U of A chemists confirm importance of nano-sizing silicon to improve lithium ion batteries.
University of Alberta chemists have taken a critical step toward creating a new generation of silicon-based lithium ion batteries with 10 times the charge capacity of current cells.
“We wanted to test how different sizes of silicon nanoparticles could affect fracturing inside these batteries,” said Jillian Buriak, a U of A chemist and Canada Research Chair in Nanomaterials for Energy.
Silicon shows promise for building much higher-capacity batteries because it’s abundant and can absorb much more lithium than the graphite used in current lithium ion batteries. The problem is that silicon is prone to fracturing and breaking after numerous charge-and-discharge cycles, because it expands and contracts as it absorbs and releases lithium ions.
Existing research shows that shaping silicon into nano-scale particles, wires or tubes helps prevent it from breaking. What Buriak, fellow U of A chemist Jonathan Veinot and their team wanted to know was what size these structures needed to be to maximize the benefits of silicon while minimizing the drawbacks.
The researchers examined silicon nanoparticles of four different sizes, evenly dispersed within highly conductive graphene aerogels, made of carbon with nanoscopic pores, to compensate for silicon’s low conductivity. They found that the smallest particles—just three billionths of a metre in diameter—showed the best long-term stability after many charging and discharging cycles.
“As the particles get smaller, we found they are better able to manage the strain that occurs as the silicon ‘breathes’ upon alloying and dealloying with lithium, upon cycling,” explained Buriak.
The research has potential applications in “anything that relies upon energy storage using a battery,” said Veinot, who is the director of the ATUMS graduate student training program that partially supported the research.
“Imagine a car having the same size battery as a Tesla that could travel 10 times farther or you charge 10 times less frequently, or the battery is 10 times lighter.”
Veinot said the next steps are to develop a faster, less expensive way to create silicon nanoparticles to make them more accessible for industry and technology developers.
The Latest on: Lithium ion batteries
via Google News
The Latest on: Lithium ion batteries
- American Manganese Files National Phase Patent Applications for the RecycLiCo Lithium-ion Battery Recycling Processon December 3, 2021 at 1:26 am
Applications Filed into National Phase for Europe, South Korea, Canada, India, Australia, Japan, and China to Strengthen Patent PortfolioSURREY, BC / ACCESSWIRE / December 3, 2021 / American Manganese ...
- Sustainable electrochemical process could improve lithium-ion battery recyclingon December 2, 2021 at 10:03 pm
Spent lithium-ion batteries have metals that are hard to separate for recycling, but new tech uses electrochemistry to separate and recover the metals ...
- FSRI Releases Online Training for Lithium-Ion Battery ESSF Fireson December 2, 2021 at 8:08 am
The new “Fire Service Considerations with Lithium-Ion Battery ESS” online training course was made available by UL’s Fire Safety Research Institute.
- Battery design breakthrough could make electric cars safer, cheaper and more environmentally sustainableon December 2, 2021 at 8:01 am
Zinc-ion design addresses safety issues by being non-flammable and ‘aid the transition to a sustainable future’ ...
- American Battery Technology Company Confirms Attractive Sampling Results on Staked Lithium Claims Near Tonopah, Nevadaon December 2, 2021 at 6:16 am
American Battery Technology Company Surface Samples Historical and recent surface samples of American Battery Technology Company's Tonopah Flats Lithium Exploration Project in Little Smokey Valley ...
- PVDF Lithium Ion Batteries Binders Market 2022 Analysis, Growth, Size, Share, Trends, Forecast, Supply Demand to 2027on December 2, 2021 at 12:17 am
Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry.” Global “PVDF Lithium Ion Batteries ...
- Lithium Ion Cell and Battery Pack Market Growth, Top Countries Data, Cost Structures, Prominent Players, Latest Trends and Forecasts 2021-2026on December 1, 2021 at 11:17 pm
Global “Lithium Ion Cell and Battery Pack Market” is a professional and in-depth study on the current state of the ...
- New research reveals the mechanism of ion transport in aqueous lithium ion batterieson November 26, 2021 at 10:09 am
Lithium-ion batteries are notorious for being a fire hazard due to their flammable organic electrolytes. As such, there has been much effort to utilize water-based electrolytes as a safer alternative.
- Lithium-Ion Batteries Have Plunged in Cost by 97% – Here’s the Reasons Behind the Rapid Cost Declineon November 26, 2021 at 4:34 am
A new study finds that investments in R&D on materials and chemistry were key, while economies of scale contributed somewhat less. Lithium-ion batteries, those marvels of lightweight power that have ...
- Safe Handling Of Lithium Ion Batteries For Your Electric Vehicleon November 26, 2021 at 4:16 am
India’s push on electric mobility has been a vital and admirable move towards sustainable economic development. The Government has successfully implemented 529 crore worth phase 1 of Faster Adoption a ...
via Bing News