NASA demonstrated the first coordinated maneuver between two CubeSats in low-Earth orbit as part of NASA’s Optical Communications and Sensor Demonstration mission.
The twin spacecraft, each approximately the size of a tissue box, were orbiting Earth about 5.5 miles apart when they established a radio frequency communications cross-link to “talk” with each other. One spacecraft issued a command to the second to activate its thruster and close the gap between the two. The fuel tanks on both spacecraft are filled with water. During this propulsive maneuver, the water was converted to steam by the thrusters to propel the spacecraft.
“Demonstrations such as this will help advance technologies that will allow for greater and more extended use of small spacecraft in and beyond Earth-orbit,” said Roger Hunter, program manager of the Small Spacecraft Technology program.
The demonstration was designed with a series of safeguards to ensure that only a pre-planned and authorized maneuver could take place. While it was choreographed by human operators on the ground, the demonstration shows it is possible for a series of propulsive maneuvers to be planned with onboard processing and executed cooperatively by a group of small spacecraft.
“The OCSD team is very pleased to continue demonstrating new technical capabilities as part of this extended mission, over 1.5 years after deployment,” said Darren Rowen, director of the Small Satellite Department at The Aerospace Corporation. “It is exciting to think about the possibilities enabled with respect to deep space, autonomously organizing swarms of small spacecraft.”
The Latest on: Small spacecraft
[google_news title=”” keyword=”small spacecraft” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Small spacecraft
- ‘Spaceman’ Has an Identity Crisis. So Do Plenty of Sci-Fi Space Movies.on March 3, 2024 at 2:01 am
With the release of Adam Sandler’s odd, middling and expensive new Netflix film, a look at space movie misfires of the past and how history repeats itself.
- This tiny yet 'deceptive' New Jersey kitchen is a lesson in making modern rustic work in a small space (there's even a pantry)on March 2, 2024 at 3:00 am
A fairly small kitchen, its design was carefully considered to maximize space while crucially, wall cupboards were avoided to ensure a light and airy feeling throughout. The contrast of modern ...
- Russia Confirms Small But Growing Leak in Space Stationon March 1, 2024 at 12:41 pm
Pfft Russia's space agency says that air is continuing to leak from its segment of the International Space Station and that specialists are monitoring the situation. Fortunately, the leak isn't posing ...
- How to Arrange Your Outdoor Space for Gatherings Large and Smallon March 1, 2024 at 6:49 am
Kevin Sharkey’s outdoor furniture and décor tips can take your space from a romantic dinner for two to a backyard bash for the neighborhood.
- Dozens of migrants found living in small retail space in the Bronxon February 29, 2024 at 3:39 am
The owner of the Bronx furniture store, where migrants were found living in squalid conditions, happens to be the same owner of the Queens store that was busted on Tuesday.
- Small Apartment Nursery Ideas That'll Transform Your Baby's Space From Cramped to Cozyon February 29, 2024 at 1:44 am
A few strategic decisions can turn a cramped room into a cozy, calming space that helps you put your baby to sleep quickly. Let’s talk about it. *Post contains affiliate links. Full disclosure can be ...
- Space and Astronomyon February 28, 2024 at 6:55 am
Astronomers tracked the entry of a small space rock into Earth’s atmosphere, and then meteorite hunters made an unexpected discovery. The robot flew 72 times, serving as a scouting partner to ...
- NASA is going to power small spacecraft with these flexible thin-film solar arrayson February 26, 2024 at 4:18 pm
NASA is taking Ascent Solar Technologies' flexible thin-film solar on a "big power for small spacecraft" mission this summer.
- Top 5 Best Coffee Tables for Small Spaces in 2024on February 26, 2024 at 4:00 pm
They are not only functional but also add to the aesthetics of the space. However, finding the right coffee table for a small living room can be challenging. The wrong size or style can make the ...
- The Best Ways to Furnish a Small Living Spaceon February 22, 2024 at 10:00 am
Living spaces keep getting smaller—and we have to do more in them. With the right furniture choices, you can make the most of every square inch.
via Bing News