A major hurdle to creating a metal-free, 100-percent polymer battery is finding a polymer that is electrochemically active
Dr. Jodie L. Lutkenhaus, associate professor, holder of the William and Ruth Neely Faculty Fellowship and recently named Presidential Impact Fellow in the Artie McFerrin Department of Chemical Engineering at Texas A&M University, just published a paper in Nature Materials. The findings presented in this paper represent a significant step toward Lutkenhaus’s ultimate goal: the creation of a battery made entirely of polymers.
A major hurdle to creating a metal-free, 100-percent polymer battery is finding a polymer that is electrochemically active — meaning it has to be able to store and exchange electrons. Lutkenhaus, along with a team of researchers including doctoral candidate Shaoyang Wang, think that the organic radical polymers will do the trick. Owing to their chemical structure, organic radical polymers are very stable and reactive. As shown in the image below, organic radical polymers have a single electron on the radical group. This unpaired electron allows rapid charge transfer in these polymers during redox reactions.
According to Lutkenhaus, the main appeal of this class of polymer lies in the speed of the reaction. “These polymers are very promising for batteries because they can charge and discharge way faster than any common battery in a phone or similar device. This rapid charging could dramatically change the way electric vehicles are used today.”
The redox-active properties of organic radical polymers have been known for some time. However, prior to this research the exact mechanism by which electrons and ions are transported through the polymer had not been described. In part, the scale and speed at which these reactions take place make it difficult to capture reliable data. However, Lutkenhaus and her team were able to capture incredibly detailed measurements using a specialized device, an electrochemical quartz crystal microbalance with dissipation monitoring (EQCM-D).
The Latest on: Polymer battery
via Google News
The Latest on: Polymer battery
- Battery Resourcers Raises $70M in Series B Fundingon October 11, 2021 at 12:23 pm
Battery Resourcers, a Worcester, MA-based lithium-ion battery recycler and manufacturer, raised $70M in Series B funding ...
- Orbia Ventures, Koura Lead $70M Mid-Round Funding Investment in Battery Resourcers and Engage in New Battery Circularity Initiativeson October 11, 2021 at 9:54 am
Orbia, Koura lead new funding, development projects to support Battery Resourcers in expanding its global operations in lithium-ion battery recycling.
- Huawei to launch FreeBuds 4i with long battery for Rs 8K-9K in Indiaon October 11, 2021 at 4:31 am
Huawei is set to bring an affordable true-wireless stereo (TWS) earbuds FreeBuds 4i in India this Diwali in the price range of Rs 8,000-Rs 9,000.
- Intelligent Lithium Battery Management System BMSon October 10, 2021 at 8:25 pm
The battery management system BMS can coordinate the tolerance, pressure difference, and internal resistance difference among the cells of the smart lithium battery to maximize the efficiency of the ...
- Power Banks – What Impact They Have On Your Phone’s Batteryon October 10, 2021 at 7:15 pm
A power bank can be a lifesaver for people with a busy schedule. A power bank can be described as a portable charger. They are mostly used to charge mobile phones, they can also be used to charge ...
- Sicona to enter European battery market through proposed Joint Venture with Leading Edge Materials in Swedenon October 10, 2021 at 6:50 pm
Sicona Battery Technologies Pty Ltd ("Sicona"), a groundbreaking battery materials technology company, has executed a non-binding heads ...
- This New Battery Inspired By Scales Can Bend and Stretch Like A Snakeon October 2, 2021 at 6:17 am
The Korean Institute of Machinery and Materials (KIMM) has developed a battery that opens up some interesting possibilities in energy storage. Researchers developed this battery with high safety and ...
- Cramer loves this Ford and BMW-backed battery maker set to go public as an electric vehicle playon October 1, 2021 at 3:34 pm
The solid-state battery manufacturer counts Ford and BMW among its investors and makes technology that Cramer said could change the game for electric vehicle makers. CNBC’s Jim Cramer is bullish on ...
- S. Korean scientists develop a flexible battery that stretches like a snakeon September 29, 2021 at 6:16 pm
The Korea Institute of Machinery and Materials had developed a flexible battery that bends and stretches like a snake. The research team noted that with its ability to move flexibly even in narrow ...
- Global Ternary Polymer Lithium Battery Market 2021 Booming Strategies of Top Companies, Progression Status and Business Trends to 2027on September 29, 2021 at 2:15 pm
The latest research document published through MarketQuest.biz, the Global Ternary Polymer Lithium Battery Market ...
via Bing News