A small, inexpensive sensor could save lives by triggering an alarm when children or pets are left alone in vehicles.
The new device, developed by researchers at the University of Waterloo, combines radar technology with artificial intelligence (AI) to detect unattended children or animals with 100-per-cent accuracy.
Small enough to fit in the palm of a hand at just three centimetres in diameter, the device is designed to be attached to a vehicle’s rear-view mirror or mounted on the ceiling.
It sends out radar signals that are reflected back by people, animals and objects in the vehicle. Built-in AI then analyzes the reflected signals.
“It addresses a serious, world-wide problem,” said George Shaker, an engineering professor at Waterloo. his system is so affordable it could become standard equipment in all vehicles.”
Development of the wireless, disc-shaped sensor was funded in part by a major automotive parts manufacturer that is aiming to bring it to market by the end of 2020.
Analysis by the device determines the number of occupants and their locations in a vehicle. That information could be used to set rates for ride-sharing services and toll roads, or to qualify vehicles for car-pool lanes.
Its primary purpose, however, is to detect when a child or pet has been accidentally or deliberately left behind, a scenario that can result in serious harm or death in extremely hot or cold weather.
In such cases, the system would prevent vehicle doors from locking and sound an alarm to alert the driver, passengers and other people in the area that there is a problem.
“Unlike cameras, this device preserves privacy and it doesn’t have any blind spots because radar can penetrate seats, for instance, to determine if there is an infant in a rear-facing car seat,” said Shaker, a cross-appointed professor of electrical and computer engineering, and mechanical and mechatronics engineering.
The low-power device, which runs on a vehicle’s battery, distinguishes between living beings and inanimate objects by detecting subtle breathing movements.
Researchers are now exploring the use of that capability to monitor the vital signs of drivers for indications of fatigue, distraction, impairment, illness or other issues.
The Latest on: Wireless sensor
via Google News
The Latest on: Wireless sensor
- Machine learning & wireless: Incoming professor at Duke targets emerging technologieson December 6, 2021 at 1:10 pm
With decades of experience designing and testing new technologies and algorithms to improve wireless applications such as radar and communications, Christ Richmond will join longtime colleagues at Duk ...
- Wireless Brain Sensor Market Size to Reach USD 804.3on December 6, 2021 at 8:17 am
The global wireless brain sensor market size reached USD 391.7 Million in 2020 and is expected to register a significantly steady revenue CAGR during the forecast period, according to latest analysis ...
- The Internet of Things (IoT) Sensor Marketon December 6, 2021 at 7:54 am
Alongside the burgeoning Internet of Things (IoT) software market, the IoT sensor market is experiencing rapid growth. Organizations and individuals are using IoT sensors to gather, send, and analyze ...
- Global Wireless Sensor Tags Market 2021 (COVID-19 UPDATE) Future Challenges, Growth Statistics and Forecast to 2027on December 5, 2021 at 4:29 pm
This is the latest report titled Global Wireless Sensor Tags Market 2021 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 recently updated by MarketandResearch.biz which contains ...
- Marubun and Ossia Combine Forces to Develop Wireless Power Sensor Receiver for Broad Applicationson December 2, 2021 at 6:06 am
"To bring it to fruition more rapidly, we saw an opportunity to leverage Cota wireless power technology for a sensor that can be integrated within many types of IoT devices. Developing for one ...
- Wireless Sensor Network Market 2021-2028on December 1, 2021 at 11:34 pm
New study report " Wireless Sensor Network Market Overview- The global wireless sensor network market size is predicted to reach USD 148.67 billion by 2026, exhibiting a CAGR of 18.3% during the ...
- Wireless Sensor Market 2021 with Growth Opportunities, Top Countries Data, Future Trends and Business Size and Share with Revenue Forecast to 2025on December 1, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Dec 02, 2021 (The Expresswire) -- Global “Wireless Sensor Market” Report delivers an all-inclusive analysis that offers exhaustive research with insightful data. This report evaluates various ...
- Wireless Sensors Market (2021): Extensive Study On Key Vendors, Growth Aspects & Vital Analysis On Regionson November 24, 2021 at 8:10 pm
Extensive Research Study on Key Vendors, Growth Aspects, and Vital analysis on regions \| Texas Instruments, Schneider Electric. Global Wireless Sen ...
- An efficient networking solution for extending and controlling wireless sensor networks using low-energy technologieson November 24, 2021 at 7:33 am
Wireless sensor networks connect a set of highly flexible wireless devices with small weight and size. They are used to monitor and control the environment by organizing the acquired data at a central ...
- Wireless sensor grows into bone to monitor health data in real-timeon November 22, 2021 at 8:27 pm
Researchers at the University of Arizona have developed an ultra-thin device that permanently bonds onto bones, and beams data out wirelessly. The breakthrough could allow doctors to monitor the ...
via Bing News