Chemists at the University of Göttingen develop resource-saving process
For the production of drugs, pesticides and smartphone displays, most of the processes are cost-intensive and generate a large amount of waste. Scientists at the University of Göttingen have now succeeded in developing a resource-saving “green” alternative. The results were published in Nature Catalysis.
The environmentally friendly strategy developed by Professor Lutz Ackermann and his team at the Institute of Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry at the University of Göttingen offers major advantages over existing methods. The naturally occurring non-toxic metal manganese is employed instead of noble transition metals such as palladium or platinum. Traditionally, organic solvents, which are highly flammable and toxic, were also used. In contrast, the new approach makes use of environmentally-friendly water. This is possible because a manganese-carbon bond is formed in the reaction. This bond is considerably more stable than comparable bonds between carbon and the highly reactive metals lithium or magnesium.
“The new process makes it possible to cleave a single strong carbon-carbon bond, of which organic compounds contain a large number, and convert it into the desired product,” says Ackermann. In order to achieve the results, experimental laboratory investigations were combined with computer-aided calculations. “This allowed us to gain detailed insight into the exact mode of action of the catalyst. And this in turn enables us to use the process to manufacture other materials.”
Learn more: The new green alternative for drug production
The Latest on: Drug production
via Google News
The Latest on: Drug production
- TV: ‘Succession’ returns, ‘Dopesick’ takes on prescription drug crisison October 15, 2021 at 2:06 am
The pandemic knocked “Succession” off its production schedule but not its game. Two years after its sophomore season concluded, the HBO drama returns 9 p.m. Sunday with the wealthy, dysfunctional ...
- Publication of Clinical Trials Supporting Successful New Drug Applications: A Literature Analysison October 14, 2021 at 10:10 pm
Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approves new drugs based on sponsor-submitted clinical trials. The publication status of these trials in the medical literature and factors associated with ...
- Spokane man with lengthy criminal drug history sentenced to 12 years in federal prison on meth chargeon October 14, 2021 at 7:02 pm
A 63-year-old Spokane man identified by police as a major supplier of methamphetamine was sentenced to 12 years in federal prison on Thursday. Helmut Ewe Borchert pleaded guilty in July to a single ...
- Bayer, CureVac terminate COVID-19 shot production partnershipon October 14, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Bayer AG has terminated a vaccine manufacturing partnership under which it would have helped produce CureVac's COVID-19 shot, a spokesperson for Bayer told a German newspaper.
- Mundra drug haul: Iran slams Adani Ports ban as unprofessionalon October 14, 2021 at 3:46 pm
Tehran has conveyed its displeasure to New Delhi, calling the banning of its consignments as an unprofessional and imbalanced move .
- Global Peptide Therapeutics Marketplace 2021-2026: Key Applications, Drug Types, Types of Manufacturing, Synthesis Technologies, Regions & Players - Ron October 14, 2021 at 1:46 am
The "Peptide Therapeutics Market by Application, Drug Type, Type of Manufacturing, Synthesis Technology, Solid Phase Peptide Synthesis, and Hybrid Technology) and Geography - Global Forecast up to ...
- Global Constrained Peptide Drugs Market: Focus on Peptide Type, Product, and Country Analysis - Analysis and Forecast, 2023-2031on October 14, 2021 at 12:45 am
Global Constrained Peptide Drugs Market to Reach $10,367. 2 Million by 2031. Market Report Coverage - Constrained Peptide Drugs Market Segmentation.New York, Oct. 14, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- ...
- Colorectal Cancer Drugs Market 2021 Production, Revenue, Price and Gross Margin Analysis with Forecasts to 2027on October 11, 2021 at 3:26 am
Colorectal Cancer Drugs Market 2021 present an abstract of the global market covers market Overview and Scope, Segment ...
- Solifenacin Succinate Drug Market Global Forecasted Demand Analysis 2021-2027: Report Covers Regional Production and Supplyon October 8, 2021 at 3:19 am
Oct 08, 2021 (The Expresswire) -- "Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry" The report analyse the growth rate of ...
- TETFund to support four agencies on drug productionon October 5, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Kolawole Published 6 October 2021The Tertiary Education Trust Fund on Wednesday said it would be providing “mega research support” to four public agencies, led by the National Institute for ...
via Bing News