Research from the University of Illinois and the University of California, Davis has chemists one step closer to recreating nature’s most efficient machinery for generating hydrogen gas.
This new development may help clear the path for the hydrogen fuel industry to move into a larger role in the global push toward more environmentally friendly energy sources.
The researchers report their findings in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science.
Currently, hydrogen gas is produced using a very complex industrial process that limits its attractiveness to the green fuel market, the researchers said. In response, scientists are looking toward biologically synthesized hydrogen, which is far more efficient than the current human-made process, said chemistry professor and study co-author Thomas Rauchfuss.
Biological enzymes, called hydrogenases, are nature’s machinery for making and burning hydrogen gas. These enzymes come in two varieties, iron-iron and nickel-iron – named for the elements responsible for driving the chemical reactions. The new study focuses on the iron-iron variety because it does the job faster, the researchers said.
The team came into the study with a general understanding of the chemical composition of the active sites within the enzyme. They hypothesized that the sites were assembled using 10 parts: four carbon monoxide molecules, two cyanide ions, two iron ions and two groups of a sulfur-containing amino acid called cysteine.
The team discovered that it was instead more likely that the enzyme’s engine was composed of two identical groups containing five chemicals: two carbon monoxide molecules, one cyanide ion, one iron ion and one cysteine group. The groups form one tightly bonded unit, and the two units combine to give the engine a total of 10 parts.
But the laboratory analysis of the lab-synthesized enzyme revealed a final surprise, Rauchfuss said. “Our recipe is incomplete. We now know that 11 bits are required to make the active site engine, not 10, and we are in the hunt for that one final bit.”
Team members say they are not sure what type of applications this new understanding of the iron-iron hydrogenase enzyme will lead to, but the research could provide an assembly kit that will be instructive to other catalyst design projects.
“The take-away from this study is that it is one thing to envision using the real enzyme to produce hydrogen gas, but it is far more powerful to understand its makeup well enough to able to reproduce it for use in the lab,” Rauchfuss said.
Researchers from the Oregon Health and Science University also contributed to this study.
Learn more: New study looks to biological enzymes as source of hydrogen fuel
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”hydrogen fuel” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- Hydrogen Fuel Cell Market Top Players and Forecast till 2031on March 21, 2023 at 8:35 pm
The "Hydrogen Fuel Cell Market" study describes how the technology industry is evolving and how major and emerging ...
- Officials say hydrogen fuel vehicles are coming soon to New Yorkon March 20, 2023 at 6:07 pm
The future of new clean energy is right here in the capital region. That’s according to officials at Plug Power. Plug Power’s new facility can soon supply the ...
- Hannover Messe: World’s Leading Platform for Hydrogen and Fuel Cellson March 20, 2023 at 8:49 am
Some 300 exhibitors will be showcasing their solutions at the Hydrogen + Fuel Cells EUROPE special display at HANNOVER MESSE, including well-known companies such as Bosch, Iberdrola, Schaeffler, ...
- Ports of LA, Long Beach join state bid to be federal hydrogen fuel hubon March 17, 2023 at 4:58 pm
California is applying for a federal grant and to be one of four national hubs tasked with testing out hydrogen fuel technologies.
- Environmental group raises caution flag on hydrogen’s impact as fuelon March 17, 2023 at 2:45 pm
But the environmental movement checked in here as well, represented by the Environmental Defense Fund. The EDF has generally been considered one of the more moderate environmental organizations, often ...
- Toyota Hydrogen Racecar Pulled When One Thing You Don’t Want to Happen Did Using This Fuelon March 15, 2023 at 4:10 pm
Toyota has pulled its hydrogen-powered Corolla race car after a fire, which is the last thing you want when using hydrogen. The post Toyota Hydrogen Racecar Pulled When One Thing You Don’t Want to ...
- Hydrogen fuel cell maker Hyzon eyes small-scale projects to advanceon March 15, 2023 at 8:00 am
Hyzon has some clouds on the near horizon, but at CERAWeek, its CEO detailed the growth the company hopes to achieve.
- Hydrogen-powered flight aims to make flying "greener"on March 14, 2023 at 3:33 pm
The future of flight took off with climate change on its radar – no jet fuel needed to take to the skies, just hydrogen.
- This New US Brand Will Focus on EV and Hydrogen Techon March 14, 2023 at 9:12 am
Accelera by Cummins will focus on building EV batteries, traction systems, electrolyzers, e-axles, and hydrogen fuel cells.
- Global Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles (HFCV) Market Share Envisaged to Reach USD 62.88 Billion by 2032, at 45.2% CAGR: Polaris Market Researchon March 13, 2023 at 6:02 am
Pages Research Study] According to Polaris Market Research, the global hydrogen fuel cell vehicle (HFCV) market Size & share was valued at USD 1.51 Billion in 2022 and is predicted to increase at a ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”hydrogen production” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- Opinion: How realistic is a hydrogen-powered economy?on March 21, 2023 at 11:21 pm
The fuel is getting backing from an array of influential stakeholders, including fossil fuel firms which hope to avoid future stranded oil and gas assets by switching to the production, distribution ...
- Doubled commercial pipeline: 9.8 GW at end-2022 - FY 2022 results: accelerating investments to build a European leader in green hydrogen productionon March 21, 2023 at 11:10 pm
Nantes (France) – 22 March 2023 – 07:00 – During its meeting held on 21 March 2023, the Board of Directors of Lhyfe (Euronext Paris – FR0014009YQ1 – LHYFE), one of the world's pioneers in the ...
- Hydrogen Storage Systems Market Size and Forecast till 2031on March 21, 2023 at 10:14 pm
What Are Projections of Global Hydrogen Storage Systems Industry Considering Capacity, Production and Production Value? What Will Be the Estimation of Cost and Profit? What Will Be Market Share, ...
- Europe Green Hydrogen Market Report 2022: Rising Demand for Renewable Energy Bolsters 40% Annual Growth - Research and Marketson March 21, 2023 at 2:15 pm
The "Europe Green Hydrogen Market Size, Segments, Outlook and Revenue Forecast 2022-2030 by Technology, Application, Generation and Delivery Mode and Major Countries" report ...
- Green hydrogen needs defining, Connecticut stakeholders sayon March 21, 2023 at 7:40 am
A bill calls for a strategic plan for encouraging hydrogen produced with renewable energy, and to prioritize its use in hard-to-electrify sectors.
- Toyota isn't giving up on hydrogen technology in spite of new EV focuson March 20, 2023 at 6:46 am
Toyota will roll out several EVs over the coming years, but it's not forgetting about hydrogen; it wants to make sure the technology remains "viable." ...
- Green hydrogen production pilot for North Seaon March 20, 2023 at 4:40 am
Centrica is teaming up with Lhyfe to deliver what’s claimed to be the UK’s first offshore green hydrogen production site.
- Oil PSUs to set up over 30 KTPA of annual green hydrogen production capacityon March 20, 2023 at 3:33 am
The new green hydrogen production facilities are spread over six states — Haryana, Madhya Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu ...
- Lhyfe signs agreement with Centrica to explore hydrogen production in UKon March 20, 2023 at 3:13 am
The French company has previously said that it is exploring options to open a hydrogen production facility in the North East ...
- Photovoltaic Hydrogen Production Market [2023-2029] is Growing in Forthcoming Yearson March 20, 2023 at 12:16 am
Photovoltaic Hydrogen Production MarketResearch Report give Analysis of Industry Development Growth Opportunities, ...