A group of researchers at Osaka University developed a novel two-dimensional (2D) graphical tactile display to which one-dimensional (1D) adhesive information could be added by controlling adhesion of designated portions of the display surface. (Fig.1)
Their research results were presented at SIGGRAPH ASIA 2019 Emerging Technologies, which was held in Australia from November 18 through November 20, 2019. The research team received the BEST DEMO VOTED BY COMMITTEE AWARD.
With conventional techniques, it was impossible to perform dynamic and interactive control by changing the shape or friction coefficient of an area on the surface of an electronic device, such as a paper-like screen, in order to enhance its operability. Thus, researchers have made efforts to present further information by using visual presentation that can also deliver other sensory (tactile) content.
In the entertainment industry, such as in video games, displays that give players a sense of temperature or shock have been proposed so that they can feel as if they were actually in the scene of a game. In particular, many haptic displays and element technologies that give players tactile feedback have been devised.
This group of researchers developed a display in which the sense of touch, i.e. a 1D “sticky” sensation, can be added to a 2D vision display. On their display is mounted a temperature sensitive adhesive sheet, a special polymer sheet whose adhesion (friction) can be changed by controlling the temperature of the display surface with a computer.
In order to present changes in adhesion in a range that does not bring a sense of discomfort to a user, the researchers used an adhesive sheet with a boundary temperature of 40°C. The sheet rapidly becomes sticky through heating to a temperature above 40°C, showing the largest adhesion of 2.6 [N/25mm] in the temperature range of 30°C ~ 48°C.
With this display, users can take in both visual and tactile information, something difficult to achieve through ordinary 2D displays. For example, one can feel a folder and learn its capacity by touching it while navigating the folder hierarchy, which can be preset to vary adhesion by folder capacity. It is also possible to impede the operability of a device to prevent users from carelessly swiping through content so that they can focus on sections containing important information, which are set to increased adhesion levels.
In addition, it is also possible to apply this technology to touchscreens for people with visual impairments and allow users who are looking at an image of a sticky object on the screen to feel the displayed object’s stickiness as if they were actually touching the object in the image.
Associate Professor Itoh says, “This graphical tactile system allows users to get ‘touch and feel’ information that would be difficult to perceive on a visual display. We will consider applications to entertainment and digital signage to pursue its commercial viability.”
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”tactile display” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- What You Can’t Miss in This Year’s Art Summiton February 8, 2023 at 12:49 am
The sixth Dhaka Art Summit (DAS) is under way at the National Art Gallery of Bangladesh Shilpakala Academy presented by the Samdani Art Foundation with the theme of ‘Bonna’.
- OnePlus unveils OnePlus Pad with 144Hz display and mechanical keyboardon February 7, 2023 at 10:42 pm
The OnePlus Pad will come powered by MediaTek Dimensity 9000 SoC with up to 12GB RAM and 256GB internal storage ...
- See 2024 Ford Mustang's Base Model Interior With Separate Display Screenson February 7, 2023 at 3:27 pm
It's our first real-world look at the entry-level seventh-gen Mustang from the inside. It's true that we've already seen the interior of the seventh-generation Ford Mustang. However, all of Ford's ...
- OnePlus 11 to Launch in the US on February 16, OnePlus Tablet Also Announcedon February 7, 2023 at 9:57 am
OnePlus announced today the pricing details and international release date for its new OnePlus 11 flagship phone, and it also introduced its first tablet, the OnePlus Pad.
- ASUS A3402 all-in-one PC Review: The ideal lifestyle accessoryon February 7, 2023 at 3:14 am
The ASUS A3402 is the latest addition to the company’s A3 series of all-in-one PCs. It is an interesting computer marketed as a lifestyle accessory, or a centerpiece for your workspace which also ...
- Medion flagship Erazer laptops feature Cherry MX Ultra low profile tactile switcheson February 6, 2023 at 4:37 am
Medion has this week announced that its flagship laptops will feature Cherry MX ultra low profile tactile switches. The laptops powered by powerful Intel ...
- ambient displayon February 5, 2023 at 4:00 pm
For those times when you’d rather not get sucked down another internet rabbit hole when you really just wanted the weather, an ambient display can be great. [AlexanderK106] built a simple ...
- Estos guantes táctiles de 9 dólares son un éxito entre los compradores de Amazonon January 31, 2023 at 8:34 am
Todo aquel que quiera pasar tiempo al aire libre este invierno necesitará un buen par de guantes o mitones. Sin embargo, el clima frío puede dificultar la conexión, por lo que no es extraño que en los ...
- Cómo personalizar los controles táctiles en Pixel Buds Proon January 30, 2023 at 10:30 am
No estamos obligados a quedarnos con los valores predeterminados. Google sorprendió para bien, al retomar los controles táctiles que tanto extrañamos en los Pixel Buds A-Series. Estos controles ...
- Controles Táctiles Capacitivos Mercado Para mostrar un crecimiento sin precedentes durante 2023-2033on January 25, 2023 at 5:23 pm
El informe global “Controles Táctiles Capacitivos Market” 2023-2033 ofrece sentidos completos sobre +fabricantes clave con participación de mercado, +proyección, +factores de crecimiento dinámicos ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Graphical tactile system
[google_news title=”” keyword=”graphical tactile system” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
Graphical tactile system
- Dead Space Remake Upcoming Patch Will Fix Graphical Issueson February 5, 2023 at 12:58 am
An official response from the developers on Reddit claimed that the team is working on a toggle to disable VRS on PC as well as its graphical issue on the PS5. Though the studio is yet to specify ...
- Tactile Systems Technology, Inc. (TCMD)on January 31, 2023 at 4:00 pm
MINNEAPOLIS, Feb. 01, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Tactile Systems Technology, Inc. (“Tactile Medical”) (Nasdaq:TCMD), a medical technology company providing therapies for people with chronic ...
- helloSystem 0.8: A friendly, all-graphical FreeBSDon January 31, 2023 at 11:45 am
After almost a year, version 0.8 of the helloSystem is here: an easy-to-use graphical distribution based on FreeBSD ... On the helloSystem GitHub page, the description reads: Desktop system for ...
- With 81% ownership, Tactile Systems Technology, Inc. (NASDAQ:TCMD) boasts of strong institutional backingon January 25, 2023 at 12:39 pm
To get a sense of who is truly in control of Tactile Systems Technology, Inc. (NASDAQ:TCMD), it is important to understand the ownership structure of the business. We can see that institutions own ...
- Graphical abstract of the research method (IMAGE)on January 23, 2023 at 5:01 am
Graphical abstract of the research method. Image: Maaike Goudriaan, NIOZ. Only to be used for communication about this research news by Maaike Goudriaan, NIOZ.
- The Sound Orb Is the Tactile Speaker System You Didn't Know You Wantedon January 19, 2023 at 4:00 pm
The Sound Orb is built from two IKEA salad bowls, sanded down and glued together. Inside is a tactile transducer, a device that pumps out tactile bass — the sort that gives the simulated ...
- La oferta del Magic Mouse de MediaMarkt lo deja a uno de sus precios más bajos: batería de larga duración y gestos táctileson January 16, 2023 at 2:28 am
Con un precio de venta al público recomendado de 85 euros en la tienda oficial Apple Store y proveedores autorizados, en MediaMarkt, a través de eBay, se puede adquirir el ratón inalámbrico Bluetooth ...
- Apple trabaja en añadir pantallas táctiles OLED a su línea de MacBookon January 12, 2023 at 10:55 am
Recientemente supimos que Apple estaba trabajando en sus propias pantallas MicroLED para sus relojes y teléfonos. Pues bien, parece que los iPhone y Aple Watch no serán los únicos en presumir ...
- Brain and Nervous Systemon January 10, 2023 at 3:09 pm
Think of the brain as a central computer that controls all the body's functions. The rest of the nervous system is like a network that relays messages back and forth from the brain to different parts ...
- International Nuclear Information System (INIS)on December 19, 2022 at 2:39 am
The International Nuclear Information System (INIS) hosts one of the world's largest collections of published information on the peaceful uses of nuclear science and technology. INIS is a unique and ...