A unique new flexible and stretchable device, worn against the skin and capable of producing electrical energy by transforming the compounds present in sweat, was recently developed and patented by CNRS researchers from l’Université Grenoble Alpes and UC San Diego (USA). This cell is already capable of continuously lighting an LED, opening new avenues for the development of wearable electronics powered by autonomous and environmentally friendly biodevices.
This research was published in Advanced Functional Materials on September 25, 2019.
The potential uses for wearable electronic devices continue to increase, especially for medical and athletic monitoring. Such devices require the development of a reliable and efficient energy source that can easily be integrated into the human body. Using “biofuels” present in human organic liquids has long been a promising avenue.
Scientists from the Département de chimie moléculaire (CNRS/Université Grenoble Alpes), who specialize in bioelectrochemistry, decided to collaborate with an American team from UC San Diego, who are experts in nanomachines, biosensors, and nanobioelectronics. Together they developed a flexible conductive material consisting of carbon nanotubes, crosslinked polymers, and enzymes joined by stretchable connectors that are directly printed onto the material through screen-printing1.
The biofuel cell, which follows deformations in the skin, produces electrical energy through the reduction of oxygen and the oxidation of the lactate present in perspiration.
Once applied to the arm, it uses a voltage booster to continuously power an LED. It is relatively simple and inexpensive to produce, with the primary cost being the production of the enzymes that transform the compounds found in sweat. The researchers are now seeking to amplify the voltage provided by the biofuel cell in order to power larger portable devices.
The Latest on: Biofuel cell
via Google News
The Latest on: Biofuel cell
- Deadline Reminder: Law Offices of Howard G. Smith Reminds Investors of Looming Deadline in the Class Action Lawsuit Against bluebird bio, Inc. (BLUE)on February 23, 2021 at 9:59 am
Law Offices of Howard G. Smith reminds investors of the upcoming April 13, 2021 deadline to file a lead plaintiff motion in the case filed on behalf of investors who purchased bluebird bio, Inc.
- Clinical Trial of Gene Therapy for Sickle Cell Haltedon February 23, 2021 at 9:08 am
A clinical trial of a new gene therapy for sickle cell disease that’s shown promise has been halted after two participants were diagnosed with cancer. Therapy developer Bluebird Bio said a patient who ...
- Researchers Halt Trials of Promising Sickle Cell Treatmenton February 23, 2021 at 5:40 am
which is used to clear bone marrow in order to make space for new cells modified by gene therapy. Busulfan is known to confer a blood cancer risk, Dr. Tisdale noted. If it turns out to be the culprit ...
- Cabaletta Bio to Participate in Upcoming Investor Conferences in Marchon February 23, 2021 at 5:00 am
Cabaletta Bio, Inc. (Nasdaq: CABA), a clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on the discovery and development of engineered T cell therapies for patients with B cell-mediated autoimmune diseases ...
- Biopharma's success rate in bringing drugs to market has long been abysmal. Can new tools help rewrite that troubled past?on February 23, 2021 at 4:17 am
In 2011, a team of researchers at British drugmaker AstraZeneca had a problem they were looking to solve. For years, drug discovery and development were a wasteland for innovation. Novel drugs largely ...
- Bio-Techne and Luminary Therapeutics sign license agreement for use of Bio-Techne's TcBustertm for the development of Luminary's CAR-T cell therapieson February 23, 2021 at 4:07 am
Bio-Techne Corporation today announced the signing of a license agreement with Luminary Therapeutics for the use of TcBustertm for the manufacturing of gene-modified cell therapies. TcBuster is ...
- Bio-Techne and Luminary Therapeutics sign license agreement for use of Bio-Techne's TcBuster™ for the development of Luminary's CAR-T cell therapieson February 23, 2021 at 4:00 am
Bio-Techne Corporation (NASDAQ: TECH) today announced the signing of a license agreement with Luminary Therapeutics for the use of TcBuster™ for the manufacturing of ...
- bluebird bio: Positive Resolution Of Clinical Hold Could Drive Asymmetrical Upsideon February 23, 2021 at 2:38 am
At its current perch, BLUE is a risk due to the clinical hold, however, an asymmetrical risk-reward scenario is now upon investors. BLUE's current market cap is $1.73 billion, with $1.3 billion in ...
- Mustang Bio (NASDAQ:MBIO) Stock Price Down 6.6%on February 22, 2021 at 7:10 pm
Shares of Mustang Bio, Inc. (NASDAQ:MBIO) were down 6.6% on Monday . The company traded as low as $3.81 and last traded at $3.82. Approximately 2,285,661 shares changed hands during trading, a decline ...
- Houston's Avance Biosciences announces another expansion, this time focused on cell-based assayson February 18, 2021 at 5:58 am
With its foot in the door of biotech's burgeoning cell and gene therapy industry, Houston's Avance Biosciences is taking advantage of what it says is a ...
via Bing News