A small, inexpensive sensor could save lives by triggering an alarm when children or pets are left alone in vehicles.
The new device, developed by researchers at the University of Waterloo, combines radar technology with artificial intelligence (AI) to detect unattended children or animals with 100-per-cent accuracy.
Small enough to fit in the palm of a hand at just three centimetres in diameter, the device is designed to be attached to a vehicle’s rear-view mirror or mounted on the ceiling.
It sends out radar signals that are reflected back by people, animals and objects in the vehicle. Built-in AI then analyzes the reflected signals.
“It addresses a serious, world-wide problem,” said George Shaker, an engineering professor at Waterloo. his system is so affordable it could become standard equipment in all vehicles.”
Development of the wireless, disc-shaped sensor was funded in part by a major automotive parts manufacturer that is aiming to bring it to market by the end of 2020.
Analysis by the device determines the number of occupants and their locations in a vehicle. That information could be used to set rates for ride-sharing services and toll roads, or to qualify vehicles for car-pool lanes.
Its primary purpose, however, is to detect when a child or pet has been accidentally or deliberately left behind, a scenario that can result in serious harm or death in extremely hot or cold weather.
In such cases, the system would prevent vehicle doors from locking and sound an alarm to alert the driver, passengers and other people in the area that there is a problem.
“Unlike cameras, this device preserves privacy and it doesn’t have any blind spots because radar can penetrate seats, for instance, to determine if there is an infant in a rear-facing car seat,” said Shaker, a cross-appointed professor of electrical and computer engineering, and mechanical and mechatronics engineering.
The low-power device, which runs on a vehicle’s battery, distinguishes between living beings and inanimate objects by detecting subtle breathing movements.
Researchers are now exploring the use of that capability to monitor the vital signs of drivers for indications of fatigue, distraction, impairment, illness or other issues.
The Latest on: Wireless sensor
via Google News
The Latest on: Wireless sensor
- Vivo’s upcoming foldable smartphone to feature ultrasonic fingerprint sensoron August 8, 2022 at 8:07 pm
Earlier this year, in the month of April, Vivo officially launched its first foldable smartphone in the market, dubbed Vivo X Fold. Now, the company is gearing up to launch its next-generation ...
- Wireless IoT Sensors Market 2022-2028 - Global Size, Share, Emerging Trends, Demand, Revenue and Forecasts Researchon August 8, 2022 at 2:10 am
Global Wireless IoT Sensors Market [2022-2028] research report provides key analysis on the market status of Wireless ...
- Wireless Network Sensor Market Trend From 2022 To 2028 And Unlimited Opportunities for New Companieson August 8, 2022 at 12:15 am
In the forecast period of 2022-2028, the Global “ Wireless Network Sensor Market ” is expected to grow at a steady rate, according to the Wireless Network Sensor Market report, which summarizes the ...
- Best Wireless Mouse 2022 – Logitech, Razer & Moreon August 6, 2022 at 7:17 am
In this article about the best wireless mouse of 2022, we mention the best mice from Logitech, Razer, and even Microsoft, so you’ll have at least one option which suits your budget and your need. Note ...
- Oil and Gas Wireless Sensor Networks Market | Latest Trends and Growth Factors Analysis 2022 to 2030on August 5, 2022 at 6:47 am
Oil And Gas Wireless Sensor Networks Market by Vendor Assessment, Technology Assessment, Partner & Customer Ecosystem, type/solution, service, organization size, end-use verticals, and Region ...
- Temperature Sensor Market Opportunity Analysis and Forecast 2028on August 3, 2022 at 10:35 pm
"Temperature Sensor Market"The temperature sensor market is projected to grow from USD 5.9 billion in 2021 to USD 8.0 billion by 2028, at a CAGR of 4.5% from 2021 to 2028The growth of the temperature ...
- Wireless Sensor Network Market Development, Trends, Huge Demand, Growth Analysis And Forecasts 2022-2031on August 1, 2022 at 10:29 am
SDKI recently added a report on the Wireless Sensor Network Market in its repository of scheduled syndicated market reports. The report offers an in-depth analysis on the basis of size, volume, latest ...
- Wireless Sensor Tags Market Key Players, End User, Demand and Consumption by 2031on August 1, 2022 at 7:27 am
Wireless sensor tags are used to monitor and record motion events, open or close events, door or window temperature, humidity, soil moisture and water leaks. It connect events in physical world ...
- Wireless Sensor Technology Can Simplify Automotive ADAS Deploymenton July 28, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Powermat’s system can retrieve data from those sensors while providing them power. “When we talk about inductive charging, we have in-band communication,” said Kantor. “Today, we have up to 100 ...
- Pulsefire Haste Wireless and Pulsefire Mat review: A match made in heavenon July 28, 2022 at 10:48 am
The HyperX Pulsefire Haste gets a wireless version, giving the already incredibly lightweight mouse an ultra-twitchy feel, especially when paired with the Pulsefire Mat mousepad.
via Bing News