Advancements in zero-emission fuel cells could make the technology cheap enough to replace traditional gasoline engines in vehicles, according to researchers at the University of Waterloo.
The researchers have developed a new fuel cell that lasts at least 10 times longer than current technology, an improvement that would make them economically practical, if mass-produced, to power vehicles with electricity.
“With our design approach, the cost could be comparable or even cheaper than gasoline engines,” said Xianguo Li, director of the Fuel Cell and Green Energy Lab at Waterloo. “The future is very bright. This is clean energy that could boom.”
Researchers initially concentrated on hybrid vehicles, which now have gas engines as well as batteries due to issues involving limited driving range and long charging times.
Existing fuel cells could theoretically replace those gas engines, which power generators to recharge batteries while hybrid vehicles are in operation, but are impractical because they are too expensive.
The researchers solved that problem with a design that makes fuel cells far more durable by delivering a constant, rather than fluctuating, amount of electricity.
That means the cells, which produce electricity from the chemical reaction when hydrogen and oxygen are combined to make water, can be far simpler and therefore far cheaper.
“We have found a way to lower costs and still satisfy durability and performance expectations,” said Li, a professor of mechanical and mechatronics engineering. “We’re meeting economic targets while providing zero emissions for a transportation application.”
Researchers hope the introduction of fuel cells in hybrid vehicles will lead to mass production and lower unit costs. That could pave the way for the replacement of both batteries and gas engines entirely by providing an affordable, safe, dependable, clean source of electrical power.
“This is a good first step, a transition to what could be the answer to the internal combustion engine and the enormous environmental harm it does,” said Li.
The Latest on: Zero-emission fuel cells
via Google News
The Latest on: Zero-emission fuel cells
- Nuvera, DD DANNAR to develop hydrogen fuel cell power solutionson July 23, 2021 at 9:04 am
Nuvera Fuel Cells and DD DANNAR have joined forces to develop hydrogen fuel cell power solutions for markets in critical need of clean power. Formalising the partnership today (July 23), the duo said ...
- Siemens orders fuel cell modules from Ballard Power Systemson July 22, 2021 at 1:00 am
BLDP has announced that the order consists of two of its 200kW units for powering a train. Ballard Power Systems (TSE stock symbol BLDP) has announced that it ...
- Global Fuel Cell Trucks Market Report 2021: Roadmap to Hydrogen Mobility in Truckson July 21, 2021 at 7:13 pm
The "Global Fuel Cell Trucks Growth Opportunities" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. Globally, countries are increasingly adopting policies to increase the pace of transition ...
- Along with CAGR of 65.36%, Know How Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle Market size is growing in Key Regions to Reach at Next Level in Coming Years?on July 21, 2021 at 1:44 am
Selbyville, Delaware. Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle Market report provides key statistics on the market status of ...
- Fuel Cell Market 2021 Major Companies Profile, Competitive Landscape, Key Regions and Investments Forecaston July 20, 2021 at 5:59 am
The global “Fuel Cell Market” is expected to rise with an impressive CAGR and generate the highest revenue by 2026.
- Global Fuel Cell Trucks Growth Opportunitieson July 20, 2021 at 1:57 am
Globally, countries are increasingly adopting policies to increase the pace of transition toward zero emission. Governments are evaluating different pathways to achieve carbon neutrality, and ...
- Hydrogen fuel cell buses achieve highest fleet mileage in AC Transit’s new ZETBTA studyon July 20, 2021 at 12:57 am
Alameda-Contra Cost Transit District (AC Transit) has unveiled the first iteration of its zero-emission transit bus technology analysis (ZETBTA) study with hydrogen fuel cell buses achieving the ...
- Ballad Power (BLDP) Gets Fuel Cell Modules Order From Siemenson July 16, 2021 at 8:00 am
Ballard Power Systems (BLDP) continues to receive orders for high-quality fuel cell modules from customers across the globe.
- Alkaline Fuel Cell Power Corp. to Commence Trading on NEO Exchange Under Ticker 'PWWR'on July 15, 2021 at 10:49 am
Alkaline Fuel Cell Power Corp. (NEO: PWWR) (" Fuel Cell Power " or the " Company "), formerly known as Black Isle Resources Corporation, a company focused on the design, development and ...
- Ballard Receives Initial Order for Fuel Cell Modules to Power Tata Motors' Zero-Emission Hydrogen Fuel Cell Electric Buses in Indiaon July 14, 2021 at 4:49 pm
Ballard Power Systems (NASDAQ: BLDP; TSX: BLDP) announced that it has received a purchase order for 15 of the Company's 70-kilowatt (kW) FCmoveTM-HD fuel cell modules from Tata Motors ("Tata"; ...
via Bing News