Researchers have designed an ultrathin display that can project dynamic, multi-coloured, 3D holographic images, according to a study published in Nature Communications.
The system’s critical component is a thin film of titanium filled with tiny holes that precisely correspond with each pixel in a liquid crystal display (LCD) panel. This film acts as a ‘photon sieve’ – each pinhole diffracts light emerging from them widely, resulting in a high-definition 3D image observable from a wide angle.
The entire system is very small: they used a 1.8-inch off-the-shelf LCD panel with a resolution of 1024 x 768. The titanium film, attached to the back of the panel, is a mere 300 nanometres thick.
“Our approach suggests that holographic displays could be projected from thin devices, like a cell phone,” says Professor YongKeun Park, a physicist at KAIST who led the research. The team demonstrated their approach by producing a hologram of a moving, tri-coloured cube.
Specifically, the images are made by pointing differently coloured laser beams made of parallel light rays at the small LCD panel. The photon sieve has a hole for each pixel in the LCD panel. The holes are precisely positioned to correspond to the pixel’s active area. The pinholes diffract the light emerging from them, producing 3D images.
Previous studies from Professor Park’s group have used optical diffusors for the same purpose, but the size of the device was bulky and difficult to be operated, and it took a long period of time to calibrate. In the present work, on the other hand, the group tailored their photon sieve to demonstrate a simple, compact and scalable method for 3D holographic display. This technique can be readily applied to existing LCD displays.
Applications for holograms have been limited by cumbersome techniques, high computation requirements, and poor image quality. Improving current techniques could lead to a wide variety of applications, including 3D cinema viewing without the need for glasses, watching holographic videos on television and smart phone screens.
Learn more: A Hole in One for Holographic Display
The Latest on: Holographic display
via Google News
The Latest on: Holographic display
- Island Wonderland light show moves to Cowichanon December 8, 2021 at 6:42 pm
Island Wonderland is billed as an immersive, outdoor walk-through show and display featuring atmospheric sounds, lasers, holographic displays and projection mapping. The group behind a drive-through ...
- WiMi Shares Gain On VR Display Product Launchon December 8, 2021 at 9:40 am
WiMi Hologram Cloud Inc (NASDAQ:WIMI) launched a new Virtual reality (VR) head-mounted display (HMD) product for the consumer market. The product named "WiMi HoloVR" aims to stren ...
- WIMI Reports Release of WiMi HoloVR to Enhance User Experiences in the Metaverseon December 8, 2021 at 8:23 am
WiMi Hologram Cloud Inc. (NASDAQ: WIMI) reported release of a new Virtual Reality head mounted display product for consumers named “WiMi HoloVR” to push its software and hardware research and ...
- WIMI Announces the Release of “WiMi HoloVR “to Enhance User Experience in the Metaverseon December 8, 2021 at 5:30 am
WiMi Hologram Cloud Inc. (Nasdaq: WIMI) (“WiMi” or the “Company”), a leading global application solution provider of holographic augmented reality (“AR”) , today announced release of a new Virtual ...
- Halle Berry, 55, stuns with busty display in plunging catsuit at People's Choice Awardson December 7, 2021 at 11:09 pm
HALLE BERRY sparkled in sequins last night while surrounded by fellow celebrities like Dwayne Johnson and Cardi B, as she collected her People's Choice Award and dedicated it to her two children, ...
- Why some companies are bringing virtual items into physical space via AR and hologram technologyon December 7, 2021 at 9:01 pm
Though the most well-known conceptualization of the metaverse hinges on the use of VR headsets, AR technology is currently much more accessible than VR.
- Add another dimension to your Christmas displayon December 2, 2021 at 3:08 am
Christmas window displays are one of the most exciting parts of the season for brands and customers alike. Across the country in malls and along sidewalks, businesses of all shapes and sizes look to o ...
- Canada's First Ever PORTL Hologram Display Kicks Off with Johnnie Walkeron December 1, 2021 at 2:33 pm
Fully immersive experience launches in partnership with MOUSE 3D DIGITAL and Diageo Johnnie Walker's Bartender Hologram via PORTL MOUSE 3D DIGITAL and Diageo partnered to bring the first PORTL to ...
- Holographic Breakthrough In The Wayray Holograktor Could Disrupt Car Interior Designon November 30, 2021 at 6:39 am
Built to highlight the maturing of the WayRay technology, the ride-sharing concept could even result in discounted fares for people willing to use the Holograktor’s additional screens highlighting ...
- 3D Holographic Display and Services Market Size Forecasted to Reach Valuation of USD 3.45 Billion in 2028on November 29, 2021 at 12:17 pm
The global 3D holographic display and services market size is expected to reach USD 3.45 Billion in 2028, and register a revenue CAGR of 23.8% over the forecast period. Steady revenue growth of the ...
via Bing News