Advancements in zero-emission fuel cells could make the technology cheap enough to replace traditional gasoline engines in vehicles, according to researchers at the University of Waterloo.
The researchers have developed a new fuel cell that lasts at least 10 times longer than current technology, an improvement that would make them economically practical, if mass-produced, to power vehicles with electricity.
“With our design approach, the cost could be comparable or even cheaper than gasoline engines,” said Xianguo Li, director of the Fuel Cell and Green Energy Lab at Waterloo. “The future is very bright. This is clean energy that could boom.”
Researchers initially concentrated on hybrid vehicles, which now have gas engines as well as batteries due to issues involving limited driving range and long charging times.
Existing fuel cells could theoretically replace those gas engines, which power generators to recharge batteries while hybrid vehicles are in operation, but are impractical because they are too expensive.
The researchers solved that problem with a design that makes fuel cells far more durable by delivering a constant, rather than fluctuating, amount of electricity.
That means the cells, which produce electricity from the chemical reaction when hydrogen and oxygen are combined to make water, can be far simpler and therefore far cheaper.
“We have found a way to lower costs and still satisfy durability and performance expectations,” said Li, a professor of mechanical and mechatronics engineering. “We’re meeting economic targets while providing zero emissions for a transportation application.”
Researchers hope the introduction of fuel cells in hybrid vehicles will lead to mass production and lower unit costs. That could pave the way for the replacement of both batteries and gas engines entirely by providing an affordable, safe, dependable, clean source of electrical power.
“This is a good first step, a transition to what could be the answer to the internal combustion engine and the enormous environmental harm it does,” said Li.
The Latest on: Zero-emission fuel cells
via Google News
The Latest on: Zero-emission fuel cells
- Calls Grow For Full Investigation Into BP-Linked Fuel Causing Ship Incidents Around Worldon January 20, 2021 at 4:03 am
Following an investigation into the BP-linked ship fuel associated with a major oil spill in Mauritius last summer, environmental and marine worker groups are now calling for a full and urgent ...
- ANALYSIS-A lot of hot air? Investors snap up hydrogen stocks in green frenzyon January 20, 2021 at 4:00 am
An unprecedented rally in “green” hydrogen stocks looks set to extend as investors flock to companies which promise to produce the gas without using fossil fuels, expecting the technology to scale up ...
- Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle Market 2021 | Manufacturers, Types, Regions and Applications Research Report Forecast to 2023on January 19, 2021 at 11:44 pm
Market Highlights A fuel cell vehicle combines hydrogen with oxygen to create electricity, which in turn runs the vehicle, ...
- Hyundai Motor to set up fuel cell plant in Chinaon January 19, 2021 at 7:39 pm
Hyundai Motor Group has signed an investment contract with the government of Guangdong Province in China to establish an offshore fuel cell system production facility in Guangzhou. The investment ...
- Hyundai motor group advances hydrogen strategy with new fuel cell system plant in Guangzhouon January 17, 2021 at 4:26 am
New plant will initially produce 6,500 fuel cell systems a year and aims to gradually increase capacity in line with market demand Investment advances the Group’s global hydrogen leadership and ...
- Hyundai Motor Group Advances Hydrogen Strategy with New Fuel Cell System Plant in Guangzhouon January 17, 2021 at 3:24 am
As part of the Group’s effort to foster zero-emission society, Hyundai recently launched HTWO, a new brand to represent its world-leading hydrogen fuel cell system. It has also strengthened its ...
- Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle (FCEV) Market 2020 Brief Analysis || Leading Players 2026on January 15, 2021 at 3:51 am
The fuel cell electric vehicle (FCEV) market is expected to gain traction by 2026 as a result of strict fuel economy standards introduced by government and regulatory authorities like the European ...
- Ballard Power (BLDP) Wins Arcola's Fuel Cell Module Orderon January 14, 2021 at 9:31 am
Ballard Power Systems BLDP received a purchase order for heavy-duty vehicles and transport applications, and Ballard FCmoveTM-HD fuel cell modules from Arcola Energy. It will be used to power a ...
- Ballard Receives Order for Scotland's First Fuel Cell-Powered Trainon January 14, 2021 at 4:12 am
Shares of Ballard Power Systems traded 18% higher to a new 52-week high after the company reported that it had received an order from Arcola Energy for its FCmove-HD fuel cell modules that will be ...
- Fuel Cell / Hydrogen Stock News: Groupe Renault & Plug Power (NASDAQ: $PLUG) Join Forces To Become Leader In Hydrogen LCVon January 13, 2021 at 10:18 am
Groupe Renault, top automotive player, and Plug Power Inc. (NASDAQ: PLUG), global leader in fuel cell systems and hydrogen related services, announced the signature of a Memorandum Of Understanding (M ...
via Bing News