Discovering the next generation of batteries with some help from AI
Designing the best molecular building blocks for battery components is like trying to create a recipe for a new kind of cake, when you have billions of potential ingredients. The challenge involves determining which ingredients work best together — or, more simply, produce an edible (or, in the case of batteries, a safe) product. But even with state-of-the-art supercomputers, scientists cannot precisely model the chemical characteristics of every molecule that could prove to be the basis of a next-generation battery material.
Instead, researchers at the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Argonne National Laboratory have turned to the power of machine learning and artificial intelligence to dramatically accelerate the process of battery discovery.
As described in two new papers, Argonne researchers first created a highly accurate database of roughly 133,000 small organic molecules that could form the basis of battery electrolytes. To do so, they used a computationally intensive model called G4MP2. This collection of molecules, however, represented only a small subset of 166 billion larger molecules that scientists wanted to probe for electrolyte candidates.
“If we are going to use a molecule for energy storage applications, we need to know properties like its stability, and we can use this machine learning to predict properties of bigger molecules more accurately.” — Argonne chemist Rajeev Assary
Because using G4MP2 to resolve each of the 166 billion molecules would have required an impossible amount of computing time and power, the research team used a machine learning algorithm to relate the precisely known structures from the smaller data set to much more coarsely modeled structures from the larger data set.
“When it comes to determining how these molecules work, there are big tradeoffs between accuracy and the time it takes to compute a result,” said Ian Foster, Argonne Data Science and Learning division director and author of one of the papers. ?“We believe that machine learning represents a way to get a molecular picture that is nearly as precise at a fraction of the computational cost.”
To provide a basis for the machine learning model, Foster and his colleagues used a less computationally taxing modeling framework based on density functional theory, a quantum mechanical modeling framework used to calculate electronic structure in large systems. Density functional theory provides a good approximation of molecular properties, but is less accurate than G4MP2.
Refining the algorithm to better ascertain information about the broader class of organic molecules involved comparing the atomic positions of the molecules computed with the highly accurate G4MP2 versus those analyzed using only density functional theory. By using G4MP2 as a gold standard, the researchers could train the density functional theory model to incorporate a correction factor, improving its accuracy while keeping computational costs down.
“The machine learning algorithm gives us a way to look at the relationship between the atoms in a large molecule and their neighbors, to see how they bond and interact, and look for similarities between those molecules and others we know quite well,” said Argonne computational scientist Logan Ward, an author of one of the studies. ?“This will help us to make predictions about the energies of these larger molecules or the differences between the low- and high-accuracy calculations.”
“This whole project is designed to give us the biggest picture possible of battery electrolyte candidates,” added Argonne chemist Rajeev Assary, an author of both studies. ?“If we are going to use a molecule for energy storage applications, we need to know properties like its stability, and we can use this machine learning to predict properties of bigger molecules more accurately.”
Learn more: Building a better battery with machine learning
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Next generation battery
The Latest Bing News on:
Next generation battery
- Australia’s biggest renewables owner plans huge wind and storage projectson August 2, 2021 at 5:00 pm
However, a proposed “behind-the-meter” battery next to the Snowtown wind farm in South Australia is on the back burner because the market rules make it too complex and difficult to be competitive.
- Hacklet 123 – Watcheson July 30, 2021 at 5:00 pm
[Max] estimates this watch will last about 6 months on a single battery. Next we have [Joshua Snyder] and Neopixel pocket watch. Who said a watch has to go on your wrist? [Joshua] brings some ...
- Queensland’s first big battery gets registration, to begin charging soonon July 27, 2021 at 4:59 pm
and a 200MW big battery next to its Loy Yang A coal generator in Victoria, also with up to four hours storage. AGL is also planning a Big battery at the Liddell site, although the size appears ...
- ZTE Axon 30 5G in-display camera sample promises better selfieson July 23, 2021 at 6:39 am
Since it featured the first-generation under-display camera technology ... are expected to arrive with an in-display camera in the next few weeks. While ZTE launched the Axon 20 5G that came ...
- Soundcore’s R Series headphones and TWS to launch next monthon July 22, 2021 at 4:08 am
Soundcore R Series products in India will be launched next month. The company will add ... making them completely in sync with the millennial and Gen Z today, says the company.
- The Hackleton July 14, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Next we have [RF William Hollender] and Teensy Super Audio Board. Not satisfied with CD quality 44.1 kHz audio, [William] decided to add a high quality audio codec to Teensy’s bag of tricks.
- Norco Launches 3 New eMTBs - Batteries Sold Separatelyon July 14, 2021 at 9:06 am
The new battery system has a greater energy density than the prior generation, which means higher energy amounts are possible at a lighter weight. The batteries are available in 540, 720 ...
- ZTE Blade V30 specifications and pricing info leakedon July 13, 2021 at 12:29 pm
As you may expect, the Axon 30 will pack the company’s second-generation in-display camera ... The handset will draw its powers from a 5,000mAh battery with 18 W fast-charging support.
- Best Bluetooth speakers: Reviews and buying adviceon October 4, 2018 at 12:20 pm
The Naim Audio Mu-so 2nd Generation is a pricey all-in-home ... on both the audio source and the speaker in order to work. Battery: Next to fidelity, a portable speaker’s most important feature ...
- Team Structure of ALCA-SPRINGon March 30, 2018 at 4:56 am
The Sulfide subteam has been accelerating the process toward practical application through collaboration with the Consortium for Lithium Ion Battery Technology and Evaluation Center (LIBTEC).
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- EV Battery Tech Announces the Launch of Two IoniX Pro Electric Vehicleson August 5, 2021 at 2:14 am
Extreme Vehicle Battery Technologies Corp. (the "Company" or "EV Battery Tech") is pleased to announce the launch of its IoniX Pro Trilogy Vision Electric Vehicle (EV) line which is being developed in ...
- Water vs. watts: Why the battery race must include a strategic commitment to H2O stewardshipon August 4, 2021 at 7:19 pm
Without worldwide enforcement of sustainable mining practices, demand for critical battery metals for EVs threatens to disrupt water security ...
- Second explosives call in as many days leads to discovery of 'potentially dangerous' homemade battery packon August 4, 2021 at 10:15 am
Mounties in the Okanagan were called in for two separate reports of possible explosives in a two-day period. The first was during the examination of a shooting scene. While investigating an incident ...
- Suspected bomb was actually 'someone’s attempt at a homemade battery pack:' West Kelowna RCMPon August 4, 2021 at 6:35 am
West Kelowna Mounties have disposed of a device they thought might be a bomb. It turned out to be “someone’s attempt at a homemade batt.
- Kansas researchers developing battery alternatives with nature’s ‘wonder material’on August 1, 2021 at 9:33 pm
A graphene supercapacitor could reach full charge in only minutes compared to the hours it takes for the lithium-ion batteries currently found in smart phones, power tools, and other portable ...
- Startup invents breakthrough non-toxic battery electrolyte that’s cheaper ‘by factor of 100’on July 28, 2021 at 6:24 am
In April, he launched startup Allegro Energy with two of his former students, Fraser Hughson and Rohan Borah. The startup seeks to commercialize its microemulsion battery electrolyte which, although ...
- Battery Dance Festival To Feature 40 In-Person Performances In Celebration Of 40th Anniversaryon July 26, 2021 at 6:47 pm
Battery Dance celebrates the 40th Anniversary of its free summer festival from August 12-20, 2021, in partnership with Battery Park City Authority. The 40th Annual Battery Dance Festival features 16 ...
- Meryllion Resources Corp. Options Western Australian Base and Battery Metal Exploration Propertyon July 26, 2021 at 6:57 am
Meryllion Resources Corporation (CSE: MYR.X) ("MYR "or the "Corporation") wishes to announce that it has signed an option to acquire a 100% interest in the Oldham Range base and battery metal ...
- Battery Mineral Resources Commences Drilling Program at Recently Acquired Punitaqui Copper Gold Mine in Chileon July 26, 2021 at 6:04 am
July 26, 2021) - Battery Mineral Resources Corp. (TSXV: BMR) (" Battery " or " BMR " or the " Company ") is pleased to announce it has commenced the first phase of exploration and resource infill ...
- Canada Silver Cobalt Receives Drill Permit for its EV Battery Metals Graal Property in Northern Lac St-Jean, Quebecon July 22, 2021 at 3:07 pm
Coquitlam, BC TheNewswire – July 22, 2021 – Canada Silver Cobalt Works Inc. ( TSXV:CCW) (OTC:CCWOF) (Frankfurt:4T9B) (the “Company” or “Canada Silver Cobalt”) is pleased to provide an update on its ...