The demonstration of two silicon quantum bits communicating across relatively long distances is a turning point for the technology.
A team at Princeton University has demonstrated that two Quantum Computing components, known as silicon “spin” qubits, can interact even when spaced relatively far apart on a computer chip.
“The ability to transmit messages across this distance on a silicon chip unlocks new capabilities for our quantum hardware,” said Jason Petta.”This should help to improve the communication of qubits on chips as well as from one chip to another”.
There is huge potential for quantum computers to tackle challenges well beyond the capabilities of our current computers. In order to realize this great potential, these computers will require tens of thousands of qubits that can communicate with each other. The difficulty is that current quantum computers contain tens of qubits made from superconducting circuits. Silicon spin qubits have several advantages over this current approach in that they retain their Quantum State longer than competing technologies and can be manufactured at a low cost.
“This is the first demonstration of entangling electron spins in silicon separated by distances much larger than the devices housing those spins,” said Thaddeus Ladd .
The demonstration is an important milestone and utilizes materials heavily used in the semiconductor industry already.
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- UCLA Engineering Faculty Receives NSF Grant to Improve Quantum Computing Chipson February 26, 2021 at 7:56 am
Kang Wang, a UCLA electrical and computer engineering professor and his colleagues received a one-year, $920,000 grant from the National ...
- Qubit breakthrough is a big step towards networked quantum computers say researcherson February 26, 2021 at 7:47 am
A research team used a cable to entangle qubits located in different quantum nodes. This could go a long way in creating a powerful cluster of quantum devices.
- The hunt for the quantum collapseon February 26, 2021 at 5:43 am
The most famous cat in science is Schrödinger's cat, the quantum mechanical mammal, which can exist in a superposition, a state that is alive as well as dead. The moment you look at it, one of both ...
- Scalable distributed gate-model quantum computerson February 26, 2021 at 5:12 am
A scalable model for a distributed quantum computation is a challenging problem due to the complexity of the problem space provided by the diversity of possible quantum systems, from small-scale ...
- Inside the race to keep secrets safe from the quantum computing revolutionon February 25, 2021 at 7:46 am
The algorithms that have kept state secrets safe and confidential messages private since the 1970s are about to be broken. Security experts disagree on how long it will take - some say within five ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Silicon spin qubits
- Quantum Computing Hardware Teardownon February 24, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Silicon, in its natural state ... applied in order to ensure that the electron is in a particular spin state. This is how the qubit is set. From there, the transistor can be used to read the ...
- Infineon Participates in Multiple Initiatives on Quantum Technologyon February 24, 2021 at 3:19 am
Infineon Technologies is currently participating as an industrial partner in a number of national and European funded projects. In the technological race for better quantum computing technology is ...
- Quantum Computer Race Heats Upon February 19, 2021 at 4:00 pm
The A-gate controls the interaction between a nuclear spin qubit and the electron spin ... “We first have to place registration markers into the silicon crystals. Then, we put down a layer of hydrogen ...
- EU Stakeholders Launch Program to Ramp Up Quantum Processor Productionon February 11, 2021 at 4:00 pm
The grant-funded QLSI Project will assess the efficacy of silicon-spin qubits as a manufacturing platform. Why this technology, and what advantages does it have? To further progress into the quantum ...
- Europe launches quantum processing on silicon programmeon February 4, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Called Quantum Large-Scale Integration with Silicon (QLSI), and valued at €15m, it will focus on spin qubits and silicon lithography as the route to maintaining large numbers of quantum bits for ...