A global team of computer scientists, from Tsinghua and Beihang Universities in China, Harvard University in the US and IDC Herzliya in Israel, have developed “Write-A-Video”, a new tool that generates videos from themed text.
In a world of novice photographers and videographers, capturing a deluge of content via their smartphones and handheld devices, there is a need for an intelligent, easy-to-use tool for automating the creation of movies and video montages. To date, many quality videos still rely on professional frame-based editing tools to manipulate raw footage and produce a coherent video with a captivating storyline.
A global team of computer scientists, from Tsinghua and Beihang Universities in China, Harvard University in the US and IDC Herzliya in Israel, have developed “Write-A-Video”, a new tool that generates videos from themed text. Using words and text editing, the tool automatically determines which scenes or shots are chosen from a repository to illustrate the desired storyline. The tool enables novice users to produce quality video montages in a simple and user-friendly manner that doesn’t require professional video production and editing skills.
The team is set to present their work at ACM SIGGRAPH Asia, held Nov. 17 to 20 in Brisbane, Australia. SIGGRAPH Asia, now in its 12th year, attracts the most respected technical and creative people from around the world in computer graphics, animation, interactivity, gaming, and emerging technologies.
While existing video editing tools still demand knowledge in video processing and editing, the researchers’ new method allows novices to create videos that tell stories more naturally. Write-A-Video, say the researchers, allows users to create a video montage by simply editing the text that accompanies the video. For example, adding or deleting text, and moving sentences around convert to video-editing operations, such as finding corresponding shots, cutting and rearranging shots, and creating a final video montage result.
“Write-A-Video uses current advances in automatic video understanding and a unique user interface to allow more natural and simpler video creation,” says Professor Ariel Shamir, Dean of the Efi Arazi School of Computer Science at IDC Herzliya. “With our tool, the user provides input mostly in the form of editing of text. The tool automatically searches for semantically matching candidate shots from a video repository, and then uses an optimization method to assemble the video montage by cutting and reordering the shots automatically.”
“Write-A-Video also allows users to explore visual styles for each scene using cinematographic idioms generating, for example, faster or slower paced movies, less or more content movements, etc.” explains Dr. Miao Wang from Beihang University.
When selecting candidate shots from the video repository, the method also considers the aesthetic appeal of the shots, choosing those that are ideally lit, that are well focused and are not blurry or unstable. “At any point, the user can render the movie and preview the video montage result with an accompanying voice-over narration.” says Professor Shi-Min Hu from Tsinghua University.
The team’s research shows that intelligent digital tools combining the abilities of humans and algorithms together can assist users in the creative process. “Our work demonstrates the potential of automatic visual-semantic matching in idiom-based computational editing, offering an intelligent way to make video creation more accessible to non-professionals,” says Shamir.
For the study, the approach was tested on various pieces of themed text and video repositories, with quantitative evaluation and user studies. Users without any video editing experience could produce satisfactory videos using the Write-A-Video tool, sometimes even faster than professionals utilizing frame-based editing software. At SIGGRAPH Asia, the team will demonstrate the Write-A-Video application and showcase a variety of examples of text-to-video productions.
The Latest on: Write-A-Video
- Lilyisthatyou Debuts Provocative ‘F.M.R.N.’ Videoon August 23, 2021 at 12:33 pm
After experiencing a viral moment earlier this summer before it was officially released, "F.M.R.N." has earned millions of streams ...
- Video: Substitute teacher freaks out after Black student criticizes her for writing ‘all lives matter’ on whiteboardon August 23, 2021 at 11:41 am
The substitute teacher also took the opportunity to spew dangerously ahistorical nonsense about slavery toward the fed-up Black student.
- Why Is Blog Writing Still So Important In 2021?on August 23, 2021 at 11:00 am
So, why do you need to include blogging in your content strategy for 2021? We list down the reasons for doing so. More marketers are using video to reach out to their target audience, but the strategy ...
- George Floyd’s aunt to write a memoir about her nephewon August 21, 2021 at 6:20 pm
George Floyd’s family is making sure the world knows he is more than the viral video that made him and The post George Floyd’s aunt to write a memoir about her nephew appeared first on TheGrio.
- Virginia country artist’s TikTok video leads to a deal with Mountain Dewon August 20, 2021 at 2:21 pm
Jean shorts and suspenders-clad Spencer Hatcher and his brother, Connor, posted a video in February on Spencer’s TikTok account of themselves covering the classic bluegrass song “Good Ol’ Mountain Dew ...
- Billy Ray Cyrus Reveals Who Inspired Him to Write the Song â€˜I Want My Mullet Backâ€™on August 19, 2021 at 4:59 pm
After seeing this star sporting a mullet, Billy Ray Cyrus was inspired to write the tune "I Want My Mullet Back." ...
- Boy dads write tear-jerking song for wives about ‘Mama’s boy’ sons: ‘Y’all made every mother smile with this one’on August 19, 2021 at 12:14 pm
Two dads’ emotional song about their “Mama’s boys” is going viral — and now, boy moms everywhere are hugging their sons a little tighter! And just like this dad’s sweet reaction to discovering his ...
- Rhianna Pratchett on the Art of Writing Video Game Characterson August 19, 2021 at 6:00 am
The writer (and yes, daughter of Terry Pratchett) has brought heroes like Lara Croft to life. Her latest, an enchanting hybrid called 'Lost Words,' is out now.
- Haunting footage shows ‘killer mum’ carrying body of son, 7, in bag after forcing him to write ‘I’m a horrible boy’on August 18, 2021 at 9:13 am
HAUNTING footage shows the moment a killer mum carries her young son’s body in a holdall after forcing him to write “I’m a horrible boy”. Mum Yasmin Vaz dos Santos ...
- A delivery driver who went viral for saying he left a note for a customer who didn't tip said it was a stunt in a new videoon August 17, 2021 at 8:36 pm
According to the New York Post, the TikToker said he is a "troll" and that the video where he left a note for a customer asking for a tip was fake.
via Bing News
The Latest on: Videos from themed text
- The Taliban Want You to Keep Your Phone Onon August 22, 2021 at 10:00 pm
They employed social media to cultivate an image of strength within Afghanistan while projecting an air of legitimacy to the outside world.
- Inside The Mind of Tim Schaferon August 22, 2021 at 10:07 am
Tim Schafer likes Star Wars. But as far as he’s concerned, Lucasfilm’s video games were the company’s greatest creative output. In the early ’80s, George Lucas’ burgeoning computer division explored a ...
- Realme GT Master Edition Review: A Master Who Could Have Been Trained Betteron August 21, 2021 at 5:53 am
The Realme GT Master Edition is powered by the Snapdragon 778G chipset and is paired with a vibrant AMOLED display. Here's our Realme GT Master Edition review.
- Lizzo enjoys night out with pals in LA after 'fat-shaming and racist' reaction to new video Rumorson August 21, 2021 at 12:59 am
Levy For Dailymail.com Lizzo appeared in great spirits as she enjoyed a night out with pals in Los Angeles on Friday, after breaking down in tears over hateful comments from trolls. The singer looked ...
- Most Underrated Movie-Themed Online Slotson August 20, 2021 at 2:31 pm
When a promising movie title reaches the big screens, it usually attracts a huge crowd of cinephiles. Once a particular movie gets the approval from the audience, it becomes a classic, and you start ...
- Tails of Iron pits rats against frogs in brutal RPG-themed warfare spinon August 18, 2021 at 8:14 pm
The realm of video games has ostensibly been about good versus evil, and the need for a hero. Triumphing over the odds and giving players the hero journey provides a good foundation to work off ...
- Martin Freeman turns up to Sherlock-themed escape room and loseson August 18, 2021 at 4:14 pm
Freeman recently visited a Sherlock-themed escape room – but his knowledge from the BBC series didn’t help him out too much as he lost. The actor, who played Dr John Watson in the hit BBC series, was ...
- Singapore’s virtual influencer makes singing debut with Benjamin Kheng (Video)on August 16, 2021 at 8:34 pm
Who says computers can’t sing? This article, Singapore’s virtual influencer makes singing debut with Benjamin Kheng (Video), originally appeared on Coconuts, Asia's leading alternative media company.
- What brands can learn from LGBTQ+ storytelling in gamingon August 12, 2021 at 6:00 pm
Marianna Nash, editor, Think with Google LGBTQ+ representation in culture and media has grown significantly over the last several years. Companies that once lacked LGBTQ+ visibility in their creative ...
- Save A Lot kicks off music video-themed brand campaignon July 30, 2021 at 11:28 am
As part of an ongoing brand refresh, Save A Lot has launched a music video-driven marketing campaign highlighting the value that shoppers find in its discount grocery stores. Called “Like, ...
via Bing News