You know that dizzy feeling you get when, after lying down for an extended period, you stand up a little too quickly?
That feeling is caused by a sudden reduction of blood flow to the brain, a reduction of around 30 percent. Now imagine living every minute of every day with that level of decreased blood flow.
People with Alzheimer’s disease don’t have to imagine it. The existence of cerebral blood flow reduction in Alzheimer’s patients has been known for decades, but the exact correlation to impaired cognitive function is less understood.
“People probably adapt to the decreased blood flow, so that they don’t feel dizzy all of the time, but there’s clear evidence that it impacts cognitive function,” said Chris Schaffer, associate professor in the Meinig School of Biomedical Engineering.
The Latest on: Alzheimer’s
via Google News
The Latest on: Alzheimer’s
- Aduhelm, the $56K a Year Alzheimer's Drug, Gets Revision to Drug Labelon July 8, 2021 at 9:56 am
"It was pretty troubling that the previous label was so broad and included groups of patients in whom the drug had never been tested," one doctor said.
- FDA, facing intense criticism, narrows use of controversial Alzheimer’s drug to patients with early-stage diseaseon July 8, 2021 at 9:40 am
The revised label clarifies that the drug, called Aduhelm, is intended for patients with early-stage disease — the population that participated in clinical trials of the drug.
- FDA Curbs Scope of Biogen Alzheimer’s Drug Weeks After Furoron July 8, 2021 at 9:35 am
Regulators approved an updated label for Biogen Inc.’s controversial Alzheimer’s disease drug Aduhelm, reining in what some doctors had said was an overly broad approval for patients who hadn’t been ...
- FDA Narrows Suggested Uses for New Alzheimer’s Drugon July 8, 2021 at 8:55 am
The agency recommended Aduhelm be prescribed only for patients in early stages of the disease, a move that could reduce the cost to the federal Medicare program.
- U.S. FDA updates label for Biogen's Alzheimer's drug to specify disease stageon July 8, 2021 at 8:44 am
Biogen Inc (BIIB.O) said on Thursday the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved changes to the product information for its Alzheimer's disease drug to specify that it has not been studied in ...
- FDA trims use of contentious Alzheimer’s drug amid backlashon July 8, 2021 at 8:42 am
U.S. health regulators on Thursday approved new prescribing instructions that are likely to limit use of a controversial new Alzheimer’s drug. The Food and Drug Administration said the change is ...
- Biogen Curbs Scope of Alzheimer’s Drug Weeks After FDA Furoron July 8, 2021 at 7:50 am
Biogen Inc. has updated the label for its new Alzheimer’s drug Aduhelm, limiting its use to patients with mild cognitive impairment or the mild dementia stage of the disease after doctors expressed ...
- FDA narrows label for Biogen’s Alzheimer’s drugon July 8, 2021 at 7:33 am
PART NO USE UK Digital: PART NO USE USE UK~**A drug hailed as a possible breakthrough in treating Alzheimer's will now be available to fewer people. Pharmaceutical giant Biogen said on Thursday it is ...
- U.S. FDA narrows use of Biogen Alzheimer's drug; shares riseon July 8, 2021 at 4:46 am
The new label for Biogen's Aduhelm recommends that the treatment be used only for Alzheimer's patients with mild cognitive impairment or mild dementia, the group that was tested in clinical trials.
- Breaking down the costs of Biogen's billion-dollar Alzheimer's drugon July 7, 2021 at 9:23 pm
CNBC's Meg Tirrell reports on the controversy over Biogen's Alzheimer's drug, which costs an average of $56,000 per year.
via Bing News