Implantable device curbs seizures and improves cognition in epileptic rats
A protein-secreting device implanted into the hippocampus of epileptic rats reduces seizures by 93 percent in three months, finds preclinical research published in JNeurosci. These results support ongoing development of this technology and its potential translation into a new treatment for epilepsy.
Motivated by an unmet need for effective and well-tolerated epilepsy therapies, Giovanna Paolone and colleagues of the University of Ferrara, Italy and of Gloriana Therapeutics, Inc. (Providence, RI) investigated the effects of the Gloriana targeted cellular delivery system for glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) — a protein recent research suggests may help suppress epileptic activity.
In addition to quickly and progressively reducing seizures in male rats — by 75 percent within two weeks — the researchers found their device improved rats’ anxiety-like symptoms and their performance on an object recognition task, indicating improvement in cognition.
The treatment also corrected abnormalities in brain anatomy associated with epilepsy. These effects persisted even after the device was removed, indicating this approach may modify the disease progression.
The Latest on: Epilepsy treatment
[google_news title=”” keyword=”epilepsy treatment” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Epilepsy treatment
- New epilepsy monitoring unit at UC Davis specializes in diagnosing and treating seizureson February 21, 2024 at 5:59 pm
DAVIS - Three million people in the United States suffer from epilepsy and about 20,000 of them in Northern ... A new state-of-the-art facility specializes in diagnosing and guiding treatment for ...
- Doctor's told dad his seizures were 'just epilepsy' – and missed terminal brain tumouron February 21, 2024 at 4:33 am
Steve Ackroyd, 48, who worked on Netflix's Sex Education, experienced his first seizure on June 19, 2022. Months went by before he was eventually diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumour ...
- Epilepsy Treatment Drugs Market to hit USD 12.3 Bn by 2032, says Global Market Insights Incon February 19, 2024 at 5:30 pm
Epilepsy treatment industry is projected to witness a CAGR of 4.6% during the period 2024-2032. This growth can be attributed to the increasing demand for novel treatment for epilepsy.Selbyville, ...
- How Indian Women With Epilepsy Struggle Due to Treatment Gapon February 18, 2024 at 2:51 am
Discover the hidden struggles that women with epilepsy in India face. This suggests the urgent need for tailored care.
- Bust the stigma of epilepsy with knowledgeon February 16, 2024 at 7:40 pm
Epilepsy is one of the most common long-term neurological conditions in the world, yet it remains largely misunderstood by many. For people with this often-invisible burden, the stigma surrounding ...
- Ketogenic diet boosts brain's natural calm to combat epilepsyon February 15, 2024 at 5:01 pm
A study in Cell Discovery shows the ketogenic diet increases brain GABA levels and the GABA/glutamate ratio through β-hydroxybutyric acid, offering a potential mechanism for its effectiveness in ...
- How PCPs Can Contribute to Epilepsy Careon February 15, 2024 at 4:53 am
With a nationwide shortage of neurologists, primary care providers must understand the basics of seizure treatment and promote self-management skills in their patients with epilepsy.
- Patient returns to Baptist Hospital as a teammate 20 years after receiving treatment for epilepsyon February 13, 2024 at 8:00 pm
Twenty years after surgery to remove part of her brain to control seizures, Jester returned to the hospital as a certified nursing assistant (CNA) in the emergency department (ED).
- Nyberg – Epilepsy medication could help those with osteoarthritison February 12, 2024 at 2:58 pm
Advancements in medicine could be a gamechanger for those with osteoarthritis. A new study found that common epilepsy medications can protect against pain and ...
- International Epilepsy Day 2024: What Triggers Epileptic Seizures? Check Detailed Treatment Processon February 12, 2024 at 5:16 am
In addition to the medical treatment, making healthier life choices and manage stress, limit alcohol and avoid smoking cigarettes. Read expert insights on how epileptic seizures are triggered, scroll ...
via Bing News