years in prison, $1 million fine for role in drug operation, feds sayon October 9, 2021 at 5:30 pm
The Fulton man conspired to unlawfully distribute and possess with the intent to distribute eutylone, federal prosecutors said.
- Face biometrics roll out at airports on three continents amid ethics, oversight debateson October 9, 2021 at 10:25 am
Airport deployments of face biometrics were the focus of two of the most widely-read stories on Biometric Update over the past week.
- Microsoft demonstrates facial analysis in the wild using just synthetic dataon October 4, 2021 at 12:56 pm
Microsoft has published a research paper demonstrating that it is possible to train facial analysis algorithms just using synthetic data.
- Micro Synthetic Fibre Market Report 2021 Size with Segments Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Top Countries Data and Growth Opportunities to 2027on October 3, 2021 at 10:50 pm
Global “Micro Synthetic Fibre Market” Size, Status and Growth Forecast to 2027: The Micro Synthetic Fibre Market report ...
- Best Synthetic Urine Kits: Top 5 Fake Pee Brands to Pass a Drug Teston September 29, 2021 at 11:00 am
These kits are 100% foolproof and reasonably easy to use. To introduce you to this relatively unexplored world of synthetic urine kits, we have come up with the top five that can make your life ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- How to Make a Killer Haunted House in Your Garageon October 11, 2021 at 2:00 am
A haunted house is dark. Most of the illumination probably comes from strobe lights and black lights. Focus less on realism and more on quick scares. Don’t drop hundreds of dollars on decorations when ...
- The Best Pop Culture Halloween Costumes for 2021on October 6, 2021 at 6:01 pm
To transform yourself into pure evil, you’ll want to add the gold lion mask worn by the game’s ... with these Olympic socks for an ultra-realistic look. DC’s Harley Quinn is a Halloween ...
- Sarah Connell Sanders: For Halloween Outlet heir, holiday horror was just the beginningon October 1, 2021 at 2:00 am
The heir to Halloween Outlet is not done striking fear into the heart of the Commonwealth. “You were a kids’ entrance person?” Mark Arvanigian asked me. “Yup,” I admitted. “Me too,” he said, although ...
- Artificial Christmas trees will sell out fast this holiday—here are 13 you can buy right nowon September 29, 2021 at 8:21 am
Reviewers have given this tree a 4.7-star rating for its hyper-realistic looking branches that ... Halloween costumes kids can wear with masks Keep your Halloween makeup fresh all night long ...