Yale researchers have identified a drinkable cocktail of designer molecules that interferes with a crucial first step of Alzheimer’s and even restores memories in mice, they report Jan. 2 in the journal Cell Reports.
The binding of amyloid beta peptides to prion proteins triggers a cascade of devasting events in the progression of Alzheimer’s — accumulation of plaques, a destructive immune system response, and damage to synapses.
“We wanted to find molecules that might have a therapeutic effect on this network,” said senior author Stephen Strittmatter, the Vincent Coates Professor of Neurology, professor of neuroscience, and director of the Yale Alzheimer Disease Research Center.
Strittmatter and research scientist Erik Gunther screened tens of thousands of compounds looking for molecules that might interfere with the damaging prion protein interaction with amyloid beta. They found that an old antibiotic looked like a promising candidate but was only active after decomposing to form a polymer. Related small polymers retained the benefit and also managed to pass through the blood-brain barrier.
They then dissolved the optimized polymeric compound and fed it to mice engineered to have a condition that mimics Alzheimer’s. They found that synapses in the brains were repaired and mice recovered lost memory.
A collaborating team at Dartmouth University reported a positive response when they delivered the same cocktail to cells modeled to have Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, a devasting neurological condition caused by infection with misfolded prion protein.
The next step is to verify the compounds aren’t toxic in preparation for translation to clinical trials for Alzheimer’s disease.
The Latest on: Designer molecules
via Google News
The Latest on: Designer molecules
- Connected moments for quantum computingon January 12, 2021 at 7:05 pm
Quantum computers are exciting in part because they are being designed to show how the world is held together. This invisible "glue" is made of impossibly tiny particles and energy. And like all glue, ...
- AI-driven drug discovery collaboration to tackle neurological diseaseson January 12, 2021 at 8:18 am
Sosei Heptares and PharmEnable will harness artificial intelligence-enabled technology and advanced chemistry to explore neurological disease solutions.
- Sosei Heptares and PharmEnable Enter Technology Collaboration for AI-driven Drug Discovery against Challenging GPCR Targeton January 12, 2021 at 12:00 am
PRNewswire/ -- Sosei Group Corporation ("the Company") (TSE: 4565) and PharmEnable, a UK drug discovery company, announce they have entered a collaboration ...
- The Lithuanian start-up making synthetic protein design easieron January 11, 2021 at 10:05 pm
Vilnius-based start-up Biomatter Designs has raised 500,000 euros in new funding from Practica Capital, 70V, and a number of angel investors. The funds will be used by the company to further develop ...
- Cybin Partners with Kernel to Leverage its Breakthrough Neuroimaging Technology for Psychedelic Therapeuticson January 11, 2021 at 10:31 am
Cybin Inc. (NEO:CYBN) (“Cybin”), a life sciences company focused on psychedelic therapeutics, is excited to announce that it has entered into an agree ...
- A new approach to film atoms and molecules vibrating inside solidson January 11, 2021 at 10:20 am
Theoretical and experimental scientists have come together to watch solids vibrate. Atoms or molecules constitute everything around us. In many solids, like common salt or iron, they are neatly ...
- Lithuania’s Biomatter Designs raises €500k to develop AI for Generative Protein Designon January 11, 2021 at 5:20 am
Vilnius-born startup Biomatter Designs has raised €500,000 in seed funding to further develop the company’s protein design technology and product pipeline. Biomatter said proteins, when engineered to ...
- Designer Molecules for Fundamental-Symmetry Testson January 10, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Researchers design radioactive molecules that might have exceptional sensitivity to the symmetry violations explaining the matter-antimatter imbalance of the Universe.
- bp Tests AI Tools for Designing New Molecules and Materialson January 9, 2021 at 8:13 am
Kebotix, a technology platform company for new chemicals and materials, is revolutionizing how R&D is created at scale with reduced time and cost while simultaneously increasing success rates, ...
- ATP and Biolojic Design Launch Aulos Bioscience to Develop Highly Differentiated IL-2 Antibody Approach to Fighting Canceron January 8, 2021 at 5:00 am
ATP, a leading life sciences venture capital firm, and Biolojic Design, a biotechnology company that computationally designs ...
via Bing News