A research team of Tohoku University, Nissan Motor Co., Shinshu University, and Okayama University made a groundbreaking discovery in the quest to replace hydrofluorocarbons in refrigeration systems with natural refrigerants such as water and alcohol.
Their study involved carrying-out a liquid-to-gas phase transition via a nanosponge, a soft, elastic material equipped with small nanopores less than 10 nanometers. Their findings could lead to more efficient refrigerants with a smaller carbon footprint.
Refrigeration systems are widely used in air conditioners and refrigerators. Conventional systems use hydrofluorocarbons as a refrigerant. However, hydrofluorocarbons are super pollutants. Their Global Warming Potential is about 1300 times higher than that of CO2.
The team of researchers successfully carried out a force-driven liquid-to-gas phase transition using a nanosponge. When a normal, wet sponge is squeezed, naturally, water is expected to come out. However, when using a nanosponge with a pore size of under 10 nanometers, a different phenomenon occurs. Even under low pressure, the sponge retains its liquid.
When applying force, however, the expelled liquid immediately evaporates into gas. Furthermore, as the sponge returns to its natural shape, it adsorbs the gas as a liquid into the nanopores again.
Until now, researchers have not carried out the squeezing process of nanoporous materials because conventional materials are too hard to be deformed. Nevertheless, the team circumvented this by creating their own soft, elastic, nanoporous materials, consisting of a single-layer of graphene walls. They measured their results using a home-made equipment designed to monitor liquid-gas phase transition when mechanical force is applied.
The team thought about the squeezing method after developing soft nanoporous materials. But even they could not anticipate their prediction becoming reality at the first attempt.
To date, there have been only two methods of converting trapped liquid into gas: i. heating or ii. decreasing the gas-phase pressure. The squeezing method provides a third way, generating a new theme in the field of physical chemistry and paving the path for more environmentally friendly refrigeration systems. Cool stuff!
The Latest on: Refrigeration
via Google News
The Latest on: Refrigeration
- How brands are reinventing refrigerationon August 1, 2022 at 8:04 am
What innovations are setting the standard for refrigeration in 2022? How are brands making refrigeration more efficient, intuitive and contemporary? In this series, we'll explore new innovations in ...
- Freon gas leak forces evacuation of Pittsfield Walmart; store shut down to customerson August 1, 2022 at 7:45 am
The Walmart store in Pittsfield was evacuated this morning due to a freon gas leak, according to the Pittsfield Fire Department.
- Hudson Technologies Announces Strategic Alliance with Lennox International Inc.on August 1, 2022 at 5:30 am
Hudson Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: HDSN), a leading provider of innovative and sustainable refrigerant products and services to the Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration industry – ...
- Could the climate bill warm Americans to heat pumps?on August 1, 2022 at 3:39 am
President Joe Biden has done little to boost heat pump supply since he invoked the Defense Production Act. But experts say demand is the industry's true ...
- Energy Efficient Motor Market Is Anticipated to Expand With a CAGR of 3.5% From 2022 to 2028 | 117 Report Pageson August 1, 2022 at 12:18 am
Report Pages No117] In 2022,What is “Energy Efficient Motor Market” Insights? Global Energy Efficient Motor market size ...
- Carrier Adds Premium Performance Trailer Refrigeration Unitson July 29, 2022 at 5:05 am
Carrier's new trailer refrigeration units offer double-digit fuel efficiency improvements and lifetime compliance with California Air Resources Board emissions requirements.
- Commercial Refrigeration Equipment Market Overview, Dynamics, Segment Analysis, Regional Overview and Recent Developments 2029on July 28, 2022 at 1:32 am
Commercial Refrigeration Equipment Market Is Expected To Reach USD 71.81 Billion By 2029 At A CAGR Of 7.30 percent. Maximize Market Research has published a report on the Commercial Refrigeration ...
- Commercial Refrigeration Business Ranks As UK’s Premier Online Specialistson July 27, 2022 at 7:01 pm
FFD and Cory Greenhough are pleased to announce that the commercial refrigeration company has been providing premium quality products & services across the United Kingdom, into Europe and further ...
- Commercial Refrigeration Business Ranks As UK’s Premier Online Specialistson July 27, 2022 at 1:52 pm
Barwell, Leicestershire - Fridge Freezer Direct has been operating on the World Wide Web for many years, but the commercial refrigeration pedigree dates back much further to the mid-90s. The business ...
- Carrier Transicold Introduces Four Premium Performance Trailer Refrigeration Unitson July 27, 2022 at 8:22 am
Helping to provide increasingly sustainable choices in transport refrigeration, Carrier Transicold is introducing four new premium performance trailer refrigeration units that offer double-digit fuel ...
via Bing News