A research team of Tohoku University, Nissan Motor Co., Shinshu University, and Okayama University made a groundbreaking discovery in the quest to replace hydrofluorocarbons in refrigeration systems with natural refrigerants such as water and alcohol.
Their study involved carrying-out a liquid-to-gas phase transition via a nanosponge, a soft, elastic material equipped with small nanopores less than 10 nanometers. Their findings could lead to more efficient refrigerants with a smaller carbon footprint.
Refrigeration systems are widely used in air conditioners and refrigerators. Conventional systems use hydrofluorocarbons as a refrigerant. However, hydrofluorocarbons are super pollutants. Their Global Warming Potential is about 1300 times higher than that of CO2.
The team of researchers successfully carried out a force-driven liquid-to-gas phase transition using a nanosponge. When a normal, wet sponge is squeezed, naturally, water is expected to come out. However, when using a nanosponge with a pore size of under 10 nanometers, a different phenomenon occurs. Even under low pressure, the sponge retains its liquid.
When applying force, however, the expelled liquid immediately evaporates into gas. Furthermore, as the sponge returns to its natural shape, it adsorbs the gas as a liquid into the nanopores again.
Until now, researchers have not carried out the squeezing process of nanoporous materials because conventional materials are too hard to be deformed. Nevertheless, the team circumvented this by creating their own soft, elastic, nanoporous materials, consisting of a single-layer of graphene walls. They measured their results using a home-made equipment designed to monitor liquid-gas phase transition when mechanical force is applied.
The team thought about the squeezing method after developing soft nanoporous materials. But even they could not anticipate their prediction becoming reality at the first attempt.
To date, there have been only two methods of converting trapped liquid into gas: i. heating or ii. decreasing the gas-phase pressure. The squeezing method provides a third way, generating a new theme in the field of physical chemistry and paving the path for more environmentally friendly refrigeration systems. Cool stuff!
The Latest on: Refrigeration
via Google News
The Latest on: Refrigeration
- Refrigeration Insulation Materials Market $ 5 Billion by 2027 at 5% CAGR – Report by Market Research Future (MRFR)on June 18, 2021 at 2:15 am
The rising demand for food and growing concerns regarding food security are observed to boost sales of refrigeration systems. The increase in food consumption on a global scale due to population ...
- Refrigeration Insulation Materials Market $ 5 Billion by 2027 at 5% CAGR – Report by Market Research Future (MRFR)on June 18, 2021 at 2:00 am
Refrigeration Insulation Materials Market Overview: According to a comprehensive research report by (MRFR), “ Refrigeration Insulation Materials Market - Information by Material Type, Application, ...
- Global Refrigeration Oil Market Data Survey Report 2016-2027on June 17, 2021 at 10:45 pm
Refrigeration Oil market companies. Research organizations and consulting companies. Organizations, associations and alliances related to the Refrigeration Oil market industry. Government bodies ...
- Global Beverage Refrigeration Market | Growing at CAGR 3.2% | Expected to Reach USD 3920.6 Million | During Forecast Period 2021-2027on June 17, 2021 at 4:30 am
Jun 17, 2021 (The Expresswire) -- "Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this Beverage Refrigeration industry." Global ...
- Industrial Refrigeration Compressor Market Growth Analysis with Industry Trends 2021: Business Insights of Leading Players, Forecast to 2026on June 17, 2021 at 1:12 am
A new report released by Market Research Update is Industrial Refrigeration Compressor Market 2021. This report provides up-to-date information on the market and also pinpoint all the opportunities ...
- Global Refrigeration Monitoring Market to Reach $11.5 Billion by 2027on June 17, 2021 at 12:12 am
Abstract: - Global Refrigeration Monitoring Market to Reach $11. 5 Billion by 2027. - Amid the COVID-19 crisis, the global market for Refrigeration Monitoring estimated at US$7.New York, June 17, 2021 ...
- $1 million grant awarded to eliminate the need for drug refrigerationon June 16, 2021 at 3:52 pm
COVID-19 vaccines have been tested, validated and administered to millions of people around the world. But in some countries, the vaccines have yet to arrive in great enough numbers.
- Global Commercial Refrigeration Equipment Market Report 2021-2028on June 16, 2021 at 11:00 am
The "Commercial Refrigeration Equipment Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report by Product, by Application, by System Type ...
- How the Commercial Refrigeration Equipment Market Has Witnessed Substantial Growth in Coming Years?on June 14, 2021 at 7:00 am
The food and beverage sector is growing around the world on account of the rapid economic prosperity This growth is being reflected not only in the rising demand for processed food but also in the ...
via Bing News