A research team of Tohoku University, Nissan Motor Co., Shinshu University, and Okayama University made a groundbreaking discovery in the quest to replace hydrofluorocarbons in refrigeration systems with natural refrigerants such as water and alcohol.
Their study involved carrying-out a liquid-to-gas phase transition via a nanosponge, a soft, elastic material equipped with small nanopores less than 10 nanometers. Their findings could lead to more efficient refrigerants with a smaller carbon footprint.
Refrigeration systems are widely used in air conditioners and refrigerators. Conventional systems use hydrofluorocarbons as a refrigerant. However, hydrofluorocarbons are super pollutants. Their Global Warming Potential is about 1300 times higher than that of CO2.
The team of researchers successfully carried out a force-driven liquid-to-gas phase transition using a nanosponge. When a normal, wet sponge is squeezed, naturally, water is expected to come out. However, when using a nanosponge with a pore size of under 10 nanometers, a different phenomenon occurs. Even under low pressure, the sponge retains its liquid.
When applying force, however, the expelled liquid immediately evaporates into gas. Furthermore, as the sponge returns to its natural shape, it adsorbs the gas as a liquid into the nanopores again.
Until now, researchers have not carried out the squeezing process of nanoporous materials because conventional materials are too hard to be deformed. Nevertheless, the team circumvented this by creating their own soft, elastic, nanoporous materials, consisting of a single-layer of graphene walls. They measured their results using a home-made equipment designed to monitor liquid-gas phase transition when mechanical force is applied.
The team thought about the squeezing method after developing soft nanoporous materials. But even they could not anticipate their prediction becoming reality at the first attempt.
To date, there have been only two methods of converting trapped liquid into gas: i. heating or ii. decreasing the gas-phase pressure. The squeezing method provides a third way, generating a new theme in the field of physical chemistry and paving the path for more environmentally friendly refrigeration systems. Cool stuff!
The Latest on: Refrigeration
via Google News
The Latest on: Refrigeration
- Refrigeration Compressor Market Shaping from Growth to Value(2022-2031)| Emerson and GMCCon January 11, 2021 at 3:47 am
Global Refrigeration Compressor Market Recapitulation by 2031 A futuristic comprehensive insight of applications and statistical challenges of the Refrigeration Compressor market is recently added by ...
- Industrial Refrigeration Equipment Market Size-Industry Analysis, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast 2020-2026on January 11, 2021 at 1:20 am
Global Industrial Refrigeration Equipment Market is valued approximately USD XX billion in 2019 and is anticipated to grow with a healthy growth rate of more than XX% over the forecast period ...
- Manila LGU buys refrigeration units, transport coolers for COVID vaccineson January 10, 2021 at 6:42 pm
The Manila city government has signed a deal for the acquisition of 12 refrigeration units that will be used to store coronavirus disease (COVID-19) vaccines.
- Insights on the Magnetic Refrigeration Global Market to 2025 - Featuring Ubiblue, Camfridge and BASF Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.comon January 8, 2021 at 11:04 pm
ResearchAndMarkets.com The “Magnetic Refrigeration Market - Forecasts from 2020 to 2025” report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com’s offering. The magnetic refrigeration market is estimated to ...
- Sonoma County acquires refrigeration trailer as coronavirus deaths mounton January 8, 2021 at 12:47 pm
The trailer can hold 56 bodies if the morgue gets “bombarded with deaths” and reaches its limit, a Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office spokesman said.
- Renault fits electric truck with solar panels for its refrigeration uniton January 8, 2021 at 5:20 am
Panels are at their best on a sunny day, when the refrigeration unit needs the most power. Renault Trucks has fitted one of its electric vehicles with roof-mounted solar panels. The idea is to capture ...
- Commercial Refrigeration Equipment Market 2020-2024- Featuring AB Electrolux, Ali Group Srl, among others to contribute to the market growth | Industry Analysis, Market Trends ...on January 6, 2021 at 10:41 am
The commercial refrigeration equipment market is poised to grow by USD 12.39 bn during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of almost 6% during the forecast period. Worried about the impact of COVID-19 on ...
- Ventilation, Heating, Air-Conditioning, and Commercial Refrigeration Equipment Manufacturing Industry | Discover, Track, Compare, Evaluate Companies on BizVibeon January 6, 2021 at 7:30 am
BizVibe has added detailed company profiles to their HVAC and commercial refrigeration equipment manufacturing category.
- Industrial Refrigeration Equipment Global Market Report 2020-30: COVID-19 Growth And Changeon January 4, 2021 at 4:37 am
Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Industrial Refrigeration Equipment Global Market Report 2020-30: ...
- Ozaukee County employee loses job after intentionally removing vaccine doses from refrigerationon December 30, 2020 at 10:52 pm
An Ozaukee County clinic that discarded over 500 doses of the Moderna vaccine last week discovered the vials were taken out of a pharmacy refrigerator on purpose.
via Bing News