A research team of Tohoku University, Nissan Motor Co., Shinshu University, and Okayama University made a groundbreaking discovery in the quest to replace hydrofluorocarbons in refrigeration systems with natural refrigerants such as water and alcohol.
Their study involved carrying-out a liquid-to-gas phase transition via a nanosponge, a soft, elastic material equipped with small nanopores less than 10 nanometers. Their findings could lead to more efficient refrigerants with a smaller carbon footprint.
Refrigeration systems are widely used in air conditioners and refrigerators. Conventional systems use hydrofluorocarbons as a refrigerant. However, hydrofluorocarbons are super pollutants. Their Global Warming Potential is about 1300 times higher than that of CO2.
The team of researchers successfully carried out a force-driven liquid-to-gas phase transition using a nanosponge. When a normal, wet sponge is squeezed, naturally, water is expected to come out. However, when using a nanosponge with a pore size of under 10 nanometers, a different phenomenon occurs. Even under low pressure, the sponge retains its liquid.
When applying force, however, the expelled liquid immediately evaporates into gas. Furthermore, as the sponge returns to its natural shape, it adsorbs the gas as a liquid into the nanopores again.
Until now, researchers have not carried out the squeezing process of nanoporous materials because conventional materials are too hard to be deformed. Nevertheless, the team circumvented this by creating their own soft, elastic, nanoporous materials, consisting of a single-layer of graphene walls. They measured their results using a home-made equipment designed to monitor liquid-gas phase transition when mechanical force is applied.
The team thought about the squeezing method after developing soft nanoporous materials. But even they could not anticipate their prediction becoming reality at the first attempt.
To date, there have been only two methods of converting trapped liquid into gas: i. heating or ii. decreasing the gas-phase pressure. The squeezing method provides a third way, generating a new theme in the field of physical chemistry and paving the path for more environmentally friendly refrigeration systems. Cool stuff!
The Latest on: Refrigeration
via Google News
The Latest on: Refrigeration
- Global Refrigeration Lubricant Market Research Report 2021 - Impact of COVID-19 on the Marketon December 3, 2021 at 4:04 am
Pages Report] Check for Discount on Global Refrigeration Lubricant Market Research Report 2021 - Impact of COVID-19 on the Market report by Maia Research.
- Refrigeration Equipment Market Share 2021 – Global Growth, Trends, Industry Analysis, Key Players and Forecast 2027on December 2, 2021 at 9:58 pm
Global Refrigeration Equipment Market includes Extensive company profiling of leading players of the Refrigeration Equipment market. All of the segments studied in the report are analyzed based on ...
- CIFT awarded green refrigeration projecton December 2, 2021 at 10:08 am
The Central Institute of Fisheries Technology (CIFT) here has been awarded a project on “Future Refrigeration India”, aimed at spearheading the fuel transition in the seafood sector.The project named ...
- Whirlpool Corporation Announces Over $65M of Investments in Ottawa, Ohio Plant Operations, Including the Addition of 100+ More Jobson December 2, 2021 at 5:20 am
Whirlpool announced it is investing more than $65 million into its factory in Ottawa, Ohio as part of the company’s ongoing efforts to position the plant as the Premium Refrigeration Factory in its ...
- Global Refrigeration Control Systems Market 2021 Report Explores Key Regions, Company Profile, Opportunity and Challenge to 2027on December 1, 2021 at 5:02 pm
MarketandResearch.biz has deployed an intelligence report entitled Global Refrigeration Control Systems Market Research Report 2021-2027 that is the complete creation of meticulous primary and ...
- Budderfly Partners with KE2 Therm For Refrigeration Monitoring And Sustainabilityon December 1, 2021 at 4:14 am
The agreement enables Budderfly EnergyCloud’s learning algorithms to integrate with KE2 Therm’s KE2 Evaporator Efficiency refrigeration controller for the most efficient operation and precise ...
- Maa Shardha Refrigeration - Haier Service Center Gopalganj, Biharon November 30, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Maa Shardha Refrigeration is one of the well-known service centers you can visit for all your device related damages be it – air conditioners, refrigerators, tv, washing machines. We here have ...
- Global Refrigeration Compressor Aftermarket Market Research Report 2021 - Impact of COVID-19 on the Marketon November 29, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Pages Report] Check for Discount on Global Refrigeration Compressor Aftermarket Market Research Report 2021 - Impact of COVID-19 on the Market report by Maia Research.
- ‘These bags were left without refrigeration’: TikToker’s claim about ‘poof bags’ of chicken at Walmart goes viralon November 29, 2021 at 11:21 am
“I see these big ‘poof’ bags. I told the manager/team leader that this means these bags were left without refrigeration. I know because I’ve done it several times.” “If you eat this ...
- Truck Refrigeration Unit Market Forecast to 2028 COVID-19 Impact and Global Analysis By Typeon November 29, 2021 at 4:43 am
Truck refrigeration units facilitates in controlling the temperature inside the container, enabling a trailer to cool or heat when it is needed. Increasing demand for frozen, processed goods are ...
via Bing News