Train your brain, change your brain
Less than one hour of brain training with neurofeedback leads to a strengthening of neural connections and communication among brain areas. This is the main finding of a new study conducted at D’Or Institute for Research and Education (IDOR), published today in Neuroimage. According to the authors, the study may pave the way for the optimization and development of therapeutic approaches against stroke and Parkinson’s, for example.
“We knew that the brain has an amazing ability to adapt itself, but we were not sure that we could observe these changes so quickly. Understanding of how we can impact on brain wiring and functioning is the key to treat neurological disorders”, says Theo Marins, a biomedical scientist from IDOR and the Ph.D. responsible for the study.
Neurofeedback has been considered a promising way to regulate dysfunctional brain areas associated with disorders, such as chronic pain and depression, for example. With this technique, the magnetic resonance equipment helps individuals to have access to their own brain activity in real time and quickly gain control over it.
Thirty-six healthy subjects participated in the study in which the goal was to increase the activity of brain regions involved in hand movements. However, instead of actually move their hand, participants were asked to only imagine the movement, in total rest. Nineteen of them received the real brain training and the remaining seventeen were trained with placebo neurofeedback, for comparisons purposes. Immediately before and after the brain training, which lasted around 30 minutes, their neural networks were scanned in order to investigate the impact of the neurofeedback (or placebo) on brain wiring and communication, also known as structural and functional connectivity, respectively.
The results show that the corpus callosum – the major cerebral bridge that connects the right and left hemispheres – exhibited increased integrity, and the neural network controlling the movements of the body became strengthened. It seems that the whole system became more robust. Likewise, the training also had a positive impact on the default mode network, a brain network which is impaired after stroke, Parkinson’s and depression, for example. These changes were not observed in the control group.
“We showed that the neurofeedback can be considered a powerful tool to induce brain changes at record speed. Now, our goal is to develop new studies to test whether patients with neurological disorders can also benefit from it”, concludes Fernanda Tovar Moll, president of IDOR and leader of the study.
Learn more: Train your brain, change your brain
The Latest on: Brain training
via Google News
The Latest on: Brain training
- Neuroscience expert shares back-to-school brain hackson August 20, 2021 at 7:59 am
Neuroscience expert Patrick Porter offers some back to school brain hacks and tips for all of us to reboot our brains after the summertime.
- Brain Training Software Market Worth Observing Growth by 2026: Sudoku, Lumosity, Happy Neuron, My Brain Trainer, Crosswords, Braingleon August 16, 2021 at 9:56 am
What’s keeping Sudoku, Lumosity, Happy Neuron, My Brain Trainer, Crosswords, Braingle, Queendom, Brain Age Concentration Training Ahead in the Market? Benchmark yourself with strategic steps and ...
- Save Your Dog From Going into Depression With Brain Trainingon August 15, 2021 at 3:58 am
Many studies today describe well that boredom is the root cause behind the development of apathy, depression, and stress in your dog. 2. A peculiar study done by the Association for Computing ...
- Brain-training app aids cognitive function after brain injuryon August 13, 2021 at 10:00 am
(HealthDay)—A self-directed brain training app may be effective for improving cognitive impairment following mild traumatic brain injury (mTBI), according to a study published online July 27 in Brain.
- Incredible Growth of Brain Training Apps Market | Major Growth Player from 2021-2027 |Cognifit, Elevate, Peak, Rosetta Stone Ltdon August 10, 2021 at 10:10 am
The data in the report are genuine and provide deep knowledge of the Brain Training Apps market. The report has all the requirements that you need to understand how the current trends in the global ...
- Insights on the Brain Training Apps Global Market to 2028 - Size, Share, Outlook, and Opportunity Analysison August 3, 2021 at 7:35 am
DUBLIN, Aug. 3, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- The "Brain Training Apps Market, By App Type, By User Type, and By Region - Size, Share, Outlook, and Opportunity Analysis, 2021 - 2028" report has been added ...
- Worldwide Brain Training Apps Industry to 2028 - Featuring Elevate, Rosetta Stone and Wise Therapeutics Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.comon August 3, 2021 at 6:06 am
DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The "Brain Training Apps Market, By App Type, By User Type, and By Region - Size, Share, Outlook, and Opportunity Analysis, 2021 - 2028" report has been added to ...
- Worldwide Brain Training Apps Industry to 2028 – Featuring Elevate, Rosetta Stone and Wise Therapeutics Among Others – ResearchAndMarkets.comon August 3, 2021 at 4:34 am
The “Brain Training Apps Market, By App Type, By User Type, and By Region – Size, Share, Outlook, and Opportunity Analysis, 2021 – 2028” report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com’s offering.
- Global Brain Training Apps Market (2021 to 2028) - by App Type, User Type and Regionon August 3, 2021 at 2:44 am
Dublin, Aug. 03, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The "Brain Training Apps Market, By App Type, By User Type, and By Region - Size, Share, Outlook, and Opportunity Analysis, 2021 - 2028" report has been ...
- Best Brain Training Games: Riddles, Brain Teasers, Puzzles, and Moreon August 1, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Brain training games are games that allow players to complete tasks that practice specific cognitive skills that exercise their memory, attention span, logic, and fast thinking. Brain training ...
via Bing News