Research from North Carolina State University has demonstrated a new technique that converts carbon fibers and nanotubes into diamond fibers at ambient temperature and pressure in air using a pulsed laser method.
The conversion method involves melting the carbon using nanosecond laser pulses and then quenching, or rapidly cooling, the material.
These diamond fibers could find uses in nanoscale devices with functions ranging from quantum computing, sensing and communication to diamond brushes and field-emission displays. The method can also be used to create diamond-seeded carbon fibers that can be used to grow larger diamond structures using hot-filament chemical vapor deposition and plasma-enhanced chemical vapor deposition techniques. These larger diamond structures could find uses as tool coatings for oil and gas exploration as well as deep-sea drilling, and for diamond jewelry.
Previous methods used to convert non-diamond carbon to diamond have involved using extreme heat and pressure at great expense with a limited yield. Melting the carbon with laser pulses and then undercooling it with a substrate made of sapphire, glass or a plastic polymer are the two keys to the discovery, said Dr. Jagdish Narayan, John C. Fan Distinguished Chair Professor in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at NC State and corresponding author of a paper describing the work.
“Without undercooling, you cannot convert carbon into diamond this way,” Narayan said.
When heated, carbon normally goes from a solid state to a gas. Using a substrate restricts heat flow from the laser pulse enough that the carbon does not change phases.
The laser, similar to those used for Lasik eye surgery, is used for only 100 nanoseconds and heats the carbon to a temperature of 4,000 Kelvin, about 3,727 degrees Celsius.
NC State has filed for a patent licensing the technology.
The Latest on: Diamond fibers
via Google News
The Latest on: Diamond fibers
- Turkish Towel – The Best Ever Towels of 2021on August 22, 2021 at 11:38 am
At the time, I wondered if a thin towel could possibly be absorbent. But I was intrigued. I asked if a Turkish towel would do the job drying my skin after a shower or a swim in the pool. The seller, a ...
- Best base layers for women 2021: stay cosy and comfortable with thermal base layers for outdoor adventureson August 18, 2021 at 1:57 am
A thermal base layer is brilliant for keeping your temperature regulated as you adventure outside. Here are the best around This article contains affiliate links. We may earn a small commission on ...
- CVD and PVD Coating Diamond Market Size 2021 Report by Factors of Industry Share, Revenue by Key Players and Development Strategy till 2026on August 17, 2021 at 5:00 pm
The technology for CVD of pure diamond coatings on rotating cutting tools has developed rapidly in the past several years. In recent times, several advanced composite materials, for example, carbon ...
- SiC Fiber Market Competitive Landscape, Regional Outlook and Driving Factors Analysis 2028on August 16, 2021 at 4:26 am
The global SiC fiber market generated 0 38 billion in 2020 and is estimated to witness 1 47 billion by 2028 manifesting a CAGR of 18 6 from 2021 to 2028 The report provides a detailed analysis of ...
- 10 Healthy Breakfast Ideas for Type 2 Diabeteson August 14, 2021 at 2:46 pm
From bowls and wraps to egg dishes and even pancakes, here are 10 diabetic-friendly breakfast recipes. Also: diabetic-friendly breakfast cereals and general nutrition tips.
- Dopamine Denim and Wide Fits Trend at Project Las Vegason August 13, 2021 at 12:25 pm
Dopamine denim. Royal Revival and Alla Berman linked up to create a capsule collection centered on vintage denim. The line consi ...
- Worldwide Diamond Wire Industry to 2026 - Increasing Demand from Solar Photovoltaic Segmenton August 11, 2021 at 9:18 pm
The "Diamond Wire Market - Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, and Forecasts (2021 - 2026)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The market for Diamond Wire is expected to grow at ...
- Radius Global Infrastructure, Inc. (RADI) CEO William Berkman on Q2 2021 Results - Earnings Call Transcripton August 11, 2021 at 9:40 am
Q2 2021 Earnings Conference Call August 11, 2021, 8:30 AM ET Company Participants Jason Harbes - SVP, Investor Relations William Berkman ...
- ARKK Implosion Is On The Horizonon August 10, 2021 at 7:18 am
Dyed in the wool contrarian investor ... Julian Robertson "A diamond is a chunk of coal that is made good under pressure." I’ve been on top of the world, and the world has been on top of ...
- First drive review: 2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing sends off internal combustion in styleon August 10, 2021 at 6:00 am
Cadillac plans to switch to a mostly EV lineup by 2030, but in the meantime GM’s halo brand is building its most powerful car yet—the 2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing—complete with a manual transmission ...
via Bing News