Plant scientists at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (CSHL) and USDA’s Agricultural Research Service (ARS), in their search for solutions to global food production challenges, have doubled the amount of grains that a sorghum plant can yield.
Sorghum, one of the world’s most important sources of food, animal feed, and biofuel, is considered a model crop for research because it has a high tolerance to drought, heat, and high-salt conditions. Increasing the grain yield has become even more important to plant breeders, farmers, and researchers as they try to address and overcome food security issues related to climate change, growing populations, and land and water shortages.
Led by Doreen Ware, CSHL Adjunct Professor and research scientist at the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and USDA colleague Zhanguo Xin, Ph.D, the research team identified novel genetic variations that occurred in sorghum’s MSD2 gene, increasing the grain yield 200 percent. MSD2 is part of a gene line that boosts flower fertility by lowering the amount of jasmonic acid, a hormone that controls the development of seeds and flowers.
“When this hormone is decreased, you have a release of development that does not normally occur,” said Nicholas Gladman, a postdoctoral fellow in Ware’s lab and first author on the study, recently published in The International Journal of Molecular Sciences. “That allows for the full formation of the female sex organs in these flowers, which then allows for increased fertility”
MSD2 is regulated by MSD1, a gene discovered by Ware’s team last year. Manipulating either gene increases seed and flower production.
“Major cereal crops are very close to each other evolutionarily. A lot of the genes that they share have similar functions,” said Yinping Jiao, a postdoctoral associate in the Ware Lab and an author on the study. “This gene that plays an important role controlling the sorghum yield may also help us improve the yield of other crops like maize or rice.”
Ware’s lab uses this type of genetic research to understand how plants have changed over time.
“These genetic analyses actually give us the molecular mechanisms that provide more opportunities to engineer crops in the future,” she said.
The Latest on: Genetic analyses
via Google News
The Latest on: Genetic analyses
- Datar Cancer Genetics joins hands with U.S. based Iylon Precision Oncology to offer personalized Precision Oncology cancer treatment solutionson July 4, 2021 at 3:30 pm
Datar Cancer Genetics has announced its partnership with U.S. based Iylon Precision Oncology to offer Iylon's innovative personalized Precision Oncology cancer ...
- Exome study identifies new genetic influences on weighton July 2, 2021 at 6:39 am
An exome sequencing study of more than 600,000 individuals of European and mixed American ancestry has identified more than a dozen genes, including five brain-expressed G protein-coupled receptors, ...
- Genetic Virus Vector Market will Witness Huge Growth till 2027 & Covid-19 Analysison July 2, 2021 at 1:58 am
From 2021 to 2027, this Genetic Virus Vector market report offers an assessment of large-scale manufacturing in the international market. Factors that may influence future growth are relevant because ...
- Researchers raise concerns about using genetic risk scores to pick ‘healthier’ embryoson July 1, 2021 at 11:27 am
The report underscores the concern that applying genetic research to develop risk scores and select embryos for IVF might be imperfect.
- Insights on the Genetic Testing Global Market to 2026 - Key Motivators, Restraints and Opportunities - ResearchAndMarkets.comon July 1, 2021 at 4:16 am
The "Genetic Testing Market 2020-2026" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The global genetic testing market is growing at a significant CAGR during the forecast period. The ...
- Genetic Counseling Market Size, Share, Trends, Analysis and Forecast 2027on June 29, 2021 at 5:49 am
The Global Genetic Counseling Market is estimated to value over USD 3.17 billion by 2027 end at a CAGR of over ...
- Global Genetic Counselling Market Growth, Analysis and Advancement Outlook 2021-2026on June 29, 2021 at 4:04 am
According to the research report titled 'Global Genetic Counselling Market Analysis, 2021', available with Market Study Report LLC, global genetic counselling market is set to expand at a y-o-y growth ...
- New analysis links distinct patterns of genetic mutations with OCDon June 28, 2021 at 9:36 am
In the first analysis of its kind, researchers at Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons and several other institutions have linked distinct patterns of genetic mutations with ...
- Boost for mouse genetic analysison June 22, 2021 at 8:07 am
To understand what role an individual gene plays, biologists have, for 100 years, been using a trick of nature: While in principle, the genome in all cells of an organism is the same, mutations arise ...
via Bing News