Scientists from The Australian National University (ANU) have invented a new jelly material that mimics biological matter such as skin, ligaments and bone, and which is very strong, self-healing and able to change shape.
The team say the hydrogel could enable a new class of medical implants or artificial muscles for next-generation robots that could one day swim.
Hydrogels are gels with a high-water content and used in a range of products, including contact lenses.
Lead senior researcher Associate Professor Luke Connal from the ANU Research School of Chemistry said the new hydrogel’s dynamic chemical bonds gave it features unlike any other materials previously reported.
“With the special chemistry we’ve engineered in the hydrogel, it can repair itself after it has been broken like human skin can,” he said.
“Hydrogels are usually weak, but our material is so strong it could easily lift very heavy objects and can change its shape like human muscles do. This makes our hydrogel suitable for artificial muscles in what we call soft robotics.
“Our hydrogel’s ability to self-heal, as well as its flexibility and strength, make it an ideal material for wearable technology and various other biomedical devices.”
Dr Zhen Jiang, a co-researcher and Postdoctoral Fellow, said a form of temperature control could change the shape of the hydrogel, allowing it to perform as an artificial muscle.
“In a lot of science fiction movies, we see the most challenging jobs being done by artificial humanoid robots. Our research has made a significant step towards making this possible,” he said.
Dr Jiang had the inspiration for the new hydrogel from one of his PhD projects.
“We anticipate that researchers working on the next-generation of soft robots will be interested and excited about our new way of making hydrogels,” he said.
The team can make the hydrogel with simple and scalable chemistry. They will develop a 3D printable ink based on the hydrogel.
The team’s study is published in Advanced Materials.
Learn more: Jelly invention can heal itself like human skin
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Candles a favorite this winter for light, color, scent and moodon February 27, 2021 at 6:05 am
If a candle is burning in a dark room, we don’t see the darkness, we see the light. Perhaps that’s why candles have become such a popular decor element over the course of the pandemic.
- Once a Person’s Voice is Captured, They are Expendable”: Director George C. Wolfe on the Musical Histories of Ma Rainey’s Black Bottomon February 23, 2021 at 11:47 am
The presence of Jelly Roll Morton, or, in this play ... by — George: — It’s intrinsic to the material. In the South, she’s in charge; in Chicago, she’s not in charge. She says, “They want to take my ...
- Citroen C5 Aircross India review: Almost magic carpet-like, definitely a great driveon February 22, 2021 at 8:41 pm
I will admit to not being up to date with Citroen’s legendary history till the time I visited its museum in Paris back in early 2020, when such things were possible. I’d heard stories about the French ...
- Novel vectors reduce the risks associated with ocular gene therapieson February 22, 2021 at 4:12 pm
Strategies based on the use of gene therapy to mitigate the effects of mutations that cause blindness are undergoing rapid development.
- Petroleum Jelly Market Outlook Highlights Major Opportunities by 2030on February 21, 2021 at 11:55 pm
A recent market study published by FMI on the Petroleum Jelly market includes the global industry analysis of 2015-2019 & opportunity assessment for 2020-2030, and delivers a comprehensive assessment ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Hydrogel Dressing Market Size 2021 Industry Share, Demand, Top Players, Industry Size, Future Growth by 2026on February 28, 2021 at 11:10 pm
In 2021 ,Hydrogel Dressing Market “ Hydrocolloidal dressings are made by mixing elastic polyhydrogels with synthetic ...
- Axonics acquires Contura and its incontinence hydrogel injection for $200Mon February 26, 2021 at 9:03 am
Neurostimulation developer Axonics Modulation Technologies has acquired Contura, makers of a hydrogel-based injection to help treat stress urinary incontinence, for a combination of cash and stock ...
- Global Silicone Hydrogel Contact Lenses Market Report 2020 by Key Players, Types, Applications, Countries, Market Size, Forecast to 2026on February 26, 2021 at 4:31 am
The Silicone Hydrogel Contact Lenses market is expected to grow from USD X.X million in 2020 to USD X.X million by 2026, at a CAGR of X.X% during the forecast period. The global Silicone Hydrogel ...
- Axonics® Expands into Stress Urinary Incontinence with the Acquisition of Bulkamid®on February 25, 2021 at 1:04 pm
Axonics Modulation Technologies, Inc. (Nasdaq: AXNX), a medical technology company that has developed and is commercializing novel implantable sacral neuromodulation (SNM) devices for the treatment of ...
- Repair of full-thickness articular cartilage defects using IEIK13 self-assembling peptide hydrogel in a non-human primate modelon February 25, 2021 at 3:54 am
We further investigated the feasibility of using SAP IEIK13 cartilage gels to repair articular cartilage defects, in comparison with fibrin-based cartilage gels. Full-thickness articular defects were ...