A new proof-of-concept study details how an automated system driven by artificial intelligence can design, build, test and learn complex biochemical pathways to efficiently produce lycopene, a red pigment found in tomatoes and commonly used as a food coloring, opening the door to a wide range of biosynthetic applications, researchers report.
The results of the study, which combined a fully automated robotic platform called the Illinois Biological Foundry for Advanced Biomanufacturing with AI to achieve biomanufacturing, are published in the journal Nature Communications.
“Biofoundries are factories that mimic the foundries that build semiconductors, but are designed for biological systems instead of electrical systems,” said Huimin Zhao, a University of Illinois chemical and biomolecular engineering professor who led the research.
However, because biology offers many pathways to chemical production, the researchers assert that a system driven by AI and capable of choosing from thousands of experimental iterations is required for true automation.
Previous biofoundry efforts have produced a wide variety of products such as chemicals, fuels, and engineered cells and proteins, the researchers said, but those studies were not performed in a fully automated manner.
“Past studies in biofoundry development mainly focused on only one of the design, build, test and learn elements,” Zhao said. “A researcher was still required to perform data analysis and to plan for the next experiment. Our system, dubbed BioAutomata, closes the design, build, test and learn loop and leaves humans out of the process.”
BioAutomata completed two rounds of fully automated construction and optimization of the lycopene-production pathway, which includes the design and construction of the lycopene pathways, transfer of the DNA-encoding pathways into host cells, growth of the cells, and extraction and measurement of the lycopene production.
“BioAutomata was able to reduce the number of possible lycopene-production pathways constructed from over 10,000 down to about 100 and create an optimized quantity of lycopene-overproducing cells within weeks – greatly reducing time and cost,” Zhao said.
Zhao envisions fully automated biofoundries being a future revolution in smart manufacturing, not unlike what automation did for the automobile industry.
“A hundred years ago, people built cars by hand,” he said. “Now, that process is much more economical and efficient thanks to automation, and we imagine the same for biomanufacturing of chemicals and materials.”
The Latest on: Biomanufacturing
- Waltham Chemical Tech Company Expands With 51K SF Biomanufacturing Dealon March 3, 2021 at 4:00 pm
A Waltham company is building a 51K SF biomanufacturing facility near its headquarters in the latest move for the property type that's in demand this year.
- Bioprocess Optimisation and Digital Biomanufacturing Marketon March 2, 2021 at 4:44 am
The latest market analysis report on the Bioprocess Optimisation and Digital Biomanufacturing market performs industry diagnostic as a way to accumulate valuable data into the business environment ...
- How is Bioprocessing 4.0 Revolutionizing Biomanufacturing?on March 1, 2021 at 5:00 pm
The digital transformation of biopharmaceutical process development is known as bioprocessing 4.0. It is the future of biomanufacturing.
- Cell Therapy Biomanufacturing Market Global Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Growth, Opportunities and Market Forecast 2020 to 2027on March 1, 2021 at 10:41 am
Mar 01, 2021 (Market Insight Reports) -- The report for Cell Therapy Biomanufacturing offers an assiduous analysis of contemporary market trends, driving factors, consumer behavior, key player ...
- Pharmaron Acquires State-of-the-Art Biomanufacturing Site in the United Kingdom from AbbVieon February 28, 2021 at 4:03 pm
The ABL site consists of a state-of-the-art, flexible cGMP biomanufacturing facility located in Liverpool, United Kingdom with over 150 staff. Leveraging the industry-leading expertise in the process ...
- Gates Biomanufacturing Reaches Milestoneon February 26, 2021 at 2:01 pm
Officials at the Aurora, CO-based Gates Biomanufacturing Facility (GBF) say they have completed the manufacturing and release of a protein-based biologic under GMP for Phase I Investigational ...
- Next-Generation Biomanufacturing Market Segmentation, Industry Analysis by Production, Consumption, Revenue and Growth Rate by 2027on February 24, 2021 at 12:57 pm
Increase in the number of biopharmaceutical companies across the nations is the key reason driving the growth of next-generation biomanufacturing in global market.
- Flexibility is Key to Advances in Biomanufacturingon February 24, 2021 at 10:00 am
Bioprocessing success requires scientists at the bench and GMP level who have the relevant experience and know-how to expertly utilize a wide range of operational tools.
- Worldwide Industry for Cell Therapy Biomanufacturing to 2025 - Key Market Trends and Challengeson February 23, 2021 at 1:21 pm
DUBLIN, Feb. 23, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- The "Cell Therapy Biomanufacturing: Global Markets" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. This research report presents an in-depth ...
- Worldwide Industry for Cell Therapy Biomanufacturing to 2025 - Key Market Trends and Challengeson February 23, 2021 at 1:13 pm
Disclaimer | Commerce Policy | Made In NYC | Stock quotes by finanzen.net DUBLIN, Feb. 23, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- The "Cell Therapy Biomanufacturing: Global Markets" report has been added to ...
via Bing News
The Latest on: Biofoundries
- Rapid new automated genomics screening stamps out crop diseaseon March 4, 2021 at 10:06 am
Researchers at the Earlham Institute (EI) have created a new automated workflow using liquid handling robots to identify the genetic basis to prevent plant pathogens, which can be used on a much ...
- Berkeley Lights, Inc. (BLI) Q4 2020 Earnings Call Transcripton February 25, 2021 at 9:01 pm
Q4 2020 Earnings CallFeb 25, 2021, 4:30 p.m. ETContents: Prepared Remarks Questions and Answers Call Participants Prepared Remarks: OperatorLadies and gentlemen, thank you for standing by, and ...
- Berkeley Lights, Inc. (BLI) CEO Eric Hobbs on Q4 2020 Results - Earnings Call Transcripton February 25, 2021 at 8:30 am
These labs are essentially mini BioFoundries and will enable us to demonstrate our technology to future customers, accelerate customer training and engage in these new market opportunities globally.
- KNOWLEDGE SHARINGon June 13, 2019 at 2:30 pm
The Genome Foundry works with leading biofoundries around the world committed to sharing knowledge and expertise, with a view to establishing a global alliance for greater cooperation. We host regular ...
via Bing News