NASA demonstrated the first coordinated maneuver between two CubeSats in low-Earth orbit as part of NASA’s Optical Communications and Sensor Demonstration mission.
The twin spacecraft, each approximately the size of a tissue box, were orbiting Earth about 5.5 miles apart when they established a radio frequency communications cross-link to “talk” with each other. One spacecraft issued a command to the second to activate its thruster and close the gap between the two. The fuel tanks on both spacecraft are filled with water. During this propulsive maneuver, the water was converted to steam by the thrusters to propel the spacecraft.
“Demonstrations such as this will help advance technologies that will allow for greater and more extended use of small spacecraft in and beyond Earth-orbit,” said Roger Hunter, program manager of the Small Spacecraft Technology program.
The demonstration was designed with a series of safeguards to ensure that only a pre-planned and authorized maneuver could take place. While it was choreographed by human operators on the ground, the demonstration shows it is possible for a series of propulsive maneuvers to be planned with onboard processing and executed cooperatively by a group of small spacecraft.
“The OCSD team is very pleased to continue demonstrating new technical capabilities as part of this extended mission, over 1.5 years after deployment,” said Darren Rowen, director of the Small Satellite Department at The Aerospace Corporation. “It is exciting to think about the possibilities enabled with respect to deep space, autonomously organizing swarms of small spacecraft.”
The Latest on: Small spacecraft
via Google News
The Latest on: Small spacecraft
- What British TV celebrity is going to space?on August 2, 2022 at 4:08 pm
The maiden flight of NASA’s next-generation rocket will have an animated celebrity on board. The European Space Agency (ESA) announced this week that famous stop-motion British TV character Shaun the ...
- Cramped Room or Apartment? Here's Six Home Organization Ideas for Small Spaceson August 2, 2022 at 3:00 pm
This story is part of Home Tips, CNET's collection of practical advice for getting the most out of your home, inside and out. When COVID-19 hit in 2020, my wife and I, with our tw ...
- Space Junk from SpaceX Crashes Down Onto Australian Farmon August 2, 2022 at 2:58 pm
Elon Musk has made news yet again. A piece of a SpaceX spacecraft recently crashed into a farm in New South Wales, Australia. It is ... Read More ...
- James Webb Space Telescope captures Cartwheel Galaxy in stunning hueson August 2, 2022 at 2:49 pm
A new image from the (JWST) reveals the Cartwheel Galaxy in stunning detail. The image, NASA said, offers new details about star formation and the galax ...
- Expect More Space Junk From Elon Musk and Other Space Travelers: Experton August 2, 2022 at 1:29 pm
Incidents of space debris landing on Earth have reportedly increased due to space tourism and increased exploration from international government agencies.
- Robot surgeon being sent to International Space Stationon August 2, 2022 at 9:52 am
Surgery in microgravity needs to be done at a distance, safely, and with minimal intrusion to protect astronauts ...
- Remote surgical robot to be tested on International Space Stationon August 2, 2022 at 8:43 am
A robot meant to perform surgery remotely will be tested aboard the International Space Station in 2024, the company behind the miniaturized in vivo robotic assistant said on Tuesday.
- San Jose Made provides street space for small businesseson August 1, 2022 at 9:00 pm
San Jose Made was founded in 2011 with a mission to provide opportunities for small businesses and creators to showcase their work. One of its newest events is Sidewalk Shops, which has been hosted ...
- I rent a 550-square-foot apartment with my fiancé and cats. Here are my 4 best tips for living in a small space.on July 30, 2022 at 5:35 am
From designing our home around our behaviors and using vertical space, here's how I've made our rental — which costs $1,050 a month — work for us.
- Before and After: This Boho-Minimalist RV Bedroom Redo Is Packed with Small Space Ideason July 29, 2022 at 3:30 pm
Painting walls white will help a room look airier and larger, which is why it’s a go-to in tiny apartments and in other tiny homes like RVs.Tessa Terry’s (@alchemyrvrenovations) 2009 Forest River ...
via Bing News