Advance could reduce both annual energy consumption and cost.
While many advancements have been in improving its efficiency, the refrigerator still consumes considerable amounts of energy each year.
“Energy efficiency of a normal refrigerator is affected by the heat-insulating property of the thermal barriers of the freezer. This is due to its low inner temperature,” explained Jingyu Cao at the University of Science and Technology of China. “There is a significant difference in temperature between the freezer of a traditional refrigerator and ambient air temperature and the normal thermal barrier of the freezer causes considerable cold loss.”
Cao and his team hypothesized that using part of the cold loss to cool the fresh food compartment could be a promising solution in improving the efficiency of the refrigerator. They describe their findings in the Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, from AIP Publishing.
“The evaporating temperature of the refrigeration cycle depends only on the freezer temperature and appropriate reduction of the evaporator area in the fresh food compartment will not decrease the overall efficiency,” explained Cao.
“Most families need one or two refrigerators and they are always on 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. That wastes a lot of energy. Even if we can save a little energy, that helps the human race be more energy-efficient,” said Cao.
Cao and his team are not the first scientists to attempt to improve the efficiency of household refrigeration. Extensive experiments by many different scientists have looked at various parts of the refrigerator to improve energy consumption, but a definitive solution has not yet been found. In Cao’s study, a novel refrigerator with a loop thermosyphon is put forward to decrease the heat transfer between the freezer and ambient air.
“One of the surprises was how much energy we saved. The energy-saving ratio of the improved walls got close to 30 percent — more than we had expected. This technology even works in hot climates like the desert.”
Although Cao’s study is currently based on theoretical calculation, the results are promising. “It has great potential to be popularized as a sustainable energy technology or applied in the renewable energy field, considering its significant energy-saving effect, simple structure and low cost,” said Cao.
The Latest on: Sustainable energy technology
via Google News
The Latest on: Sustainable energy technology
- Carnegie’s wave energy technology may get gig in Scotland and Spainon December 7, 2021 at 6:34 pm
Carnegie Clean Energy’s Australian wave energy technology selected to compete in round one of a program designed to advance global wave power industry.
- European Sustainable Growth Acquisition Corp Announces Effectiveness of Registration Statement for Proposed Business Combination with ADS-TEC Energyon December 7, 2021 at 1:30 pm
ADS-TEC Energy GmbH ("ADS-TEC Energy" or "the Company"), a global leader in battery buffered ultrafast charging technology, and European Sustainable Growth Acquisition Corp. ("EUSG"), a publicly ...
- Advisory Board for Tomorrow Water Project Formed to Deliver Sustainable Wastewater Treatment in Developing Nationson December 7, 2021 at 10:35 am
Through innovative technology and thought-leadership ... Tomorrow Water is committed to building sustainable waste and wastewater management systems, integrating low-energy wastewater treatment, ...
- Ubiquitous Energy Leadership Recognized for Solar Energy Innovation as World Responds to Urgent Climate Crisison December 7, 2021 at 7:35 am
Miles Barr, Co-founder & CTO, Named to 2021 Environment + Energy Leader 100 List As Company Leads the Next Evolution in Solar Energy Solutions to Reach Carbon Neutral ...
- Comet Bio Announces Investment in Sustainable Food Manufacturing Facilityon December 7, 2021 at 7:10 am
Comet Bio, a manufacturer of healthy and sustainable ingredients, announced today an investment with RE Energy to build a dedicated manufacturing facility in Denmark. RE Energy, a REE Holding company, ...
- Gridtential Partners with India Battery Maker Luminous Power Technologies to Provide Affordable Residential Poweron December 7, 2021 at 6:29 am
Luminous Power Technologies — a subsidiary of Schneider Electric — today announced a formal evaluation agreement with Gridtential Energy, the inventor of Silicon Joule® bipolar battery technology. The ...
- Technology and innovation set for boost as EU neighbours sign up to Horizon Europeon December 7, 2021 at 3:17 am
Start-ups and researchers in several non-EU member states in emerging Europe will be able to tap Horizon Europe's 95 billion euros budget under the same conditions as entities from within the EU.
- Global Commercial Aviation Sustainable Technology 2021 Report - Deploying SAFs to Reduce Life Cycle Emissions Presents Opportunities - ResearchAndMarkon December 7, 2021 at 12:45 am
The "Growth Opportunities for Sustainable Technology in Global Commercial Aviation" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The COVID-19 pandemic forced lockdowns and border ...
- AKKA to Contribute to the Development of Solutions for Energy Efficient Buildings and Sustainable Green Neighborhoodson December 6, 2021 at 2:53 pm
AKKA Technologies (Paris:AKA) (BSE:AKA) (ISIN:FR0004180537) alongside a European multidisciplinary consortium of forty-seven partners ...
- Kontrol Technologies Advances Net Zero Building Infrastructure with Launch of SmartPower® Energy as a Serviceon December 6, 2021 at 8:43 am
Kontrol Technologies Corp. ( NEO:KNR) ( OTCQB:KNRLF) ( FSE:1K8) (" Kontrol " or the " Company "), a leader in smart building technologies, is advancing net zero building infrastructure with the launch ...
via Bing News