Group of scientists at Kaunas University of Technology (KTU). Lithuania have created biodegradable plastic, which decays in a compost bin in a couple of years. Bioplastic created at KTU is transparent and all the materials in its composition are suitable for contact with food.
Globally, the amount of plastic produced in a year is roughly the same as the entire weight of humanity. Only 9% of it is recycled, and the rest is slowly degrading in the landfills. The plastic disintegration process takes from several hundred to a thousand of years; during the time plastic is disintegrating into microplastic particles, which get into the ground waters and from them – into our food and environment.
It is estimated that by 2050 in our oceans there will be more plastic than fish.
War with plastic waste is among the priorities of the current generation. The European Parliament has approved a law banning a wide-range of single-use plastic items, such as straws, cotton buds and cutlery by 2021, and numerous legislations around the world are being passed in order to control plastic waste. Scientists are also taking part in the movement while creating more environmentally-friendly solutions.
A team of researchers from the KTU Faculty of Chemical Technology have created a fully-compostable packaging for food products from bioplastic, which disintegrates with the help of microorganisms.
“We are used to get sandwiches, snacks, pastries, sweets and many other products in a paper bag with a plastic window. With a clear window on the front face, the products in the bag can be viewed easily. Although paper is biologically degradable, it is complicated to separate paper from plastic, and the package is considered non-recyclable and non-compostable. However, if we made the window from biodegradable plastic, it could be composted. Moreover, we could even use the bag for collecting biodegradable waste and put all into the compost bin together”, says Dr Paulius Pavelas Danilovas, the lead researcher of the team.
Compostability is a characteristic of a product that allows it to biodegrade under specific conditions under the influence of microorganisms.
“There are plenty of microorganisms in compost and they digest our plastic very well”, says Dr Danilovas.
According to EU standards, in industrial compost centres, which sustain the temperature of 580C, bioplastic degrades in half a year. However, in a compost bin at home, the process would take a couple of years.
Bioplastic created at KTU laboratories is made from cellulose – a natural material, the main building block of plant cells’ membranes. Usually derived from timber, cellulose is the most common biopolymer found in nature.
According to researchers, the main challenge while creating bioplastic is not only to make it degradable but also transparent, as this quality is often required by customers.
“Usually, to become fluid plastic needs to be heated. However, if you heat paper (which is also based on cellulose) it will not only not become liquid, but will also burn! We are excited to have found composites, which not only allow cellulose to turn into fluid condition but also are non-toxic, which is very important in all products related to food handling”, says Dr Danilovas.
He admits that being environmentally-friendly has its cost – the biodegradable package created at KTU is several times more expensive than usual. However, the growing number of eco-conscious users is encouraging industries to take an interest in biodegradable packaging alternatives.
The Latest on: Bioplastic
via Google News
The Latest on: Bioplastic
- Global Bioplastic Textile Market Share Will Reach USD 1.5 Billion By 2026: Facts & Factorson January 14, 2021 at 3:41 am
New York, NY, Jan. 14, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Facts and Factors have published a new research report titled “Bioplastic Textile Market By Material (Polylactic Acid [PLA], Polyhydroxyalkanoates ...
- Global Bioplastic Textile Market Share Will Reach USD 1.5 Billion By 2026: Facts & Factorson January 14, 2021 at 3:37 am
Facts and Factors have published a new research report titled "Bioplastic Textile Market By Material (Polylactic Acid ...
- Made of bioplastic: The best of 2015on January 13, 2021 at 4:00 pm
2. Onora Casket Dutch packaging expert Marieke Havermans has developed an ecological casket made of 100% purpose-designed bioplastic—a natural fiber-filled PLA-based compound that will decompose via ...
- CAGR with 26.3%, The Global 3D Printed Bioplastics Market Share to Exceed USD 2,635.65 Million by 2026: Facts & Factorson January 13, 2021 at 3:26 pm
According to the research study, the global 3D Printed Bioplastic Market was estimated at USD 518.7 million in 2019 and is expected to reach USD 2,635.65 million by 2026. The global 3D Printed ...
- Bioplastic Improves Pasta Packaging’s Sustainable Footprinton January 13, 2021 at 7:42 am
The anti-plastics movement has motivated some brands to make radical changes from polymer-based packaging to alternatives such as paper or aluminum. But not all. Cucina Fresca Gourmet Foods, a ...
- CAGR with 26.3%, The Global 3D Printed Bioplastics Market Share to Exceed USD 2,635.65 Million by 2026: Facts & Factorson January 12, 2021 at 11:45 pm
New York, NY, Jan. 13, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Facts and Factors have published a new research report titled “3D Printed Bioplastic Market By Form (Filament, Liquid, Powder/Solid), By Material ...
- Global Bioplastic Utensils Market Report 2020 by Key Players, Types, Applications, Countries, Market Size, Forecast to 2026on January 9, 2021 at 4:35 pm
(MENAFN - Nxtgen Reports) The Bioplastic Utensils market is expected to grow from USD X.X million in 2020 to USD X.X million by 2026, at a CAGR of X.X% during the forecast period. The global ...
- Bioplastic Market DRIVES FUTURE CHANGE | BASF SE, Biotec Pvt. Ltd., Biotremon January 9, 2021 at 3:35 am
BASF SE, Biotec Pvt. Ltd., Biotrem Jan 8, 2021 2:30 PM ET Bioplastic Market by Biodegradable Type (Polylactic Acid (PLA), Polybutylene Adipate Terephthalate (PBAT), Polybutylene ...
- Bioplastic Market DRIVES FUTURE CHANGE | BASF SE, Biotec Pvt. Ltd., Biotremon January 8, 2021 at 8:41 pm
Bioplastic Market by Biodegradable Type (Polylactic Acid (PLA), Polybutylene Adipate Terephthalate (PBAT), Polybutylene Succinate (PBS), Polyhydroxyalkanoates (PHA), Starch Blends, and Others), ...
- Bioplastic Textile Market Analysis Research and Development(2022-2031) | Reebok and Adidason January 8, 2021 at 1:20 am
Jan 08, 2021 (WiredRelease via Comtex) -- A recent business intelligence market study announced by Market.us on “Bioplastic Textile Market SWOT Analysis & Key Business Strategies by Leading ...
via Bing News