A James Cook University scientist is part of an international team that’s used new ‘big data’ analysis to achieve a major advance in understanding neurological disorders such as Epilepsy, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.
Dr Ashley Waardenberg, a Theme Leader from JCU’s Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology, said scientists from JCU, The Children’s Medical Research Institute, Sydney, University of Southern Denmark and Bonn University (Germany) looked at how neurons in the brain communicated with each other.
“We studied the synapse – the communication hotspot between neurons – which is a place where neurological disorders and diseases can interfere with the brain’s normal functions,” said Dr Waardenberg.
“We aimed to use new methods for mapping the protein pathways that neurons use to communicate with each other (neurotransmission) and tried to see if we could identify patterns of activity related to memory.”
“A key part of the project that I led was to develop new computational methods to assess the very large amount of data that we collected. This led to the discovery of the major proteins responsible for the changes observed in the neurons,” said Dr Waardenberg.
He said the discoveries open up many new avenues for studying the protein pathways underlying neurotransmission and how they might be linked to neurological diseases and disorders.
Dr Waardenberg said the breakthrough demonstrates how new computational methods are needed to develop insights from ‘big data’.
He said the team of scientists is releasing the paper detailing the computational methods and the thousands of new proteins sites identified as a resource to the scientific community.
“We hope that this resource will help our future understanding of neuron signaling and memory. The discovery has very important implications for understanding the mechanisms of neurotransmission and neurological disorders,” he said.
Dr Waardenberg is now aiming to establish these new methods at JCU and continue to develop new computational methods for tackling tropical diseases such as malaria.
Learn more: Big data takes aim at a big human problem
The Latest on: Big data
via Google News
The Latest on: Big data
- Monad emerges from stealth with $17M to solve the cybersecurity big data problemon August 26, 2021 at 6:00 am
Cloud security startup Monad, which offers a platform for extracting and connecting data from various security tools, has launched from stealth with $17 million in Series A funding led by Index ...
- Big Data Cooks Up Pig's Blood Pizzaon August 25, 2021 at 8:28 am
Big data turns pig’s blood and century eggs into pizza toppings at Pizza Hut Taiwan. And it's a smash hit, reports @betty_hou_1108 (Source: Quicktake) ...
- North America Big Data and Business Analytics Market Is Expected to Reach $169.91 Billion by 2028: Says AMRon August 24, 2021 at 11:48 pm
Increase in adoption of big data analytics software by multiple organizations, rise in demand for cloud-based big data analytics software among SMEs, and numerous benefits provided by big data and ...
- 3 Funds to Pick as Big Data Adoption Gains Tractionon August 24, 2021 at 7:21 am
As computing power continues to surge, the enormous pile of data from which valuable information can be filtered also continues to grow. Clearly, in the past years, the advancement in technology and ...
- Get training in programming, big data, digital marketing and more at your own paceon August 20, 2021 at 3:00 am
Now you can train at your own pace for a highly paid, in-demand tech job without taking time away from your current job or going into debt.
- Global Big Data & Machine Learning in Telecom Market 2021 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2026on August 18, 2021 at 7:05 am
Pages Report] Check for Discount on Global Big Data & Machine Learning in Telecom Market 2021 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2026 report by Global Info Research. The Big Data & ...
- Big Data Analytics in Retail Market Overview Highlighting Major Drivers, Trends, Growth Rate and Demand Report 2020- 2027on August 18, 2021 at 2:59 am
The report titled “Global Big Data Analytics in Retail Market” provides the reader with a panoramic view of the Big Data Analytics in Retail industry while estimating the overall size and the size and ...
- Pepperdata Introduces Observability and Optimization for GPUs Running Big Data Appson August 17, 2021 at 5:54 am
Pepperdata, the leader in big data performance management, today announced that the Pepperdata product portfolio now includes the ability to monitor Graphics Processing Units (GPUs) running big data ...
- Global Spending on Big Data and Analytics Solutions Will Reach $215.7 Billion in 2021, According to a New IDC Spending Guideon August 17, 2021 at 5:30 am
Worldwide spending on big data and business analytics (BDA) solutions is forecast to reach $215.7 billion this year, according to IDC.
- Big Data Analytics in Retail Market Revenue Report 2021 to 2026 Including Sales, Value, and Growth Forecast Analysison August 17, 2021 at 4:32 am
Aug 17, 2021 (The Expresswire) -- "Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry" “Big Data Analytics in Retail ...
via Bing News