Lithium-carbon dioxide batteries are attractive energy storage systems because they have a specific energy density that is more than seven times greater than commonly used lithium-ion batteries. However, until now, scientists have not been able to develop a fully rechargeable prototype, despite their potential to store more energy.
Researchers at the University of Illinois at Chicago are the first to show that lithium-carbon dioxide batteries can be designed to operate in a fully rechargeable manner, and they have successfully tested a lithium-carbon dioxide battery prototype running up to 500 consecutive cycles of charge/recharge processes.
Their findings are published in the journal Advanced Materials.
“Lithium-carbon dioxide batteries have been attractive for a long time, but in practice, we have been unable to get one that is truly efficient until now,” said Amin Salehi-Khojin, associate professor of mechanical and industrial engineering at UIC’s College of Engineering.
Traditionally, when a lithium-carbon dioxide battery discharges, it produces lithium carbonate and carbon. The lithium carbonate recycles during the charge phase, but the carbon just accumulates on the catalyst, ultimately leading to the battery’s failure.
“The accumulation of carbon not only blocks the active sites of the catalyst and prevents carbon dioxide diffusion, but also triggers electrolyte decomposition in a charged state,” said Alireza Ahmadiparidari, first author of the paper and a UIC College of Engineering graduate student.
Salehi-Khojin and his colleagues used new materials in their experimental carbon dioxide battery to encourage the thorough recycling of both lithium carbonate and carbon. They used molybdenum disulfide as a cathode catalyst combined with a hybrid electrolyte to help incorporate carbon in the cycling process.
Specifically, their combination of materials produces a single multi-component composite of products rather than separate products, making recycling more efficient.
“Our unique combination of materials helps make the first carbon-neutral lithium carbon dioxide battery with much more efficiency and long-lasting cycle life, which will enable it to be used in advanced energy storage systems,” Salehi-Khojin said.
Theoretical calculations performed by Dr. Larry Curtiss’ group at Argonne National Lab were used to deduce a mechanism for the reversible operation of the battery.
The Latest on: Lithium-carbon dioxide battery
via Google News
The Latest on: Lithium-carbon dioxide battery
- Global Primary Lithium Battery Market Size, Manufacturers, Supply Chain, Sales Channel and Clients, 2021-2027on August 14, 2021 at 12:56 am
Primary Lithium Batteries are primary batteries that have metallic lithium as an anode.it is one of the most popular primary battery. Primary Lithium Batteries Lithium batteries are widely used in ...
- The net profit of Tianyuan shares has greatly increased by more than 8 times that of titanium dioxide + lithium battery.on August 13, 2021 at 6:47 am
[Tianyuan shares' net profit increased by more than 8 times titanium dioxide + lithium battery boosted performance] recently ... Since the 14th five-year Plan, the state has vigorously promoted ...
- China's lithium-ion battery output soars over 60% in H1on August 11, 2021 at 8:59 am
China's lithium-ion battery output surged over 60% year on year in the first half of 2021 as the country strives to peak carbon dioxide emissions and achieve carbon neutrality, official data shows, ...
- China's to peak carbon dioxide emissions, achieve carbon neutralityon August 8, 2021 at 5:54 am
(MENAFN)According to official data, China's lithium-ion battery output increased 60 percent annual in the January- June period of 2021 as the country plans to mountain carbon dioxide emissions and ...
- China’s lithium-ion battery output soars over 60 pct in H1on August 8, 2021 at 4:00 am
China’s lithium-ion battery output surged over 60 percent year on year in the first half of 2021 as the country strives to peak carbon dioxide emissions and achieve carbon neutrality, official data ...
- Chinese lithium-ion battery production increases more than 60 pct in Jan.-Jun. periodon August 8, 2021 at 1:08 am
(MENAFN) Official figures demonstrate that the Chinese lithium-ion battery production increased ... of this year as China struggle to climax carbon dioxide emissions and achieve carbon neutrality.
- China's lithium-ion battery output soars over 60 pct in H1on August 8, 2021 at 12:47 am
BEIJING, Aug. 8 (Xinhua) -- China's lithium-ion battery output surged over 60 percent year on year in the first half of 2021 as the country strives to peak carbon dioxide emissions and achieve carbon ...
- Vulcan Energy Resources (ASX:VUL) to supply Renault with battery-grade lithiumon August 2, 2021 at 2:19 am
The lithium products will be sourced from Vulcan's Zero ... it can avoid from 300 to 700 kilograms of carbon dioxide for a 50-kilowatt hour battery. Vulcan Managing Director Francis Wedin is pleased ...
- TVOC1 Portable CO2 Air Quality Formaldehyde Carbon Dioxide Detector Indoor Temperature Hygrometer with LED Digital Displayon July 31, 2021 at 7:56 am
1. Five in one: It can be used as carbon dioxide concentration detection, thermometer and hygrometer at the same time. 2. Built-in 1200mha lithium battery, fully charged can stand by for about 6-8 ...
- Energy Dome uses carbon dioxide as a grid-scale batteryon July 29, 2021 at 12:14 am
Carbon dioxide may finally get its chance to become ... of solutions being put forward to replace or complement lithium "big battery" installations designed to soak up excess energy when the ...
via Bing News