Safety testing of a pioneering ultrasound technique that could delay the effects of dementia will begin in Brisbane late next year, led by University of Queensland researchers.
Federal Minister for Health Greg Hunt MP has announced $10 million in funding, which along with philanthropic donations brings UQ closer to its $30 million goal to commence clinical trials and further progress the associated research.
The phase 1 trial involving a small number of patients will explore whether the technique developed at UQ’s Queensland Brain Institute (QBI) in 2015 is safe to use in the fight against the degenerative condition.
UQ QBI Director Professor Pankaj Sah said government and philanthropic funding would help researchers accelerate the development of the technique, understand the underlying mechanisms and how it might be used to more effectively treat dementia.
“The technology temporarily opens the blood-brain-barrier to remove toxic plaques from the brain and has successfully reversed Alzheimer’s symptoms and restored memory function in animal models,” Professor Sah said.
“The human safety trials late next year are the next step, representing an investment in research that is already underway.
“Funding is essential if we are to continue to move closer to producing a non-invasive treatment for dementia, which affects more than 350,000 people nationwide.”
Without a medical breakthrough, the number of Australians living with the disease is expected to increase to almost 1.1 million by 2056, bringing the cost of hospitalisation, care and lost productivity to more than $1 trillion.
UQ Vice-Chancellor and President Professor Peter Høj said urgent action for dementia was critical.
“We are thrilled to see Federal and State Governments partner with philanthropists and UQ to advance this important work,” he said.
“We must continue to build capacity in the dementia research sector by supporting students and early career dementia researchers.
“This funding will ensure we keep some of the world’s brightest minds focused on finding a cure for dementia, here in Brisbane.”
The Latest on: Dementia
via Google News
The Latest on: Dementia
- Rutherford County Sheriff’s Office looking for missing woman who suffers from dementiaon January 12, 2021 at 8:30 pm
The Rutherford County Sheriff’s Office is searching for a woman who went missing from her home Tuesday night. According to officials, 67-year-old Deborah Alsup, who suffers from dementia, was reported ...
- Pa. wife charged with causing death of husband with dementiaon January 12, 2021 at 5:11 pm
A Northumberland County woman has been accused of causing through neglect the death of her husband who suffered from dementia.
- Forget Memory, Try Imagination: A Social Innovator Takes On Dementiaon January 12, 2021 at 9:13 am
When memory fades, says TimeSlips founder Anne Basting, what survives is imagination, a creative force so powerful that it can break isolation, reconfigure relationships, and bring joy.
- LSP and Philip Scheltens launch new, unique fund to fight dementiaon January 12, 2021 at 2:33 am
LSP, the leading European life sciences investor, today announces the launch of the LSP Dementia Fund, a fund dedicated to ...
- CES 2021: iMediSync to showcase iSyncWave headset, aims at early Alzheimer's dementia detectionon January 11, 2021 at 9:29 am
iSyncWave is a gel-free, portable EEG brain mapping device with LED photo-biomodulators. It will also allow for individuals to facilitate regular check-ups to prevent degenerative neurological disorde ...
- Hullbridge: Robert Lewis murdered wife Janet after 'obsession' with dementiaon January 11, 2021 at 8:13 am
An 80-year-old man "obsessed" with the idea he had dementia murdered his wife of 60 years before attempting to kill himself, a jury heard. Robert Lewis stabbed and clubbed Janet Lewis, 76, as she ...
- Apple Partners With Biogen On Research Into Detecting Early Alzheimer's, Dementia Symptomson January 11, 2021 at 7:38 am
Biogen Inc (NASDAQ: BIIB), which has a fairly solid neurology-focused pipeline, announced Monday a collaboration with tech giant Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL). What ...
- Family seeks help locating missing Detroit man with dementiaon January 10, 2021 at 9:47 am
The family of Damon White, 59, is asking the public for assistance in locating the man who was last seen on Saturday, Jan. 9.
- Robin's Wish review – how a comedy giant was destroyed by dementiaon January 10, 2021 at 3:37 am
This informative insight into the little-known disease that killed Robin Williams is affecting but bleak ...
- Slidell-area man accused of sexually assaulting elderly neighbor with Alzheimer's, dementiaon January 8, 2021 at 1:15 pm
A Slidell-area man accused of sexually assaulting an elderly neighbor with advanced Alzheimer's and dementia has been arrested, the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office said.
via Bing News