Lithium-carbon dioxide batteries are attractive energy storage systems because they have a specific energy density that is more than seven times greater than commonly used lithium-ion batteries. However, until now, scientists have not been able to develop a fully rechargeable prototype, despite their potential to store more energy.
Researchers at the University of Illinois at Chicago are the first to show that lithium-carbon dioxide batteries can be designed to operate in a fully rechargeable manner, and they have successfully tested a lithium-carbon dioxide battery prototype running up to 500 consecutive cycles of charge/recharge processes.
Their findings are published in the journal Advanced Materials.
“Lithium-carbon dioxide batteries have been attractive for a long time, but in practice, we have been unable to get one that is truly efficient until now,” said Amin Salehi-Khojin, associate professor of mechanical and industrial engineering at UIC’s College of Engineering.
Traditionally, when a lithium-carbon dioxide battery discharges, it produces lithium carbonate and carbon. The lithium carbonate recycles during the charge phase, but the carbon just accumulates on the catalyst, ultimately leading to the battery’s failure.
“The accumulation of carbon not only blocks the active sites of the catalyst and prevents carbon dioxide diffusion, but also triggers electrolyte decomposition in a charged state,” said Alireza Ahmadiparidari, first author of the paper and a UIC College of Engineering graduate student.
Salehi-Khojin and his colleagues used new materials in their experimental carbon dioxide battery to encourage the thorough recycling of both lithium carbonate and carbon. They used molybdenum disulfide as a cathode catalyst combined with a hybrid electrolyte to help incorporate carbon in the cycling process.
Specifically, their combination of materials produces a single multi-component composite of products rather than separate products, making recycling more efficient.
“Our unique combination of materials helps make the first carbon-neutral lithium carbon dioxide battery with much more efficiency and long-lasting cycle life, which will enable it to be used in advanced energy storage systems,” Salehi-Khojin said.
Theoretical calculations performed by Dr. Larry Curtiss’ group at Argonne National Lab were used to deduce a mechanism for the reversible operation of the battery.
The Latest on: Lithium-carbon dioxide battery
via Google News
The Latest on: Lithium-carbon dioxide battery
- Why fossil fuels are here to stayon August 2, 2022 at 1:00 pm
The attempt to phase out fossil fuels is both misguided and dangerous. We use fossil fuels because they are inexpensive, reliable, abundant and concentrated forms of energy. Energy use correlates with ...
- Redwood Materials seeking new air quality permit; public hearing set for Aug. 29on August 2, 2022 at 10:50 am
Former Tesla exec’s Redwood Materials seeking a new environmental permit for the large battery recycling facility near Reno.
- Indorama Ventures and Capchem evaluate proposed carbonate solvents plant to supply North American lithium-ion battery marketon August 1, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Indorama Ventures Public Company Limited (IVL), a global sustainable chemical company, has entered into a non-binding agreement with Capchem Technology USA ...
- Indorama Ventures and Capchem evaluate proposed carbonate solvents plant to supply North American lithium-ion battery marketon August 1, 2022 at 6:56 am
The proposed plant will supply the lithium-ion batteries industry in ... namely purified ethylene oxide and carbon dioxide, will be supplied from IVL's integrated supply network as part the ...
- SK On to Build Lithium Recycling Plants to Slash Carbon Emissionson July 31, 2022 at 7:08 pm
The European environmental group Transportation and Environment (T&E) recently surveyed carbon emissions from the manufacturing processes of different battery types. The process for lithium phosphate, ...
- Ford, Rio Tinto sign MOU for battery and low carbon materials supply to support net-zero futureon July 20, 2022 at 9:30 pm
The multi-materials partnership will support the transition toward a net-zero future by supplying Ford, one of the world’s largest automakers, with materials including lithium, low-carbon aluminium ...
- Lithium-Ion Battery Recycling Market Size Worth $1,392.8 million By 2027 | CAGR 19.6%: The Insight Partnerson July 18, 2022 at 7:44 am
According to The Insight Partners’ research, the Lithium-Ion Battery Recycling ... an aim to lower harmful impact of gases, such as carbon dioxide, on environment. China, Japan, and South ...
- Europe Lithium Iron Phosphate (Lifepo4) Materials And Battery Market By Industry Growth, Size, Share, Demand, Trends, And Manufacturers Analysison July 18, 2022 at 4:50 am
CRIFAX added a report on 'Europe Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4 ... During the period between 2007 and 2017, Carbon-dioxide (CO2) emissions recorded a growth rate of -1.5 percent and a growth ...
- First Rechargeable Carbon-Neutral, Carbon-Dioxide Battery Inventedon July 17, 2022 at 4:59 pm
A team at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) demonstrated a lithium-carbon dioxide battery prototype that can run up to 500 consecutive cycles of charge/recharge processes, they reported.
- Lithium-Ion Battery Market Share 2022 | Industry Analysis, Business Overview and Regional Forecast to 2027on July 4, 2022 at 8:01 pm
Jul 05, 2022 (Alliance News via COMTEX) -- Astute Analytica published a new report on the global Lithium-ion battery ... alternative such as using carbon dioxide from the atmosphere to make ...
via Bing News