A major hurdle to creating a metal-free, 100-percent polymer battery is finding a polymer that is electrochemically active
Dr. Jodie L. Lutkenhaus, associate professor, holder of the William and Ruth Neely Faculty Fellowship and recently named Presidential Impact Fellow in the Artie McFerrin Department of Chemical Engineering at Texas A&M University, just published a paper in Nature Materials. The findings presented in this paper represent a significant step toward Lutkenhaus’s ultimate goal: the creation of a battery made entirely of polymers.
A major hurdle to creating a metal-free, 100-percent polymer battery is finding a polymer that is electrochemically active — meaning it has to be able to store and exchange electrons. Lutkenhaus, along with a team of researchers including doctoral candidate Shaoyang Wang, think that the organic radical polymers will do the trick. Owing to their chemical structure, organic radical polymers are very stable and reactive. As shown in the image below, organic radical polymers have a single electron on the radical group. This unpaired electron allows rapid charge transfer in these polymers during redox reactions.
According to Lutkenhaus, the main appeal of this class of polymer lies in the speed of the reaction. “These polymers are very promising for batteries because they can charge and discharge way faster than any common battery in a phone or similar device. This rapid charging could dramatically change the way electric vehicles are used today.”
The redox-active properties of organic radical polymers have been known for some time. However, prior to this research the exact mechanism by which electrons and ions are transported through the polymer had not been described. In part, the scale and speed at which these reactions take place make it difficult to capture reliable data. However, Lutkenhaus and her team were able to capture incredibly detailed measurements using a specialized device, an electrochemical quartz crystal microbalance with dissipation monitoring (EQCM-D).
The Latest on: Polymer battery
via Google News
The Latest on: Polymer battery
- Shape Memory Material Market Size Forecast to Reach $23.3 Billion by 2026on April 12, 2021 at 2:40 pm
Polymer Type materials such as Polytetrafluoroethylene ... and better performance vehicles have increased the uses of Shape Memory Material (SMMs) in vehicle engines, battery modules, and in safety ...
- Orbia Ventures Invests in Battery Resourcers to Advance Battery Circularityon April 12, 2021 at 12:12 pm
polymer solutions and data communications verticals, announced today its fourth venture capital investment through Orbia Ventures. Orbia led a $20 million investor syndicate in backing Battery ...
- Battery Separators Market Size to Reach USD 16810 Million by 2026 at CAGR 12.7% - Valuates Reportson April 12, 2021 at 9:30 am
BANGALORE, India, April 12, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- The Battery Separators Market is Segmented by Type (Polymer, Ceramics, Others), by Application (LiB Battery, Lead-Acid Battery, Others). The report ...
- New Type of Battery Created That Can Charge 10x Faster Than Lithium-Ion Batterieson April 10, 2021 at 8:34 am
Moreover, it is safer in terms of potential fire hazards and has a lower environmental impact. It is difficult to imagine our daily life without lithium-ion batteries. They dominate the small format ...
- New Type of Battery Can Charge 10x Faster Than Lithium-Ion Modelson April 9, 2021 at 9:52 pm
Rechargeable lithium-ion batteries are basically everywhere, powering everything from smartphones to notebooks, earbuds to gaming devices, and so much more.
- Nickel-salen for a battery that charges in 10 secondson April 8, 2021 at 8:22 am
Scientists in Russia introduce a promising new material for battery energy storage, the product of more than three years of research. Incorporating a nickel-salen polymer into the cathode, the group ...
- New type of battery charges ten times faster than lithium-ionon April 7, 2021 at 5:43 am
Scientists have developed a new type of battery that can charge ten times faster than a typical lithium-ion battery.
- Former Nissan EV developer to launch plastic battery this yearon April 6, 2021 at 8:05 pm
APB, which stands for "all polymer battery", uses special polymers that can conduct electricity. Unlike most lithium-ion batteries, all its parts are made of plastics. Lithium-ion batteries are ...
- A new type of battery that can charge ten times faster than a lithium-ion batteryon April 6, 2021 at 10:29 am
It is difficult to imagine our daily life without lithium-ion batteries. They dominate the small format battery market for portable electronic devices, and are also commonly used in electric vehicles.
- HP Chromebook 11a With Touch Display, 16-Hour Battery Life Launched in India: Priced at Rs 21,999on April 5, 2021 at 11:36 pm
The HP Chromebook 11a has debuted in India as an affordable notebook for students. The budget laptop comes pre-loaded with apps that students will require the most amid the COVID-19 pandemic to ...
via Bing News