In a University of California, Irvine-led study, researchers found evidence that fasting affects circadian clocks in the liver and skeletal muscle, causing them to rewire their metabolism, which can ultimately lead to improved health and protection against aging-associated diseases.
The study was published recently in Cell Reports.
The circadian clock operates within the body and its organs as intrinsic time-keeping machinery to preserve homeostasis in response to the changing environment. And, while food is known to influence clocks in peripheral tissues, it was unclear, until now, how the lack of food influences clock function and ultimately affects the body.
“We discovered fasting influences the circadian clock and fasting-driven cellular responses, which together work to achieve fasting-specific temporal gene regulation,” said lead author Paolo Sassone-Corsi, Donald Bren Professor of Biological Chemistry at UCI’s School of Medicine. “Skeletal muscle, for example, appears to be twice as responsive to fasting as the liver.”
The research was conducted using mice, which were subjected to 24-hour periods of fasting. While fasting, researchers noted the mice exhibited a reduction in oxygen consumption (VO2), respiratory exchange ratio (RER), and energy expenditure, all of which were completely abolished by refeeding, which parallels results observed in humans.
“The reorganization of gene regulation by fasting could prime the genome to a more permissive state to anticipate upcoming food intake and thereby drive a new rhythmic cycle of gene expression. In other words, fasting is able to essentially reprogram a variety of cellular responses. Therefore, optimal fasting in a timed manner would be strategic to positively affect cellular functions and ultimately benefitting health and protecting against aging-associated diseases.”
This study opens new avenues of investigation that could ultimately lead to the development of nutritional strategies to improve health in humans.
Sassone-Corsi first showed the circadian rhythm-metabolism link some 10 years ago, identifying the metabolic pathways through which circadian proteins sense energy levels in cells.
The Latest on: Fasting
via Google News
The Latest on: Fasting
- Punjab permits delivery of food, drink items from outside for fasting to jail inmates during Ramdaanon April 13, 2021 at 11:43 am
Considering the importance of fasting during the holy month of Ramadan, Punjab Jail Minister Sukhjinder Singh Randhawa on Tuesday issued special instructions for the convenience of the prisoners from ...
- Ramadan fasting isn’t about hunger. It’s about living mindfully.on April 13, 2021 at 10:48 am
Then there is shock at how intense the requirement of fasting is: “Wait, so you fast all the way from before sunrise to sunset?” “You can’t even drink water?” “I could never do that.” ...
- When does Ramadan 2021 start? Dates, UK timetable, when Eid al-Fitr falls and meaning behind fastingon April 13, 2021 at 8:37 am
Fasting at Ramadan is one of the five pillars of Islam – the fundamental rules that all Muslims follow – along with the Shahadah (declaration of faith), Salat (prayer), Zakat (charity) and the Hajj ...
- Ramadan 2021: Should you take the COVID-19 vaccine while fasting?on April 13, 2021 at 8:37 am
This will be the second year in a row Canadians will observe Ramadan under strict circumstances due to COVID-19. While fasting from sunrise to sunset is an important part of Ramadan, Muslims also pray ...
- Muslim Leaders Encourage Getting Vaccinated During Ramadan, Despite Fasting Requirementson April 13, 2021 at 6:39 am
At an event last night, state leaders and Muslim community activists encouraged people not to put off getting vaccinated because of fasting requirements.
- Ramadan 2021 Calendar, Fasting and Prayer Times For the Holy Monthon April 13, 2021 at 5:12 am
In addition to fasting, prayer and reflection, Muslims are also encouraged to read the entire Koran during Ramadan.
- Green Bay's Somali Muslim community encouraged to get COVID-19 vaccine before Ramadan fastingon April 12, 2021 at 2:10 pm
GREEN BAY - A Green Bay nonprofit teamed up with Brown County public health officials Sunday to vaccinate Somali Muslim residents against COVID-19 before they begin a month of fasting for Ramadan. The ...
- Ramadan 2021: A guide for Muslims fasting during the pandemicon April 12, 2021 at 12:09 pm
This week, Muslims across the United States will begin observing another pandemic Ramadan. But this year's holy month -- marked by fasting, prayer, reflection and community -- will be different than ...
- When Does Ramadan, the Islamic Holy Month of Fasting and Prayer, Take Place in 2021?on April 12, 2021 at 6:11 am
Ramadan, the holy month of fasting and prayer for Muslims that lasts for 30 days, begins on April 12 in 2021. The ninth month of the Islamic calendar ends on May 11 this year. The Muslim calendar ...
- Ramadan Quotes 2021 In English: 10 Sayings About Fasting To Shareon April 12, 2021 at 2:50 am
This meal is known as "suhur" or "sehri." The fast is broken at sunset and the meal is known as "iftar." Below are 10 quotes about fasting to share with your friends and family, courtesy Brainy Quote ...
via Bing News