BYU researchers unfold new class of mechanical devices
In a paper published today in Science Robotics, engineers at Brigham Young University detail new technology that allows them to build complex mechanisms into the exterior of a structure without taking up any actual space below the surface.
This new class of mechanisms, called “developable mechanisms,” get their name from developable surfaces, or materials that can take on 3-D shapes from flat conformations without tearing or stretching, like a sheet of paper or metal. They reside in a curved surface (like, say, the arms of Iron Man’s suit) and can transform or morph when deployed to serve unique functions. When not in use, they can fold back into the surface of the structure seamlessly.
“These new discoveries make it possible to build complex machines that integrate with surfaces to be very compact, but can deploy and do complex tasks,” said researcher Larry Howell, professor of mechanical engineering at BYU. “It opens up a whole new world of potential devices that have more functions, but are still very compact.”
Making hyper-compact mechanisms is something increasingly important as manufacturers across medical, space and military industries are constantly working to get more complex functionality in less space. Potential applications of developable mechanisms include:
- Medical: Surgical instruments that can both cut materials and deploy lights simultaneously during minimally-invasive surgery
- Vehicles and airplanes: Storage components that could deploy from the inner surface of the fuselage and be completely out of the way when not in use
- Military: Quad-rotor drones that have adjustable wing spans for fitting in tight spaces
- Space: Wheels that could deploy claws for rock crawling, which could be especially useful to an interplanetary rover.
This new class of mechanical structures evolved from Howell and colleague Spencer Magleby’s work on origami-based engineering, done in collaboration with origami artist Robert Lang. From solar arrays for NASA to bulletproof barriers for police officers, their work has generated national and international coverage. As the group of researchers moved to curved origami principles, the mathematics revealed a new way of doing more complex machines.
“Origami was a stepping stone to this,” Magleby said. “The art of Origami has inspired us to do things that don’t even look like Origami, yet it is the core of much of this new engineering.”
The new line of research is sponsored by the National Science Foundation and includes researchers at BYU, the University of Southern Indiana and Lang Origami.
“It’s pretty cool to accomplish things that have merely been science fiction in the past,” Howell said. “These are discoveries that will enable us to do things that no one has ever been able to do before. And we hope that other engineers, as they build on these discoveries, will apply them in ways that will help make the world a better place.
The Latest on: Developable mechanisms
via Google News
The Latest on: Developable mechanisms
- Affordable Housing: Familiar Problem, New Challengeson February 26, 2021 at 12:34 pm
1983—The New Jersey Supreme Court issues opinion in Mount Laurel II case, affirming the rulings in Mount Laurel I and providing detailed mechanisms ... with no available developable land or ...
- City now eyeing residential redevelopment for long-vacant former Trane Plant 6 siteon February 25, 2021 at 2:07 pm
City staff are currently evaluating an application from the developers to access tax incremental funding, or TIF, which is a mechanism cities ... just east of the developable site, to the marsh ...
- Sobha Ltd.on February 15, 2021 at 3:59 pm
The Company currently has 40 ongoing residential projects aggregating to 41.20 million square feet of developable area ... to the internal control mechanism of the Company and supplements the ...
- Miura-ori enabled stretchable circuit boardson February 15, 2021 at 2:53 am
The benefits of developable, flat-foldable ... Ideally, rigid-foldable origami can realize a development mechanism even if the facets are all rigid panels 31. It is a vital feature for the ...
- Anant Raj Ltd.on February 11, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Your Company had developed a IT SEZ with developable area of 0.6 mn ... Your Company has established a "Vigil Mechanism" for its Employees and Directors, enabling them to report any concerns ...
- JEA will meet with JaxPort about St. Johns River Power Park site but keep options openon January 29, 2021 at 2:09 am
The electric plant with its twin cooling stations sat in the midst of about 2,000 acres of land that includes about 1,100 acres of developable ... get the right funding mechanisms in place." ...
- TDEC Regulation Will Impose Unnecessary Costs On Landowners And Homeownerson January 20, 2021 at 4:00 pm
as current zoning and development codes don’t provide the correct mechanisms to retain an inch of water. This will also take away developable land that will now be reserved for reservation basins.
- PA adds open space rules to its Ta' Qali rezoning planson September 7, 2020 at 11:31 am
Moreover, developers will also have to cover the expenses to fund the construction of the necessary road and junction improvements through a mechanism ... of new gross developable floorspace ...
- Ħal Ferħ to become 'upmarket low-rise mixed development'on May 11, 2020 at 11:29 pm
The emphyteutical deed of 2009 cites tourism as a use for the site but included a mechanism for the conversion ... While it specifies that the gross developable floor space will not increase ...
- BYU engineers use origami to make discovery even Iron Man would approve ofon February 20, 2019 at 1:49 pm
The group of researchers recently published a paper in Science Robotics that details a new technology called “developable mechanisms on developable surfaces.” In layman’s terms, that means ...
via Bing News