The University of Surrey and King’s College London have developed a new machine learning algorithm (AI) that could transform the way we monitor major infrastructure – such as dams and bridges.
In a paper published by the journal Structural Health Monitoring, researchers from Surrey and Kings detail how they created an AI system named SHMnet to analyse and assess the damage of bolt connections used in metallic structures.
Built on the foundations of a modified Alex-Net neural network, the research team set up an impact hammer test under lab conditions and tasked SHMnet with accurately identifying the subtle condition changes of connection bolts on a steel frame under 10 damage scenarios.
The team found that when SHMnet is trained using four repeated datasets, it had a flawless (100 per cent) identification record in their tests.
Dr Ying Wang, the corresponding author of the paper and Assistant Professor at the University of Surrey, said:
“The performance of our neural network suggests that SHMnet could be incredibly useful to structural engineers, governments and other organisations tasked with monitoring the integrity of bridges, towers, dams and other metal structures.
“While there is more to do, such as testing SHMnet under different vibration conditions and obtaining more training data, the real test is for this system to be used in the field where a reliable, accurate and affordable way of monitoring infrastructure is sorely needed.”
The Latest on: Monitoring major infrastructure
- Network Slicing Market Major Trends, Outlook by 2026on January 11, 2021 at 10:58 pm
Global Market Insights, Inc., predicts that the network slicing market may surpass USD 600 million by the year ...
- Serverless Computing: Coding with a Worry-Free Infrastructure Environmenton January 11, 2021 at 7:03 am
Serverless computing provides backend services on an on-demand basis. Users can focus on writing and deploying code without needing to worry about the infrastructure environment where the code runs.
- SolarWinds Taps Ex-Cyber Chief Krebs In Wake Of Major Hackon January 8, 2021 at 8:00 pm
SolarWinds Corp., the software provider at the center of the sprawling cyber espionage campaign that has breached several government agencies and the federal court system, has retained a new cyber ...
- Cloud Monitoring Tools Market May See a Big Move | Major Giants AWS, LogicMonitor, IBMon January 7, 2021 at 1:57 am
Latest released the research study on Global Cloud Monitoring Tools Market offers a detailed overview of the factors influencing the global business scope Cloud Monitoring Tools Market research report ...
- Cloud Monitoring Market Size, Share, CAGR, Revenue, Company Analysis and Forecast 2020-2023on January 6, 2021 at 12:43 am
As per the Eurostat, the total value of the ICT sector in Europe, including the ICT manufacturing and ICT services, was estimated to be more than EUR 475 billion in 2017. In this sector, the ICT ...
- Deeper Network Wins Web3 Foundation Grant to Build Critical Web 3.0 Infrastructure for the Polkadot Ecosystemon January 5, 2021 at 11:30 pm
Deeper Network, an official member of the Substrate Builders Program, has received a Web3 Foundation grant to build critical infrastructure related to Substrate of the Polkadot ecosystem.
- Synthetic Monitoring Market 2020 Global Trends, Growth Insights, Emerging Technologies, Key Players, Challenges and Forecast to 2023on January 5, 2021 at 12:37 am
The Synthetic Monitoring Market is garnering substantial traction worldwide. Market growth attributes to the introduction of analytics and cloud technology. Besides, the upsurge in need for proactive ...
- Cloud Services From Major Providers Including Amazon and Microsoft Vulnerable To the Widespread SolarWinds Hackon January 4, 2021 at 8:00 am
SolarWinds hack may impact cloud services from major providers such as Microsoft and Amazon, especially since the Orion software stores API keys and other security credentials.
- IoT adds smarts to IT asset monitoringon January 4, 2021 at 3:03 am
Organizations are using IoT sensors to monitor equipment performance and environmental conditions in data centers.
- Relief as Tropical Storm Chalane recedes, no major damage recordedon December 31, 2020 at 7:08 pm
Tropical Depression Chalane, which entered Zimbabwe on Wednesday, further weakened and finally dissipated with its remnants moving into Botswana, leaving minimal damage and no loss of life or injuries ...
via Bing News
The Latest on: Monitoring civil infrastructure
- RPMC-X inspects Bukidnon Airport Development Projecton December 28, 2020 at 6:27 am
the Regional Project Monitoring Committee (RPMC) region 10 visited the Bukidnon Airport Development Project in Barangay Maraymaray, Don Carlos, Bukidnon. The 149-hectare new airport is one of the ...
- IIT Kanpur Launches New One-year Diploma in Geodesy, No GATE Score Needed for Working Professionalson December 25, 2020 at 11:34 am
The diploma programme aims at filingl the critical gap in human resources as the country embarks on building major infrastructure ... natural calamities as well as manmade calamities: monitoring ...
- Abacha loot: Nigeria approves CSO to monitor $312m spendingon December 24, 2020 at 9:43 am
The U.S. had disclosed that Nigeria promised to engage a CSO who has “expertise in substantial infrastructure projects, civil engineering ... to provide additional monitoring and oversight.” ...
- IIT-K starts course in Geodesy - Measuring the Earthon December 22, 2020 at 7:32 am
The D-IIT programme will be offered by the department of civil engineering in three broad ... The science of Geodesy has applications in monitoring earthquake, volcanic, landslide and weather ...
- Odisha govt sets timeline for completion of projects under OMBADCon December 21, 2020 at 9:07 pm
He asked the departments to undertake micro-level monitoring and management ... During the meeting, a target was set to complete infrastructure building civil work projects by the first quarter ...
- Corresponding Adjustments for Voluntary Markets – Seriously?on December 21, 2020 at 6:29 am
a link between monitoring and accounting, robust transaction GHG registries, and an agreement between voluntary carbon market standards and national GHG registries. Most developing countries lack the ...
- USGS Supports the 2020 National Space Policyon December 18, 2020 at 7:51 am
The 2020 National Space Policy, recently released by The White House, provides guidance for America’s civil, commercial and national security ... space and Earth weather monitoring, environmental ...
- CEO ERA sets deadline for ongoing projects in Jammuon December 18, 2020 at 6:27 am
The completion of this road will augment the road infrastructure to the tourist ... andcompleting the project in the next 7 months. Major civil works of road consist of improvement of ...
- China and Indonesia: Joint Cyber War Simulationson December 17, 2020 at 4:01 pm
The intent of this program does not appear to be oriented to joint military cooperation but rather focuses on government responses to the inevitable impacts of cyber war on civil infrastructure.
- RCMP collected licence plate numbers of people at United Church meeting, says watchdogon December 15, 2020 at 8:52 am
1:00 Lawyer finds covert RCMP monitoring of Church group ‘shocking ... B.C. The complaint was originally filed in 2014 by the BC Civil Liberties Association (BCCLA), and the watchdog submitted ...
via Bing News