Rapid manufacturing on-demand could put warehouses, molds into the past
Northwestern University researchers have developed a new, futuristic 3D printer that is so big and so fast it can print an object the size of an adult human in just a couple of hours.
Called HARP (high-area rapid printing), the new technology enables a record-breaking throughput that can manufacture products on demand. Over the last 30 years, most efforts in 3D printing have been aimed at pushing the limits of legacy technologies. Often, the pursuit of larger parts has come at the cost of speed, throughput and resolution. With HARP technology, this compromise is unnecessary, enabling it to compete with both the resolution and throughput of traditional manufacturing techniques.
The prototype HARP technology is 13-feet tall with a 2.5 square-foot print bed and can print about half a yard in an hour — a record throughput for the 3D printing field. This means it can print single, large parts or many different small parts at once.
“3D printing is conceptually powerful but has been limited practically,” said Northwestern’s Chad A. Mirkin, who led the product’s development. “If we could print fast without limitations on materials and size, we could revolutionize manufacturing. HARP is poised to do that.”
Mirkin predicts that HARP will be available commercially in the next 18 months.
The Latest on: Rapid manufacturing on-demand
via Google News
The Latest on: Rapid manufacturing on-demand
- This CARES Act Project Gives 3D Printers To Michigan Manufacturers To Make Medical Devices—And A Whole Lot Moreon April 29, 2021 at 4:26 am
An innovative initiative puts networked 3D printers into the hands of 300 producers to boost their own businesses, while serving as an emergency device supply chain for crisis situations.
- Smart Manufacturing Platform Market worth $13.2 billion by 2026on April 28, 2021 at 11:14 pm
The report Smart Manufacturing Platform Market with COVID 19 Impact by type Device Management Connectivity Management Application Enablement Platform Application Performance Optimization Asset ...
- Data Center Server Market Growth by Emerging Trends Analysis and Forecasts 2021-2027 | IBM Corporation, Dell Technologies Inc., Fujitsu Ltdon April 28, 2021 at 6:13 pm
The global data center server market share is slated to proliferate at an appreciable pace in the foreseeable future on account of the robust adoption of advanced data center server architecture and ...
- Global Pharma, Biotech and Diagnostics Manufacturing and Supply Partnering Terms and Agreements Directory 2014-2021on April 28, 2021 at 8:52 am
The Global Manufacturing and Supply Partnering ... relying on a third party to manufacture and supply product on demand, enabling rapid response to market demands. It also ensures that the ...
- Global Pharma, Biotech and Diagnostics Manufacturing and Supply Partnering Terms and Agreements Directory 2014-2021on April 28, 2021 at 8:45 am
The "Global Manufacturing and Supply Partnering Terms and Agreements in Pharma, Biotech and Diagnostics 2014-2021" report has been added ...
- DNA Script to Team up With Moderna for Vaccine and Therapeutic Manufacturing for DARPAon April 27, 2021 at 11:15 am
With a $5 million grant from DARPA, DNA Script and Moderna will develop a prototype for rapid mobile manufacturing of vaccines and therapeutics as part of the DARPA’s Nucleic Acids On-Demand ...
- DNA Script Partners with Moderna to Develop On-Demand Vaccines and Therapeutics for DARPAon April 27, 2021 at 4:14 am
SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. and PARIS, April 27, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- DNA Script today announced a partnership with Moderna, Inc. (Nasdaq: MRNA) to develop a prototype for rapid mobile manufacturing ...
- On-Demand Manufacturing Hack Chaton April 21, 2021 at 5:01 pm
Join us on Wednesday, March 4 at noon Pacific for the On-Demand Manufacturing Hack Chat with ... whether it be for parts used in rapid prototyping or complete production runs of cut and engraved ...
- Sculpteo Study Shows that Additive Manufacturing is Making its Mark on Industryon April 21, 2021 at 2:20 am
Printing service Sculpteo has released its study, The State of 3D Printing, which highlights additive manufacturing users around the world.
- Over-the-counter COVID-19 rapid tests to be sent to major pharmacies this weekon April 19, 2021 at 4:55 pm
Store shelves at pharmacies across the county will soon be filled with affordable, quick, at-home coronavirus test kits. BinaxNOW, a rapid COVID test made by Abbott Laboratories, was shipped Monday to ...
via Bing News